Absa Cape Epic 2021 thread

Shebeen

1 hour ago, J Wakefield said:

As anyone knows pushing power, this is a big value to push over any duration.

Yet we saw him do it live.  I watched attentively and anecdotally was exceptionally impressed with Mr B’s protracted performance and effort, comparatively speaking.  Sê ma' net. Much respect to him!

Edited by justinafrika

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Despite the course profile creating the appearance that there is plenty of rest on the prologue course there actually isn't. The descents are short with lots of drainage ramps across the road. You have to pedal a lot. It looks deceptively easy but it's not. Therefore a high average power number would be expected if you know what the course entails.

27 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

Stage 1 ????

AD6C9010-85DE-4F4A-8AB9-AF92551B76FF.jpeg

I did the 55km ride at Eselfontein last week, parts of which is in today's stage.

You need to be wide awake !!  Come around a blind corner at speed, and then there is a washed out bit that needs to be hopped .... couple of tricky climbs ....

WISH I could be there to watch these guys fly through there ....

I'm assuming the 2nd place team with the rider in rainbow stripes is the marathon world champ? I thought the Epic was classed (rather oddly) as a XCO even as previously the XCO world champ (or Nino for short) raced in rainbow stripes?

Does anyone know if there is a live tracker option rather than a live YouTube feed?
Keen to follow the race, but can't actually watch it live.
Apparently, I have to actually do some work...

42 minutes ago, rock said:

I'm assuming the 2nd place team with the rider in rainbow stripes is the marathon world champ? I thought the Epic was classed (rather oddly) as a XCO even as previously the XCO world champ (or Nino for short) raced in rainbow stripes?

i remember them mentioning that during yesterdays broadcast that the Epic is now classed under the Marathon events (changed from XCO) and thus XCM WC gets to wear rainbows.

Edited by YaseenEnos

Just now, YaseenEnos said:

i remember them mentioning that in the broadcast that the Epic is no classed under the Marathon events and thus XCM WC gets to wear rainbows.

that does make more sense now, thanks.

1 hour ago, rock said:

This event is part of the new UCI World Marathon Series.

13 hours ago, 'Dale said:

Stunning moment captured by IG: @michaelcervenyphoto

CB28159F-2C8F-4EC6-845A-23ED8CD54894.jpeg

Yeah if you thought Belgian toothpaste was bad....

MATT BEERS.

the very very early indications are that we have a japie as hot favourite to take this one.

a)how will Sarrou deal with the multi day? he did epic in 2018 with Koretsky, they got top10s on prologue and stage 1, but then finished further down each day, dropping 90 minutes on the final stage to finish 3 hours back.

b)what backup have they got? ninetyone team 2is sauser and a youngster, they are 7mins back on stage 1, so not that much help. both Bulls and Buff-Scott have got their backup teams close by today. QUESTION, Can type dev nanotime (Matt's usual team) supply backup?