Absa Cape Epic 2021 thread

Shebeen

11 minutes ago, @grootlem said:

first big tummy bug victim, Karl Platt out. Will it spread through the rest of the team..

This is not good, all jokes aside, what a pity 

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

looks like the live broadcast has had an....Epic.....fail

Giro helicopters? on a perfect day. Pity we're missing the Canyon attack..

27 minutes ago, @grootlem said:

first big tummy bug victim, Karl Platt out. Will it spread through the rest of the team..

We don't know if it was a tummy bug or an issue with something he ate or drank. Let's not be drama mongers. 

7 minutes ago, Danger Dassie said:

We don't know if it was a tummy bug or an issue with something he ate or drank. Let's not be drama mongers. 

Huh? The Cape Epic posted h'es out with a tummy bug. Talk to them

14 minutes ago, @grootlem said:

Giro helicopters? on a perfect day. Pity we're missing the Canyon attack..

Don;tknow if it was uplink to heli that went failed but there was a bout 5-7min of buffering before it came back up. I have nightmares of this descent in 2016 and getting stung by a brazillion bees on the way up

Sarrou is pushing the pace on the descent and Matt's filing his nails

Edited by DieselnDust

5 minutes ago, @grootlem said:

Huh? The Cape Epic posted h'es out with a tummy bug. Talk to them

Commentators and social feed said stomach cramps. 

Sourroue and beers are flying down there and now on the flats. Sourrou has really impressed me, they make a good team, give beers a bells!!

12 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Don;tknow if it was uplink to heli that went failed but there was a bout 5-7min of buffering before it came back up. I have nightmares of this descent in 2016 and getting stung by a brazillion bees on the way up

Sarrou is pushing the pace on the descent and Matt's filing his nails

I remember that year, we'd missed that section in the media ride to get ahead of the group another colleague and his moto rider rerouted riders away from the hives. 

Actually impressed at Epic's media setup, especially this year. It's a high end ecosystem and integration.
Besides all the logistics around working with all the external media across all platforms, they also have their own internal team of permanent and contract media staff. To co-ordinate helicopters, OB, ebike with camera/audio, route motos and then produce both a live and highlights package on deadline is damn impressive. And on top of that with 4G and Youtube/FB as a viewing platform. All on top of a number photographic and digital media services. 

3 hours ago, ChrisF said:

I was watching the two lead ladies on the farm road leading back into Eselfontein.  They were MOVING !!

On that same stretch I very quickly spun out with my 36-11 ratio.

If they were running 36-10, they must have been turning those cranks super fast.  :eek:

Gearing up for speed is "okay" ... but damn, those are some nasty hills ....

I have utmost respect for these riders !

The difference between the 10t and 11t is quite impressive. Running a 38 11 is similar to a 34-10 (3.45 vs 3.4). Running a 36-10 gives you almost the same ratio as a 40-11. I have found the move from 11 to 10 on my gravel bike pretty impressive, and I was considering moving up a chainring size before but now I am pretty happy. 

Now don't get me started on the drivetrain inefficiencies of running a smaller front ring or a smaller cog on the back... 

Well done Matt Beers and partner. I still think Fridays stage could be the decisive one's where they will be tested on the big climbs