Absa Cape Epic 2021 thread

Shebeen

4 hours ago, Spafsack said:

Do we know what happened, is it runny tummy, chits and giggles?

Yeah they sat in mid A group not interested in setting pace from the gun. Seemed strange. 

Stopped twice (for nature call) before pulling off just after technical terrain climb. 

Hats off to Craig and Andrew for taking their opportunity and smashing the rest of the masters field. 

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Danger Dassie said:

I remember that year, we'd missed that section in the media ride to get ahead of the group another colleague and his moto rider rerouted riders away from the hives. 

Actually impressed at Epic's media setup, especially this year. It's a high end ecosystem and integration.
Besides all the logistics around working with all the external media across all platforms, they also have their own internal team of permanent and contract media staff. To co-ordinate helicopters, OB, ebike with camera/audio, route motos and then produce both a live and highlights package on deadline is damn impressive. And on top of that with 4G and Youtube/FB as a viewing platform. All on top of a number photographic and digital media services. 

it is groundbreaking what they're doing with the ebike coverage. I think they've dropped the 360' cameras they tried initially, too much waster data i guess. A huge part must be surely that Bulls is a small mtb brand but hugely commited to epic, they have the ebikes that are capable of riding the range and the terrain and the team riders who are recently retired hotshots. There was a bit today where Sahm almost collided with a rider who stopped unexpectedly, it took huge reactions and anticipation for him to avoid it.

What does suprirse me is that they're using live commentary, where GdK can ask queries and the audio comms goes onto the feed. but it's terribly borken and basically useless. must be a nice to have feature they never put the time into perfecting, as the video feed on youtube is 460p so the bandwidth is there.

3 hours ago, Hairy said:

Do you think that Matt's power comes from his mullet ..... image.png.88c906ad8bbf83ad68cd64e0b2b136dc.png

he's had a much more powerful mullet in te past, giving everyone else a chance with even a  bit of neck showing

Edited by Shebeen

5 hours ago, Shebeen said:

Today is the day for the Hanekom borthers to show their piece of paradise.

I've done that last donkey trail on foot. how rideable is it currently(because it wasn't then)?

135.20211015021713.orig.jpg

135.20200226011332.orig.jpg

Wagon trail is completely rideable. Very very technical in places. Don't think anything has changed on that trail in last few years. 

Killed me more than the climb to the top to be very honest. 

3 minutes ago, babse said:

Wagon trail is completely rideable. Very very technical in places. Don't think anything has changed on that trail in last few years. 

well done, you made it!

I've never ridden it, explored it in 2010 before dr evil discovered it. I know a lot of work was required to get the top section useable originally, and that would be continued work as it is flippen steep.

4 hours ago, Danger Dassie said:

I remember that year, we'd missed that section in the media ride to get ahead of the group another colleague and his moto rider rerouted riders away from the hives. 

Actually impressed at Epic's media setup, especially this year. It's a high end ecosystem and integration.
Besides all the logistics around working with all the external media across all platforms, they also have their own internal team of permanent and contract media staff. To co-ordinate helicopters, OB, ebike with camera/audio, route motos and then produce both a live and highlights package on deadline is damn impressive. And on top of that with 4G and Youtube/FB as a viewing platform. All on top of a number photographic and digital media services. 

Just wish they'd lose the stock music on the highlight packages. 

1 hour ago, peetwindhoek said:

Yes, please! At 80 RPM that is almost 4km/h faster then the 10T.

All your e-13 options here :P, then go speak to you local friendly LBS and go get those extra 4km/h ..... certainly a cheaper update than a S-Werxs Frame :P .... unless you @Sid the Slothand do not have the power to push a heavier gear ????

https://getstoked.store/product-category/components/drivetrain-brakes-pedals/cassettes/

11 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

it is groundbreaking what they're doing with the ebike coverage. I think they've dropped the 360' cameras they tried initially, too much waster data i guess. A huge part must be surely that Bulls is a small mtb brand but hugely commited to epic, they have the ebikes that are capable of riding the range and the terrain and the team riders who are recently retired hotshots. There was a bit today where Sahm almost collided with a rider who stopped unexpectedly, it took huge reactions and anticipation for him to avoid it.

What does suprirse me is that they're using live commentary, where GdK can ask queries and the audio comms goes onto the feed. but it's terribly borken and basically useless. must be a nice to have feature they never put the time into perfecting, as the video feed on youtube is 460p so the bandwidth is there.

Loving the ebike coverage, even the equipment bags are paired down compared to when they had those 3D things. Chest and helmet cam with onboard stabilisation, brilliant. Love the commentary option, agree about the link feed, but I'm sure it's something they'll work out. Today's stage they had some good clear comms with Stefan when he was with the Lill/Strauss pairing. Perhaps due to being closer to the race village. 
I saw on one of the CE feeds they mentioned they're utilising Vodacom 4G for much of the bandwidth and signal coverage. 

A couple of the TV/photographers (myself included) used to hate the ebike camera as we'd often capture them in footage and that bloody 360 camera sticks out like a sore thumb. Especially in stills, drove me mental. 

Just now, Hairy said:

All your e-13 options here :P, then go speak to you local friendly LBS and go get those extra 4km/h ..... certainly a cheaper update than a S-Werxs Frame :P .... unless you @Sid the Slothand do not have the power to push a heavier gear ????

https://getstoked.store/product-category/components/drivetrain-brakes-pedals/cassettes/

Spin to win baby. (I thought we established we want big rings up front and not small cogs at the back) 

23 minutes ago, babse said:

Sterkte, Bru!

Legs up. Eat like a lion. Sleep like a rock.

Edited by 'Dale

24 minutes ago, babse said:

Thank you for the feedback.

As a total "Epic noob" this thread and the YouTube feed is opening a new world to many of us.

VOORSPOED !!!

The mercury will rise into the 30s tomorrow and Thursday, then cooler days with likely rain on Friday, Saturday.

The Spez quartet looking formidable with healthy time gaps in both races. Hmmm, early days. 

10 hours ago, Hairy said:

Do you think that Matt's power comes from his mullet ..... 

We all know which is the business end and where the party is at, but what is the correct pronunciation ?
Is it: Mullit ?
Or a slightly more cosmopolitan flare: Mullay (like duvet or ballet)

????

Edited by splat

Wow, Beers is looking very strong. Would be interesting to see if he focused on the marathon world champs next year…

I have not watched the complete race footage so far, but how are the other sa pros doing?