Absa Cape Epic 2021 thread

Shebeen

30 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

agree with most of the above except for the heli bit. Although I have a solution for the Heli that does involve drones the licensing for the equipment is a small challenge that requires money but it can be d(r)one. Needs to be tested.

Two things about the presenter could improve: The hair and why the heck does she pull her jeans up so high!!???!!?? Why??!!?

Seriously though she should wear a mask.

not just an epic thing alone, but why is helicopter noise included in the commentary audio in all cycling coverage?

There is no point to it, it's not like the motorbike where you might actually get a bit of race audio.

in other sports there is a bucketload of thought that goes into it, whereas cycling it seems to be, "we spend 12% of our budget on a commentary team and 70% on the helicopter fuel. therefore audio levels will be set accordingly".

https://99percentinvisible.org/episode/the-sound-of-sports/

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

not just an epic thing alone, but why is helicopter noise included in the commentary audio in all cycling coverage?

There is no point to it, it's not like the motorbike where you might actually get a bit of race audio.

in other sports there is a bucketload of thought that goes into it, whereas cycling it seems to be, "we spend 12% of our budget on a commentary team and 70% on the helicopter fuel. therefore audio levels will be set accordingly".

https://99percentinvisible.org/episode/the-sound-of-sports/

ah on the audio. Somehow I don't really notice it over  the drone of Gerald's monotone

14 hours ago, OVERDRIVE said:

Loving the broadcast, loving the riding. What's super is when I get home I can watch it "live" if I ignore the news the whole day. 

Haven't seen Rob Hobson and and Russouw Bekker, the Titan boys, different kit or something? 

Spez chaps really came serious. 

riding for trainer road

been following trainer road team, poor Nate crashed out on stage 1

A quick question to all the knowledgeable Hubbers, as a keen follower of the Epic, I received unconfirmed information that one of the front teams allegedly had to swap out a bike with their 'back-up' team due to a failure of sorts.

The question I have; is it allowed to swap out bikes between teams on a mountain bike race, especially a UCI status race?

If not, what would the possible repercussions for the team be?

9 minutes ago, AfterDark said:

A quick question to all the knowledgeable Hubbers, as a keen follower of the Epic, I received unconfirmed information that one of the front teams allegedly had to swap out a bike with their 'back-up' team due to a failure of sorts.

The question I have; is it allowed to swap out bikes between teams on a mountain bike race, especially a UCI status race?

Nothing wrong with that as long as the number boards were swapped too

8 minutes ago, AfterDark said:

Saw insects science guys swap out components on route to allow the first team to carry on... 

Quite saw you cannot swap out bikes as timing board is personal. 

1 minute ago, DieselnDust said:

Ah then makes sense 

1 minute ago, DieselnDust said:

That's why I am asking because the UCI Cycling Regulations: Part IV Mountain Bike states:

Technical assistance
4.2.045 Technical assistance during a race is permitted subject to the conditions below.
4.2.046 Authorised technical assistance during a race consists of repairs to or the replacement of any part of the bicycle other than the frame. Bike changes are not permitted and the rider must cross the finish line with the same handlebar number plate that he had at the start.

4 minutes ago, AfterDark said:

That's why I am asking because the UCI Cycling Regulations: Part IV Mountain Bike states:

Technical assistance
4.2.045 Technical assistance during a race is permitted subject to the conditions below.
4.2.046 Authorised technical assistance during a race consists of repairs to or the replacement of any part of the bicycle other than the frame. Bike changes are not permitted and the rider must cross the finish line with the same handlebar number plate that he had at the start.

https://www.cape-epic.com/downloads/EpicSeriesRulesv19-02-19ACEhighlighted.pdf

Check out section 36. It appears to include frames. Not sure how these things work but maybe overwrites the general UCI rules?

7 minutes ago, Nick said:

https://www.cape-epic.com/downloads/EpicSeriesRulesv19-02-19ACEhighlighted.pdf

Check out section 36. It appears to include frames. Not sure how these things work but maybe overwrites the general UCI rules?

I see that rules are dated 2019 & the UCI one is in force from 10/06/2021. I would not think that local race rules can trump UCI regulations. But, there is a manager's meeting at 14:30 - let's see how Epic interpret the rules.

2 minutes ago, AfterDark said:

Seems you were correct.

The team was given a 5 minute time penalty for not swapping out their time chip when they changed over race numbers. 

Change of bikes are allowed in the race.

ouch !

On this topic ...

May the ebike rider assist with mechanical issues ?  Transport of spares ?