Absa Cape Epic 2021 thread

Shebeen

1 hour ago, @grootlem said:

Another possible cause for picking up a bug could be dirty river crossings, mud, cowdung all splashing up to the water bottles. I think a good hydration pack could help if thats the case. Anyway, it feels a bit like when Roglic crashed out of the Tour and race is for 2nd or 3rd. Hope there's more competition next year in all categories, just spoke to a very motivated "master" in Stellenbosch thats looking at who's leading that category and thinking he can go for the top spot. 

Platt has a tummy bug, so its likely theres a bug going around. Kids in my daughters class are down with gastro and even' i've had a bit of a rough night so its more likely just a Spring bug. 

the other place people it up is the water points. Everyone digging their sweaty hands into the food is going to spread bugs unless every thing available at the water points is prepacked? Any insights here?

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another possible cause for picking up a bug could be dirty river crossings, mud, cowdung all splashing up to the water bottles. I think a good hydration pack could help if thats the case. Anyway, it feels a bit like when Roglic crashed out of the Tour and race is for 2nd or 3rd. Hope there's more competition next year in all categories, just spoke to a very motivated "master" in Stellenbosch thats looking at who's leading that category and thinking he can go for the top spot. 

When I’m at the Tour I also believe I can finish with the front group on mountain stages.

10 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Platt has a tummy bug, so its likely theres a bug going around. Kids in my daughters class are down with gastro and even' i've had a bit of a rough night so its more likely just a Spring bug. 

the other place people it up is the water points. Everyone digging their sweaty hands into the food is going to spread bugs unless every thing available at the water points is prepacked? Any insights here?

From personal experience... i ate one of those WW sandwiches they hand out at the end of each stage and remember thinking this sandwich spread on here smells a bit funny....JOH i was so sick that night and the next stage, could not keep any food or liquid down long enough to be absorbed 

But ja the nature of the event, feeding stations etc.....creates many opportunities for a gogga to invade ones stomach

Hope there's more competition next year in all categories, just spoke to a very motivated "master" in Stellenbosch thats looking at who's leading that category and thinking he can go for the top spot. 

OMG ???? I'm not sure if its a bald statement or just a stupid one

53 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

What does this mean?

Scott and Cannondale currently don't have more than one lady on their teams. Scott having the One.

Bulls has never has a female if I recall.

Ya, we're on the same page. ????  "haven't always" is a nice way of saying "never" without having to comb through the teams' complete histories to account for anomalies. I simply listed the pro teams that have contributed to the competitiveness of the men's category as a comparison to the lack of similar support in the women's category. Because, as you say, women's cycling is super competitive but for various reasons Epic is an outlier for the level we hold it to.

Let's not forget the achievements of the 2017 winners (otherwise the streak would be a lot longer)!

3 hours ago, Carmichael said:

looking at the weather for tomorrow, it is going to be brutal with all the rain ... long slog with all mud and slippery slides up aap du huez

Are there any spots along Friday's route accessible to the public to watch the riders ?

35 minutes ago, Jbr said:

OMG ???? I'm not sure if its a bald statement or just a stupid one

Why? I think he can as the only real top team with Platt is out

2 hours ago, @grootlem said:

Would we not all get tummy bugs all the time riding then? I got sprayed by dirty, possibly dog poo filled water yesterday. So far it just feels like a grain of sand is stuck in one eye, but no bugs yet. 

On the S2C many years ago the field including me got the trots. Shorts down in mamba country was not much fun - or the 45 degree heat. I think its fellow riders more than anything else that leads to infections. Some have better immune systems than others. That and dodgy food like my S2C experience.

7 minutes ago, @grootlem said:

Why? I think he can as the only real top team with Platt is out

Misread your post I thought he said he thought he could be top step period, not in category. But still, considering Craig Boyes is only 7 mins up from the top masters teams, I highly doubt your "very motivated master" would be top spot ?

1 minute ago, Jbr said:

Misread your post I thought he said he thought he could be top step period, not in category. But still, considering Craig Boyes is only 7 mins up from the top masters teams, I highly doubt your "very motivated master" would be top spot ?

Wasn't Craig a last minute replacement? and top masters are behind winning ladies? But I will tell Erik :)

13 minutes ago, @grootlem said:

Wasn't Craig a last minute replacement? and top masters are behind winning ladies? But I will tell Erik :)

I had a feeling that's who you had in mind..

I'm wondering what sort of training it would take to podium in grand Masters.. Bart doesn't seem to have any competition

Edited by DieselnDust

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

Water points are stocked with the usual goods however everything is separately packed in paper cups... So if you want potatoes (my go2 at WPs), you pick up your own cup or 2 and toss in bin when you done. Same story with bread, sweets, dates and so on. 

If you want bottles filled, you must open it and they pour. They won't take bottle from you. 

USN stuff are all sealed. 

54 minutes ago, @grootlem said:

Nope Craig and Andrew are well ahead of the ladies... 

They have caught and passed them every day so far.

They are killing it!