Absa Cape Epic 2021 thread

Shebeen

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Are there any spots along Friday's route accessible to the public to watch the riders ?

Looks like WP1 is at the Imbuko packhouse.. quite easily accessible. Other point I was thinking of going: park at the top of Du Toitskloof and walk the little dirt road down. That is where they will summit Hawaqua before descending down towards Scouts Trail.

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

Haven't they specifically stated no spectators?

Demmit .... brain fade ....

Seeing the odd spectator on the broadcasts got me thinking ....

Can dream up many reasons, from lockdown changed to being vaxxed ....

But I will rather respect the rules.  

14 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Why was the finish changed from Wellington to Goudini ?  (jip, only watching small bits, and not getting the story)

no traffic allowed over Bainskloof due to long term roadworks 

16 minutes ago, babse said:

I have my family coming to fetch me at Val de Vie on Sunday... But they won't be spectating ????

The chicken burger by the pool is prime ????????

Every year I have epic FOMO. Following the updates doesn't help. 

This year I'm on holiday with my family, and while chilling in the hottub last night while it was raining outside I told my wife that I'm really glad to not be sleeping in a tiny tent and have to slog through the mud tomorrow. This year the FOMO is a bit less. 

Edited by PhilipV

Last year Neil did it for me spending half the day complimenting Avancini and Fumic's decision to ride with a hydration pack as though it was the first time any rider had done this and ignoring the weight penalty. Neil just lowers the IQ and speaks to a complete novice rider level....I enjoy Annika and also enjoyed Robbie McEwan last year...I find Gerald overdoes the adjectives a bit and falls into the SA commentators often overdone strategy of complimenting everybody involved too often....yes. compliment the trail builders at the beginning of the session maybe and then comnentate the race objectively. The SA commentators are often just too "nice". Pity we couldn't get the same team ax the MTB WC...but that comes at a significant cost.

Like SKY F1....past drivers give an honest rendition thus I would have preferred a more charismatic anchor with just Annika and or another rider.