Absa Cape Epic 2021 thread

Shebeen

Leaders just met a big troop of baboons head on in the single tracks! Barely slowed them down though..  

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Same same

'Don't touch me in my studio' vs 'Please don't touch me in my studio'

not really,

one is enforceable the other is a request that appeals to conscience.

Cape Epic cant enforce their requests on public property. Val De Vie or other private property can enforce no spectators by not allowing access.

47 minutes ago, love2fly said:

Last year Neil did it for me spending half the day complimenting Avancini and Fumic's decision to ride with a hydration pack as though it was the first time any rider had done this and ignoring the weight penalty. Neil just lowers the IQ and speaks to a complete novice rider level....I enjoy Annika and also enjoyed Robbie McEwan last year...I find Gerald overdoes the adjectives a bit and falls into the SA commentators often overdone strategy of complimenting everybody involved too often....yes. compliment the trail builders at the beginning of the session maybe and then comnentate the race objectively. The SA commentators are often just too "nice". Pity we couldn't get the same team ax the MTB WC...but that comes at a significant cost.

Like SKY F1....past drivers give an honest rendition thus I would have preferred a more charismatic anchor with just Annika and or another rider.

Liezel doing the interviews pre and post stage is useless, surely they could have got somebody who can ask decent questions 

1 minute ago, bolt67 said:

Liezel doing the interviews pre and post stage is useless, surely they could have got somebody who can ask decent questions 

I think she is there as the "celeb status"

6 minutes ago, J Wakefield said:

Listening to kids scream and cry during a plane flight is better than listening to her this epic. 

Last year was a Spanish lady who didn't bother to learn the names and in the interview introduced..."Now we go to the red rider... " ????

4 minutes ago, J Wakefield said:

Listening to kids scream and cry during a plane flight is better than listening to her this epic. 

Epic has always had a fascination with SA 'celebs' - one would have thought it would have grown up by now - even an ex doper with some insight would offer better questions. Maybe it is a question of budget. Would love to hear Hermida behind that mike.

Matt's thousand yard stare straight ahead when she asks him a question says it all. 

Just now, tubed said:

Epic has always had a fascination with SA 'celebs' - one would have thought it would have grown up by now - even an ex doper with some insight would offer better questions. Maybe it is a question of budget. Would love to hear Hermida behind that mike.

Matt's thousand yard stare straight ahead when she asks him a question says it all. 

I am sure the local Celebs do not come cheap!

1 minute ago, tubed said:

To add, we surely have some local racers not doing the Epic that could fill this spot and formulate relevant questions and commentary 

29 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

not really,

one is enforceable the other is a request that appeals to conscience.

Cape Epic cant enforce their requests on public property. Val De Vie or other private property can enforce no spectators by not allowing access.

We all know the risks of "big crowds" .... especially with our low vaccination rate.

So as a "spectator" I will step back, doing my bit to keep the numbers lower .... and thus creating a safer spot for the riders and their families.

Small gesture in the bigger scheme, just doing my bit 

Just now, jcza said:

Jeez you okes can moan! Oh wait its Friday, as you were. 

Just enjoy the spectacle and Beers/Sarrou in the leaders jerseys. Very impressed with Buys and du Toit. 

The same as with the general mindset of cycling or life in general ... minimal gains, gains that take you forwards and help you grow and improve.

That is what our comments are. Minimal gains. Get the commentary right and you hold your audience better and longer with more interest.

Moaning because it is Friday is just so 1992. 

2 minutes ago, Hairy said:

To add, we surely have some local racers not doing the Epic that could fill this spot and formulate relevant questions and commentary 

assuming they don't have day jobs of course...

...o wait

2 minutes ago, jcza said:

Jeez you okes can moan! Oh wait its Friday, as you were. 

Just enjoy the spectacle and Beers/Sarrou in the leaders jerseys. Very impressed with Buys and du Toit. 

Could swear they have not heard of a mute button ....

REALLY need comic sans font ....

2 minutes ago, Hairy said:

I am sure the local Celebs do not come cheap!

I think you might be surprised what Covid has done to all of those who relied on freebie marketing budgets or MC duties. 

The go to athletes mopping up at the moment are TatjanaS, GregM and some of the rugby folk. For the rest it is very slim pickings.

17 minutes ago, tubed said:

Second that, Also think Hermida would be awesome behind the mic.