Absa Cape Epic 2021 thread

Shebeen

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, tubed said:

Epic has always had a fascination with SA 'celebs' - one would have thought it would have grown up by now - even an ex doper with some insight would offer better questions. Maybe it is a question of budget. Would love to hear Hermida behind that mike.

Matt's thousand yard stare straight ahead when she asks him a question says it all. 

If they want a female, im all for it, then use Sam Sanders who will add insight, ask valued questions and not asking "was that fun today" to the rider in Yellow who blew 15km before and has no recollection other than knowing what Matt's rear derailuer looks like  

36 minutes ago, love2fly said:

Last year was a Spanish lady who didn't bother to learn the names and in the interview introduced..."Now we go to the red rider... " ????

Yes but her accent...????

3 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Yes but her accent...????

Didn't want to raise that....yeah, hectic..  sounded very Columbian....

7 minutes ago, J Wakefield said:

If they want a female, im all for it, then use Sam Sanders who will add insight, ask valued questions and not asking "was that fun today" to the rider in Yellow who blew 15km before and has no recollection other than knowing what Matt's rear derailuer looks like  

Now that's a fine idea

6 minutes ago, Jay F said:

If they don't tell you they are they will stare at you until you recognise them 

Remind me of the joke, how do you know someone studied at Maties?

They will tell you ....  :)

26 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

What is a "local Celeb"? Do we have any?

at one point she was "Cycling Celeb" enough that CWC used her voice on their call answering system ... does not say much, but says something.

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

not really,

one is enforceable the other is a request that appeals to conscience.

Cape Epic cant enforce their requests on public property. Val De Vie or other private property can enforce no spectators by not allowing access.

They are the same. Both say the same thing. No spectators.

If you, as a person, know that they have requested this but still go to spectate then you are part of the problem which paints cyclists in a bad light.

Arguing or stating a technicality without appreciating context always takes me back to something my mom told me 'You can choose to be right or you can choose to have friends' .. Sometimes it's better to look at a situation and say 'yeah, no spectators, cool' instead of having to point out loopholes and 'be smarter' than everyone.

A bit like your backpedaling with the brain on Matt's bike. No one, especially you with your absolute fine attention to detail would say 'Matt's bike was brainless' while referring to the fork and not specify.

I'm calling you out on this. 

As above. Whether they have requested, asked or stated, if you go and spectate despite being aware of the request you are a giant ass

1 minute ago, dexterdent said:

Look, I studied there and this is not at all true.

Only joking.  I was actually told this joke by a old Matie.  As a Tukkie, its still funny ....  ????

Jeeez tough crowd.

Commentators have to appeal to a wide audience so they can't tailor their technical level to just you...

They have to chat for 4-5 hours so some inane chatter is going to creep in.

GdK's geography and local is spectacular, NG's tech knowledge is interesting and AL's insider knowledge is pretty cool.

Beers in yellow - BOOM! Bring it home!

19 minutes ago, Hairy said:

at one point she was "Cycling Celeb" enough that CWC used her voice on their call answering system ... does not say much, but says something.

i see what you did there...