Absa Cape Epic 2021 thread

Shebeen

4 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

They are the same. Both say the same thing. No spectators.

If you, as a person, know that they have requested this but still go to spectate then you are part of the problem which paints cyclists in a bad light.

Arguing or stating a technicality without appreciating context always takes me back to something my mom told me 'You can choose to be right or you can choose to have friends' .. Sometimes it's better to look at a situation and say 'yeah, no spectators, cool' instead of having to point out loopholes and 'be smarter' than everyone.

A bit like your backpedaling with the brain on Matt's bike. No one, especially you with your absolute fine attention to detail would say 'Matt's bike was brainless' while referring to the fork and not specify.

I'm calling you out on this. 

As above. Whether they have requested, asked or stated, if you go and spectate despite being aware of the request you are a giant ass

argh please man don't be so motorist. If I happen to be in the area and need to stop on the side of the road to pee then how does that make me a bad cyclist?

But in all seriousness, I'mnot going to drive all the way to Paarl to spectate in the rain. If I was in the area i certainly would pop in to support pals riding the event. Yeah I'll wear my mask but I'm not going to pandy to your view of the world. You seem to think everyone has to abide by your views or "be called out"....you're picking a fight with the wrong person.

Edited by DieselnDust

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Sid the Sloth said:

ALAN SHOULD BE THERE INSTEAD OF RIPPING EVERYONE'S LEGS OFF IN THE ROAD RACES

Damn right, last killarney crit was embarrassing for everyone except Theuns VDB

Just now, Jbr said:

Damn right, last killarney crit was embarrassing for everyone except Theuns VDB

Good thing I was doing my warm up for KOM hunting in the north wester lol... Maybe next week

1 hour ago, jcza said:

Jeez you okes can moan! Oh wait its Friday, as you were. 

Just enjoy the spectacle and Beers/Sarrou in the leaders jerseys. Very impressed with Buys and du Toit. 

Wessel/Tristan showed a lot of fighting spirit over the last half of the stage after Wessel went down hard, lost loads of time and had to replace his seat post. I would hope there is still a race in it between Pyga / Typedev for the red, would make for great viewing.

2 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

They are the same. Both say the same thing. No spectators.

If you, as a person, know that they have requested this but still go to spectate then you are part of the problem which paints cyclists in a bad light.

Arguing or stating a technicality without appreciating context always takes me back to something my mom told me 'You can choose to be right or you can choose to have friends' .. Sometimes it's better to look at a situation and say 'yeah, no spectators, cool' instead of having to point out loopholes and 'be smarter' than everyone.

A bit like your backpedaling with the brain on Matt's bike. No one, especially you with your absolute fine attention to detail would say 'Matt's bike was brainless' while referring to the fork and not specify.

I'm calling you out on this. 

As above. Whether they have requested, asked or stated, if you go and spectate despite being aware of the request you are a giant ass

There have hundreds of people, family members, locals all supporting riders on at road crossings, their private farms and general places accessible to the public.

The Epic themselves have stated they cannot and will not try and prevent this. In fact on one of the stage previews they even mentioned a location for an "un official" supporters point. 

I certainly don't label these people coming out to these isolated spaces to support family and friends as "giant asses" but as you were. 

On 10/20/2021 at 9:01 PM, vanniri said:

Cycling in general is a participation sport, moreso for marathon than XCO (insofar mtb), Rampage events (all) are viewers sports. By its very nature participation sports promotes/sells products, whilst viewer sports promotes/sells experiences. 

How many of the CE live stream viewers ride mtb vs. Rampage viewers actually physically getting into on-screen like action?

Rampage is the pinnacle of gravity MTB which includes downhill, enduro and trail riding. Around the world more people do this kind of gravity fueled MTB riding or aspire to it than people who want to slog for 600 km. Bike sales around the world bear this out, everywhere except here. So you may be right about MTB in SA, but I was looking at the global picture. If you follow international MTB media and YouTube the focus is very different in the EU, UK and North America

24 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Rampage is the pinnacle of gravity MTB which includes downhill, enduro and trail riding. Around the world more people do this kind of gravity fueled MTB riding or aspire to it than people who want to slog for 600 km. Bike sales around the world bear this out, everywhere except here. So you may be right about MTB in SA, but I was looking at the global picture. If you follow international MTB media and YouTube the focus is very different in the EU, UK and North America

Have you got some stats/links to bike sales (types and numbers) of bicycles sold? I've always been curious and can never find decent data!

8 minutes ago, Eldron said:

Have you got some stats/links to bike sales (types and numbers) of bicycles sold? I've always been curious and can never find decent data!

I'd also like some - I'm going on info gleaned from articles, comments and videos I've read or watched over many years. I've been told by UK family and friends that you have to look quite hard to fine something like an Epic because the shops are all full of trail and enduro bikes. The UK is probably a bad example as it barely has any lift assisted riding while France and North America  has a lot more. 

2 minutes ago, Headshot said:

I'd also like some - I'm going on info gleaned from articles, comments and videos I've read or watched over many years. I've been told by UK family and friends that you have to look quite hard to fine something like an Epic because the shops are all full of trail and enduro bikes. The UK is probably a bad example as it barely has any lift assisted riding while France and North America  has a lot more. 

I always thought the most sold bikes (by a looooong way) were the boring old alu hard tail slx deore spec bikes and that xco xcm dh enduro etc were ALL pretty niche.

It would be cool to see actual numbers - as haven't tried that hard but haven't really found anything useful.

1 minute ago, Eldron said:

I always thought the most sold bikes (by a looooong way) were the boring old alu hard tail slx deore spec bikes and that xco xcm dh enduro etc were ALL pretty niche.

It would be cool to see actual numbers - as haven't tried that hard but haven't really found anything useful.

I've put out a request for data on Pinkbike - lets see if anyone bites. I think sales is only a part of the story - its the kind of riding people do. Overseas, people seem to want to learn skills, and ride trail centers and big mountains, so you'll find many people on those boring HT bikes doing just that... 

7 minutes ago, Headshot said:

I've put out a request for data on Pinkbike - lets see if anyone bites. I think sales is only a part of the story - its the kind of riding people do. Overseas, people seem to want to learn skills, and ride trail centers and big mountains, so you'll find many people on those boring HT bikes doing just that... 

I think you're getting some social media bias in there. The vast majority of people just want to ride their mtb along pretty boring trail to get outdoors, have some fun, do some exercise etc. It's only on social media that the more extreme/cool/redbully style stuff gets decent airtime.