Absa Cape Epic 2021 thread

Shebeen

2 hours ago, babse said:

There have hundreds of people, family members, locals all supporting riders on at road crossings, their private farms and general places accessible to the public.

The Epic themselves have stated they cannot and will not try and prevent this. In fact on one of the stage previews they even mentioned a location for an "un official" supporters point. 

I certainly don't label these people coming out to these isolated spaces to support family and friends as "giant asses" but as you were. 

Ignore the Karenism, try not to rise to it even on a Friday 

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Headshot said:

I've put out a request for data on Pinkbike - lets see if anyone bites. I think sales is only a part of the story - its the kind of riding people do. Overseas, people seem to want to learn skills, and ride trail centers and big mountains, so you'll find many people on those boring HT bikes doing just that... 

I'm looking fir more data that breaks it down further but no luck so far

image1_1.png?itok=Pvu-Mgsb

Edited by DieselnDust

23 minutes ago, Christie said:

Interesting wheels:

" Rolling Corey along are Astral Serpentine carbon wheels, which have a 30mm internal rim diameter"

The wheels will look very small compared to standard 29" (+/- 730mm ) diameter ones.

:ph34r:

You have got to revel in bike journos getting English so wrong 

1 hour ago, Christie said:

Interesting wheels:

" Rolling Corey along are Astral Serpentine carbon wheels, which have a 30mm internal rim diameter"

The wheels will look very small compared to standard 29" (+/- 730mm ) diameter ones.

:ph34r:

https://astralcycling.com/products/serpentine-carbon-wheelset

Wheelset name was unknown to me before article.

https://astralcycling.com/products/serpentine-carbon-wheelset

25 minutes ago, copperhead said:

The absa cape boring. We have shortened the day as we feel some of the trails may not hold up with the rain predicted. Then fix them afterwards. Goodness me. What a load of doggy poop. It is supposed to be hard. Oh well. Maybe next year ebikes will be allowed. Maybe it's just me ????

Epic doesn't contribute a cent towards trail maintenance after the event. 

29 minutes ago, copperhead said:

The absa cape boring. We have shortened the day as we feel some of the trails may not hold up with the rain predicted. Then fix them afterwards. Goodness me. What a load of doggy poop. It is supposed to be hard. Oh well. Maybe next year ebikes will be allowed. Maybe it's just me ????

Add ebikes and then one less fan. (not that it matters)

Yeah it has been bucketing down most of the night and it's still coming down quite a bit in Wellington. 

Those 8kms they have cut out will make no difference at all in these conditions. 

It's going to be a wild day. Hope bike holds up ????

19 minutes ago, babse said:

Yeah it has been bucketing down most of the night and it's still coming down quite a bit in Wellington. 

Those 8kms they have cut out will make no difference at all in these conditions. 

It's going to be a wild day. Hope bike holds up ????

Best wishes.

27mm in Bellville over night, and currently bucketing down .... heading your way ...

Stay safe and have a good ride

So it's an 8am start for the UCI men and 8km shorter to eliminate two particularly muddy sections where the descents would be treacherous and hard to reach by medical vehicles.ithink this is a good decision as o know those bits of trail. 

Have a great ride Babse and other Epic riders still in the race. Two of my pals. Didn't make the cutoff last night ????. They said it was super tough out there in the wind by mid afternoon

1 minute ago, DieselnDust said:

So it's an 8am start for the UCI men and 8km shorter to eliminate two particularly muddy sections where the descents would be treacherous and hard to reach by medical vehicles.ithink this is a good decision as o know those bits of trail. 

Have a great ride Babse and other Epic riders still in the race. Two of my pals. Didn't make the cutoff last night ????. They said it was super tough out there in the wind by mid afternoon

The one thing the broadcasts cant do ... it simply can not convey the climbs, the wind, just how trying these trails are ....

Doing this 8 days in a row .... RESPECT !!

3 hours ago, copperhead said:

Why is Annika not racing?

She is a dentist now ???? And a Spesh Ambassador of course. She is doing some interesting and different stuff on the bike these days. She rides an ebike from time to time ????????