Absa Cape Epic 2021 thread

Shebeen

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have the 'CamelPacks' made a comeback now that they look like you're wearing a 'GoPro chest mount'?

Even saw one at a local race in Alberhoughton yesterday ????

3 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

Have the 'CamelPacks' made a comeback now that they look like you're wearing a 'GoPro chest mount'?

Even saw one at a local race in Alberhoughton yesterday ????

Camelbak were used I'm sure but the harness looking one is called A uswe 

Not sure if that is the brand name or standard 

Cause I have a leatt pack that uses the same strap system and also says uswe on the pack in small lettering 

3 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

Cause I have a leatt pack that uses the same strap system and also says uswe on the pack in small lettering 

Hence I said 'CamelPack' and not Camelbak ????

50 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

USWE is a (Swedish) brand. Available in SA.

Back home in Gauteng .I had an awesome experience. The western cape is absolutely beautiful and the stages ,trails, were memorable but sections were exceptionally tough and technical and slowed us down ,especially the last 30 km of each stage they made us ride the downhill section of the local valley trail up. That is how it felt in any case .Our non riding time each day was between 60 and 90 minutes .That includes waterpoints and walking climbs and descents sometimes .For me and listening to other riders ,this edition was a lot tougher than 2019 . I had some tire and dropper post problems on stage six and with the rain and cold it made putting in two tubes very difficult with cold slippery hands .Two friends went to hospital for surgery and i saw some broken riders along the way ,mostly trying to make up time on sketchy downhills .Respect to all who finished and especially the last lions whom i had the pleasure to meet . 

Edited by eala

34 minutes ago, eala said:

Back home in Gauteng .I had a awesome experience.The western cape is absolutely beautiful and the stages ,trails, were memorable but sections were exceptionally tough and technical and slowed us down ,especially the last 30 km of each stage they made us ride the downhill section of the local valley trail up.That is how it felt in any case .Our non riding time each day was between 60 and 90 minutes .That includes waterpoints and walking climbs and descents sometimes .For me and listening to other riders ,this edition was a lot tougher than 2019 . I had some tire and dropper post problems on stage six and with the rain and cold it made putting in two tubes very difficult with cold slippery hands .Two friends went to hospital for surgery and i saw some broken riders along the way ,mostly trying to make up time on sketchy downhills .Respect to all who finished and especially the last lions whom i had the pleasure to meet . 

Congrats and well done to all that finished. It is for sure an awesome achievement. Seeing how the pro's were suffering up front, my thoughts went out to the regular Joes and Janes making up the bulk of the field. 

My Epic Summary:

The Route

Was extra special to do the Prologue on TM where I have been riding/training all my life (except when there are fires and I'm forced to ride Constantia trails bleh).   

Ceres and Tulbah stages were probably the hardest stages (not a paper) but the terrain makes it so demanding you literary have to work for every KM (think Esel) and to have them early really set the tone for a hard week of riding.

The shorted stage was probably the only respite we had but only because it was shortened. If we had gone over Bain and into Wellington trails this stage would have been another hard day.

The riders queen stage on stage 5 was probably my hardest day in the saddle but managed to keep my **** together and finish sane.

The trails overall were aplenty. Lots of technical bits along the way as mentioned by @ealawhich I imagine quite a bit of the riders struggled with and walked.  I have no issue with this. Our normal 1 day races should include more technical trails and force riders to upskill (no dig at anyone).

The Village 

Pretty much the same vibe as previous obviously with regulations in place. We had a daily temp check to complete which I found annoying only because I find the temp check inaccurate therefore irrelevant.

Big difference in the village was the dinner awards and ride preview for the next day. These are normally live on stage and creates a bit of excitement. This was pre recorded and shown on TV screen around the dinner marquee.

Hats off to organizers for making alternative sleeping arrangements on rain days.

Ablutions were cleaned after every use which was comforting. 

The catering  

Breakfast and dinner was buffet style and catered for all. No issues here.

Bottled water was on tap all around the village. Thanks Thirsti!!!

Woolies lunches were decent but limited. We finished around noon every day. From then until supper at 6pm we had no food options. There was a vendor selling wraps that were average and way overpriced.

Woolies also had a coffee station which was great.

Well done to all finishes as this was a hard week of riding.

Now back to catching up on work mails.

3 hours ago, eala said:

Back home in Gauteng .I had a awesome experience.The western cape is absolutely beautiful and the stages ,trails, were memorable but sections were exceptionally tough and technical and slowed us down ,especially the last 30 km of each stage they made us ride the downhill section of the local valley trail up.That is how it felt in any case .Our non riding time each day was between 60 and 90 minutes .That includes waterpoints and walking climbs and descents sometimes .For me and listening to other riders ,this edition was a lot tougher than 2019 . I had some tire and dropper post problems on stage six and with the rain and cold it made putting in two tubes very difficult with cold slippery hands .Two friends went to hospital for surgery and i saw some broken riders along the way ,mostly trying to make up time on sketchy downhills .Respect to all who finished and especially the last lions whom i had the pleasure to meet . 

Congratulations on the finish. Its a super tough race and unless you have bene there you can't really describe how its a step factor above everything else you see or do. No Sani or W2W will prepare you for the gruelling climbs day after day and the relentless toll on our body and mind. the front looks like a normal stage race. The guys at the back who are just trying to finish look like a ward out of the crimean war with all the bandages and scratches and cuts and bracings etc. It's a pity they only reflect the winners rather than the real inside story of the struggle to survive most people have. It's a huge commitment to even arrive on the line of that race and the weather always throws a curved ball in to the mix.

This is true Paul. I watched everyday, loved it. I thought to myself, the normal guys, when do they start and finish each day. How many hours on the saddle daily. Shower, eat, min sleep, repeat the next day, must be hectic tough. Hats off!   

Man I enjoyed that.

I had it on in the shop all week and was educating my clients on all things South African/Epic.

1 of my customers was there and cracked top 10 in his category.

All the pain, memories, good times, struggles etc flooded back (from both Epic and South Africa in general).

I love it here in Denmark but SA still has a firm hold on my heart ????

1 hour ago, babse said:

My Epic Summary:

The Route

Was extra special to do the Prologue on TM where I have been riding/training all my life (except when there are fires and I'm forced to ride Constantia trails bleh).   

Ceres and Tulbah stages were probably the hardest stages (not a paper) but the terrain makes it so demanding you literary have to work for every KM (think Esel) and to have them early really set the tone for a hard week of riding.

The shorted stage was probably the only respite we had but only because it was shortened. If we had gone over Bain and into Wellington trails this stage would have been another hard day.

The riders queen stage on stage 5 was probably my hardest day in the saddle but managed to keep my **** together and finish sane.

The trails overall were aplenty. Lots of technical bits along the way as mentioned by @ealawhich I imagine quite a bit of the riders struggled with and walked.  I have no issue with this. Our normal 1 day races should include more technical trails and force riders to upskill (no dig at anyone).

The Village 

Pretty much the same vibe as previous obviously with regulations in place. We had a daily temp check to complete which I found annoying only because I find the temp check inaccurate therefore irrelevant.

Big difference in the village was the dinner awards and ride preview for the next day. These are normally live on stage and creates a bit of excitement. This was pre recorded and shown on TV screen around the dinner marquee.

Hats off to organizers for making alternative sleeping arrangements on rain days.

Ablutions were cleaned after every use which was comforting. 

The catering  

Breakfast and dinner was buffet style and catered for all. No issues here.

Bottled water was on tap all around the village. Thanks Thirsti!!!

Woolies lunches were decent but limited. We finished around noon every day. From then until supper at 6pm we had no food options. There was a vendor selling wraps that were average and way overpriced.

Woolies also had a coffee station which was great.

Well done to all finishes as this was a hard week of riding.

Now back to catching up on work mails.

Well done, you guys rode an excellent race????

The Ceres , Tulbagh, RawsonVille area has some properly rough trails. One mistake and all your prep is down the drain. 

I'd love to give the Eoic abash agian when the route is similar to 2021. The Southern Cape routes are quite tame in comparison or maybe I just know the trails a lot better than the more Northern routes.

49 minutes ago, Paul Ruinaard said:

Congratulations on the finish. Its a super tough race and unless you have bene there you can't really describe how its a step factor above everything else you see or do. No Sani or W2W will prepare you for the gruelling climbs day after day and the relentless toll on our body and mind. the front looks like a normal stage race. The guys at the back who are just trying to finish look like a ward out of the crimean war with all the bandages and scratches and cuts and bracings etc. It's a pity they only reflect the winners rather than the real inside story of the struggle to survive most people have. It's a huge commitment to even arrive on the line of that race and the weather always throws a curved ball in to the mix.

Couldn't agree more.. Would love to see more of the back of the pack riders than always the top 5 guys and girls. Like the Comrades. I always watch the last 20min. Those are the real Comrades heroes..

The highlights package used to include the amateurs at the back. Back in the day there was a 1hr highlights package a week after the event  followed by a 1hr documentary on the amateurs struggles. That's gone long time. The interest has been generated so no need to showcase the backmarker struggles other than for 50 images flashed up at high speed in the last 40 seconds of the highlights broadcast