Cape Town Cycle Tour 2022

Pure Savage

23 hours ago, 'Dale said:

Cramp is caused by fatique or overexertion. The fittest bra can cramp if fatigued. One can often see Worldtour professionals cramp deep into week 3 of the Grand Tours.

Too true, the main culprit is going out too strong with all the hype etc. I have done it many times, but these days my body says slow down way before it becomes an issue.

The hype is real and the rush id great. At CTCT, Smits is where it all goes wrong. Then you feel it at Soetwater a bit and small Chappies does the final bit of damage. Got the T-shirt more than once.

But yes if correctly paced (slower start, give it horns the last 40km) you are golden. No cramps and 3:30 to 3:50 guaranteed.

It is the slower start that is the issue.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, ouzo said:

Well conditioned is relative. 
you are on another level. 

I am the fittest and strongest I’ve ever been for the 20+ years of riding I’ve done, yet to do a 3:40 took max effort for me, guys like Savage come along and do 3;40 on their cool down lap, and then crazy blokes come along and do those times on frakensteined kiddies bikes. 

As said in a previous post, pace baby pace. Slow start give faster times.

1 hour ago, MORNE said:

@buchanan is that you? lol (chit, didnt mean to summon you, please forgive me)

anyway meh.  There are as many opinions about nutrition as there are 'nutritionist' on this planet lol. It is a very convoluted and opinionated field, it is arguably one of the messiest fields (scientifically) in existence - why there is a new fad diet every second day. Copy pasting something from google means nothing..I can google something to countert that too...thats how useless it is. They are like a$$holes as we say. 

I'm trying salted liquorice next. The dutch know something about cycling...maybe their sweets hold the key haha

I feel like you just changed your argument completely.

You: Here are two things that cause cramping for a fact.
Me: Those two theories are common, but no science backing them.
You: There are even more theories that science doesn't back, so who should I believe?
Me: (...) The science? 

I just gave you a couple of quotes, but they are from published research, not just google, and they are in line with the current body of evidence. Want to stop cramping? Git Gud.

Edited by bleedToWin

13 hours ago, TDFN said:

Too true, the main culprit is going out too strong with all the hype etc. I have done it many times, but these days my body says slow down way before it becomes an issue.

The hype is real and the rush id great. At CTCT, Smits is where it all goes wrong. Then you feel it at Soetwater a bit and small Chappies does the final bit of damage. Got the T-shirt more than once.

But yes if correctly paced (slower start, give it horns the last 40km) you are golden. No cramps and 3:30 to 3:50 guaranteed.

It is the slower start that is the issue.

I've done this 17 times. My normal modus operandi was start slow, hook up with a group if possible once onto the blue route, suckwheel until as close to smits as possible, climb smits at my own pace, recover for a bit and then try and catch a group until the little climb out of misty cliffs. After that I was always done for, the rest of the ride was just me trying to get to the finish. There was no giving it horns for the last 40km, there was nothing to give.

Despite going balls to the wall from the start, this was the first year I had enough left in me to be able to grab the wheel of someone faster and comfortably hold on through to the finish mats. It speaks volumes about my increased fitness levels.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know when entries for 2022 CTCT will open ?

Does it normally sell out fast ?

Never done this before and want to give it a go in 2022.

59 minutes ago, Koos Likkewaan said:

No news yet on when the entries open.

Unlikely to sell out fast if the past few years is anything to go by.

1 hour ago, Koos Likkewaan said:

Going by the positive feedback from cyclists of  the CTCT this month it  seems a possibilty.

On 10/16/2021 at 9:14 AM, ouzo said:

I've done this 17 times. My normal modus operandi was start slow, hook up with a group if possible once onto the blue route, suckwheel until as close to smits as possible, climb smits at my own pace, recover for a bit and then try and catch a group until the little climb out of misty cliffs. After that I was always done for, the rest of the ride was just me trying to get to the finish. There was no giving it horns for the last 40km, there was nothing to give.

Despite going balls to the wall from the start, this was the first year I had enough left in me to be able to grab the wheel of someone faster and comfortably hold on through to the finish mats. It speaks volumes about my increased fitness levels.

I got a bit of Deja vu reading this.

Haven't done 17 Tours, but in my handful +1 I've fallen into the trap of chasing the pack from the start, only to bonk around 70km and crawl to the finish.

This year I consciously went out at my own tempo up to Wynberg Hill and from there set out to grab a lekker group along the M3 and suck wheel to Smits.

Things went a bit pear shaped from the Red Hill chill zone all the way into Noordhoek where the group completely disintegrated with people stopping for refreshments etc. and me having to fight my way through with only 2 or 3 other people trying to chase the pack.

This effort took a lot of wind out of my sails that I was saving up for Chappies and Suikerbossie.

It's crazy how quickly a 10m gap can turn into 50m and it's goodbye/good luck to you.

12 minutes ago, Jase619 said:

Entries open next week:

R650 entry fee

> 2 November, 1pm: Paid-up PPA and Club 21 members:
> 5 November, 1pm: All 2021 entrants.
> 8 November, 1pm: General entries

Cost is getting steeper, but I will enter.

I see they no longer give priority to the 10 or more club.

2 minutes ago, ouzo said:

Cost is getting steeper, but I will enter.

I see they no longer give priority to the 10 or more club.

Entries are also limited to 22,500, at least its an increase from this year, need some bunches to hide in next year