Cape Town Cycle Tour 2022

Pure Savage

11 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Interesting for me is that the Racing Vets (@) winning time was pretty much on par with the previous 2 events (which had perfect weather). But  & and especially 1A were much slower (1A by more than 15 minutes).

I suspect a lot of peeps who would usually ride in 1A were seeded in @ and $ so the upper alphabet soup groups were possibly depleted compared to previous years. 

It was noticeable in @ that people were more sensible and slower on the downhills, but I had to do PR's on every climb except Smits to keep up with the bunch so everything still evened out. Going up Smits slowly into a headwind was the only place I really noticed the weather is holding us back, so kudos to the guys up front who did the hard work to keep up the pace for the rest of the route.

Also well done to the winners of @ who did their breakaway on Chappies and rode almost 5 minutes into the chasing group in the last 20km, very impressive.

Yeah I was quite surprised by the few number of okes in & keen to get things going especially in the first 50kms. Twice I had rolled thru (not attacked) with 2nd or 3rd guy not holding wheel.

We also had a surprisingly tamed @Tiny Ksitting wheels 😲

Last year 1A was stacked with okes pumped on making it to finish line as fast as possible. I agree tho, most of them now rode $ , @ and a few in &.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, thisismyotherbike said:

Why all the punctures when it rains? Does the rain spill gunk into the road that would normally have been cleared by the traffic? Or do people hit more cracks/holes/cateyes because of the poor visibility?

I think the rain washes or brings to the surface broken glass and such. Did a social ride in PE in the rain. We turned back home before our intended turning point due to the amount of punctures we were getting.

Why all the punctures when it rains? Does the rain spill gunk into the road that would normally have been cleared by the traffic? Or do people hit more cracks/holes/cateyes because of the poor visibility?

Back in the day YellowSaddle did posit that it was because wet rubber 'cuts' easier ...

Edited by NotSoBigBen
Cause my English writing is crap

52 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

Funriders weren't having fun.
Racers raced.

🤷‍♂️

At the back there was a LEKKA vibe :clap:

Strangers striking up a conservation.

The fun-riders at the back certainly had fun ... after M3 ....

Water lubricates the cutting object (ie glass) reducing the friction to cut the tyre. Simple test, try shaving dry....

2 minutes ago, TIB said:

Water lubricates the cutting object (ie glass) reducing the friction to cut the tyre. Simple test, try shaving dry....

spot on

riders also can't see the glass or other in the road as easily to avoid so more likelihood of riding through the detritus

Edited by DieselnDust

1 hour ago, Skubarra said:

Interesting for me is that the Racing Vets (@) winning time was pretty much on par with the previous 2 events (which had perfect weather). But  & and especially 1A were much slower (1A by more than 15 minutes).

I suspect a lot of peeps who would usually ride in 1A were seeded in @ and $ so the upper alphabet soup groups were possibly depleted compared to previous years. 

It was noticeable in @ that people were more sensible and slower on the downhills, but I had to do PR's on every climb except Smits to keep up with the bunch so everything still evened out. Going up Smits slowly into a headwind was the only place I really noticed the weather is holding us back, so kudos to the guys up front who did the hard work to keep up the pace for the rest of the route.

Also well done to the winners of @ who did their breakaway on Chappies and rode almost 5 minutes into the chasing group in the last 20km, very impressive.

Bleak I missed the @ start... was looking forward to race but cut my tire on the way in and was stranded. Instead found myself starting in the very last start group of the day and finished my lap at least as a fun rider.

Things I noticed:

1. We take basic bike handling for granted.
  2. Keep left pass right only seems to apply in a car and not on a bicycle.
  3. Ebikes are leka to sit behind on climbs.
  4. Some cyclists and spectators are mean to Ebikes.
  5. Some people thought I was on a Ebike...
  6. I questioned some of the bikes road worthiness as I sat behind them on downhills.
  7. Saw loads of punctures.
  8. Saw bunch crashes with there only 2 in a bunch.
  9. Charity groups seemed to have the most fun and gees!
  10. "Hold your line" on a fast downhill just scare people and when they look back at who is shouting it they don't hold their line.
  11. Ditto for passing on your right.
  12. There is actually quite a vibe at some of the waterpoints despite the weather!
  13. Going down Chappies with road closures are awesome, especially with everyone keeping left there for some reason :)
  14. Argus is what you make of it and your attitude towards it, if you racing... race hard... if you fun ridding... fun ride harder!

24 minutes ago, TIB said:

What an example😂😂

25 minutes ago, TIB said:

Wow, learn something new on here every day!

15 minutes ago, WaldoZ said:

Bleak I missed the @ start... was looking forward to race but cut my tire on the way in and was stranded. Instead found myself starting in the very last start group of the day and finished my lap at least as a fun rider.

Things I noticed:

3. Ebikes are leka to sit behind on climbs.
  4. Some cyclists and spectators are mean to Ebikes.
  5. Some people thought I was on a Ebike...
  6. I questioned some of the bikes road worthiness as I sat behind them on downhills.
  7. Saw loads of punctures.
  8. Saw bunch crashes with there only 2 in a bunch.
  9. Charity groups seemed to have the most fun and gees!
  10. "Hold your line" on a fast downhill just scare people and when they look back at who is shouting it they don't hold their line.
  11. Ditto for passing on your right.
  12. There is actually quite a vibe at some of the waterpoints despite the weather!
  13. Going down Chappies with road closures are awesome, especially with everyone keeping left there for some reason :)
  14. Argus is what you make of it and your attitude towards it, if you racing... race hard... if you fun ridding... fun ride harder!

2. Where do you drive? The UK?

3 hours ago, Pure Savage said:

You did not even wave back in the start chute.

Sorry, didn't see you wave. I saw you arrive and fist bump all your team mates but at that stage we were in like a temporary area because some of the tandems like myself got sent the wrong way and we had to enter from the front. Then as I was going to go chat they moved us to our pen with the rest of the tandems. When did you wave? 

1 hour ago, Jbr said:

Most of what I said was "********f**k" every time we were going more than 40kph and I was hearing 15 disc brakes go SQUEEEEAAAAAAAK

Sounded like was riding along with a metro rail train all day...

1 hour ago, WaldoZ said:
  3. Bike's road worthiness as I sat behind them on downhills.
  4. Loads of punctures.
  5. "Hold your line" on a fast downhill just scares people, and when they look back at who is shouting, they don't hold their line.
  6. Ditto for passing on your right.

Not your original numbering, after I removed the irrelevant lines.
This is common on group rides and many races.