Zoo Lake to Vaal Dam

worriesnot

We're off to the Vaal Dam for a family weekend in a few weeks time and I thought of riding from home to the Vaal. Dam, that is.

Checking on Google Maps, it's a 130km ride when selecting the "walk/hike" option. Getting out of Jhb will be busy as it starts off on Jan Smuts, but I think it will get better (less busy) when I get to Kliprivier in the souf... Will be doing this on a gravel bike so hoping there are some dirt roads along the way (?)

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Zoo+Lake,+Parkview,+Randburg/-26.9088938,28.1919975/@-26.7975517,28.0961732,63858m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m9!4m8!1m5!1m1!1s0x1e950c878c1ac687:0xe69330146226fd9d!2m2!1d28.0284892!2d-26.1581653!1m0!3e2

Anyone have some routes to share/suggestions? Appreciate any feedback and tips!

Getting around the CBD is probably best through Fordsburg (Milpark hospital-Atlas bakery-gas works-fordsburg). Follow the route above to the circus cafe at around 50km, after that there are more gravel options - depends on your final destination

Cut down to Rietvlei zoo, jump the road onto the dirt opposite the entrance and head over to the circus via the top of the breweries. From Circus, go via the back of Suikerbos reserve on the tar for a bit then hit the district dirt to the vaal dam. 

The DOC group does a ride from the rand waterworks to the pond (about 90km odd) and around 70km of it is on the dirt. 

I'll have to figure out how to share a trace with you - if I do I'll dm it to you

Edited by 117
speeeling