Wearable: Garmin or ... ?

Fisan

Wanting to replace my Fenix3. Was super happy with the device, apart from the now broken GPS unit.

Looking at all of the options in the market - are there any real alternatives to Garmin? The iconnect store is super useful. Topo maps (limited devices for sure). Garmin pay. These are all nice-to-haves, but the nice to haves are what distinguishes one brand from another? My only gripe is that they have too many devices - makes it difficult to decide on a specific model (unless you have enough $$$ for any model).

Suunto - really solid devices but always behind in terms of tech and features (only released wireless updates in 2021!).

Polar is somebody that I used to know.

Coros who?

Not bothering with fitness/smart watches (i.e. Apple, Fitbit, Huawei, etc.)

Keep an eye on the usual suspects - Takealot, OneDayOnly etc when the move old stock at discounts. know your prices and be ready when the deal comes up, because it will. Black Friday's on the way, so perhaps there's something for you.

Agree - Garmin is the best. You will get some great specials as the new Garmin range is rumoured to launch between now and possibly 2028 - NOBODY knows but plenty rumours that it might be soon. 

Just some comments -

Saphire glass not worth it - as per Interweb it seemingly darkens display (so they say) - I have normal glass and just purchased a glass screen protector (like cell phone). Fits perfectly - not visible at all (I have Fenix 6x Pro Solar). Still have the first one on and its been scratch free from about 1 year now.  

Solar Screen - ABSOLUTELY not worth it. Mine has it and if you have it in the sun daily for many hours it adds maybe if few hours to the battery. As per Garmin - it does NOT charge the battery at all - it just helps the battery to drain that little bit slower. 

Fisan another thought pattern is continuity of your exercise records.

Jumping between brands means you loose continuity in Garmin Connect, as an example.

For now Strava free version is okay for my "total records", but every so often another function dissapears ....  If I was to move away from Garmin now it would require some effort to keep all my records on a single portal.

YES, there are various options.  Certainly not the end of the world.  Just something to keep in the back of your mind.

Garmin seems to be the leader. I'd stay away from Polar. I have a V650 computer and its the most frustrating thing to sync - in fact it doesn't anymore. I'd love a Fenix.

Just purchased the Garmin Instinct Solar, and am extremely happy with it. I'm not so sure the solar charging is a gimmick on the solar, as the power glass covers a bigger area than the Fenix range, so will probably be more efficient in that regard. The Fenix range just didn't appeal to me for the price. Too many functions I will never use.

1 hour ago, Headshot said:

Garmin seems to be the leader. I'd stay away from Polar. I have a V650 computer and its the most frustrating thing to sync - in fact it doesn't anymore. I'd love a Fenix.

Also had some issues with Syncing on my V650 but that is sorted for a long time now, for me its a pleasure to use.

As far as the Polar watches is concerned, you cant compare it to a V650 (Its much older), syncing to your phone or PC is a breeze, zero issues.

Yeah looks like Garmin is still the way to go. They just have too many options. I'd be happy with the F55. But then, you want a few more data fields, may running dynamics, so you start looking at the 245. Add Garmin pay, running power and baro to the list and you'll start looking at the 645. But for proper triathlon you have to start with the 745. But it doesn't have the nice mapping features like the 945. And while you're spending $$$ you might as well go for the Fenix 6.... and nevermind the asynchronicity of updates and feature releases between the devices.

Perhaps best to set a budget, then look at the options.

...but if a pay just a little more....

2 hours ago, TheoG said:

Always was a Polar fan.  You cant go wrong with a Vantage V2.

Can't go wrong, but why Polar and e.g. Garmin? Or Suunto?

2 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Fisan another thought pattern is continuity of your exercise records.

Jumping between brands means you loose continuity in Garmin Connect, as an example.

For now Strava free version is okay for my "total records", but every so often another function dissapears ....  If I was to move away from Garmin now it would require some effort to keep all my records on a single portal.

YES, there are various options.  Certainly not the end of the world.  Just something to keep in the back of your mind.

I actually started using an old Ambit after my F3 broke down. Luckily everything syncs to Strava. It's where a track my km's on gear, fitness increase/decrease etc.

4 minutes ago, Fisan said:

Yeah looks like Garmin is still the way to go. They just have too many options. I'd be happy with the F55. But then, you want a few more data fields, may running dynamics, so you start looking at the 245. Add Garmin pay, running power and baro to the list and you'll start looking at the 645. But for proper triathlon you have to start with the 745. But it doesn't have the nice mapping features like the 945. And while you're spending $$$ you might as well go for the Fenix 6.... and nevermind the asynchronicity of updates and feature releases between the devices.

Perhaps best to set a budget, then look at the options.

...but if a pay just a little more....

Can't go wrong, but why Polar and e.g. Garmin? Or Suunto?

I actually started using an old Ambit after my F3 broke down. Luckily everything syncs to Strava. It's where a track my km's on gear, fitness increase/decrease etc.

Its a personal preference thing.  Go have a look at them all and check some video reviews online, the rest is up to you and your personal choice.

All I can say Polar work for me.

Thankfully my budget stopped as the VivoActive4.

Damn nice watch, and frankly does more than I need..... though the functions on some other models were tempting .... :whistling:

Don’t know what your budget is like, but Polar have just launched the Grit X Pro and reviews so far are very good. I’m on a Suunto Spartan going on 5 years and very happy with it, but it is becoming a bit out dated. I’m seriously considering the Polar.

3 hours ago, pedal menace said:

Agree - Garmin is the best. You will get some great specials as the new Garmin range is rumoured to launch between now and possibly 2028 - NOBODY knows but plenty rumours that it might be soon. 

Just some comments -

Saphire glass not worth it - as per Interweb it seemingly darkens display (so they say) - I have normal glass and just purchased a glass screen protector (like cell phone). Fits perfectly - not visible at all (I have Fenix 6x Pro Solar). Still have the first one on and its been scratch free from about 1 year now.  

Solar Screen - ABSOLUTELY not worth it. Mine has it and if you have it in the sun daily for many hours it adds maybe if few hours to the battery. As per Garmin - it does NOT charge the battery at all - it just helps the battery to drain that little bit slower. 

I disagree with your Sapphire comment, definitely worth it. Not a single scratch on my Fenix 3 display after years of daily use

28 minutes ago, etienne_jordaan said:

Don’t know what your budget is like, but Polar have just launched the Grit X Pro and reviews so far are very good. I’m on a Suunto Spartan going on 5 years and very happy with it, but it is becoming a bit out dated. I’m seriously considering the Polar.

Grid X Pro does look very nice indeed, got all the Vantage V2 features with a sapphire glass face extra.

https://www.polar.com/za/products/compare?product1=99768&product2=101715

Edited by TheoG