Wearable: Garmin or ... ?

Fisan

33 minutes ago, ACE Cycles said:

I disagree with your Sapphire comment, definitely worth it. Not a single scratch on my Fenix 3 display after years of daily use

I do not deny the strength and protection that Sapphire offers. It has its benefits. Based on research I did some opinions tabled was that Sapphire screens affects screen brightness as a trade off with the strength it offers. I decided against it, saved money and just purchased a screen protector. It has been scratch free for a year and if it scratches, just peel off and add a new one. But it is a personal choice and the end of the day. 

1 minute ago, pedal menace said:

I do not deny the strength and protection that Sapphire offers. It has its benefits. Based on research I did some opinions tabled was that Sapphire screens affects screen brightness as a trade off with the strength it offers. I decided against it, saved money and just purchased a screen protector. It has been scratch free for a year and if it scratches, just peel off and add a new one. But it is a personal choice and the end of the day. 

I see, I wasn't aware that it effects screen brightness, can't say that I've ever thought that my display wasnt bright enough though

27 minutes ago, pedal menace said:

but how much does the screen protector affect the brightness ? Because they certainly do on smartphones and tablets

1 hour ago, TheoG said:

Its a personal preference thing.  Go have a look at them all and check some video reviews online, the rest is up to you and your personal choice.

All I can say Polar work for me.

I started with polar watches before garmin watches came on the market, all my training history is recorded in polar software and i don't plan to change to a different software at this stage. Currently use a polar vantage V for non cycling sports and M460 for cycling. Very happy with them in general.

Will upgrade to Vantage V2 one of these days, Xmas.....

I have a garmin golf watch and once a edge cycling computer, still prefer my polar

18 minutes ago, SwissVan said:

I started with polar watches before garmin watches came on the market, all my training history is recorded in polar software and i don't plan to change to a different software at this stage. Currently use a polar vantage V for non cycling sports and M460 for cycling. Very happy with them in general.

Will upgrade to Vantage V2 one of these days, Xmas.....

I have a garmin golf watch and once a edge cycling computer, still prefer my polar

I never thought I would see the day that I agree with you 100% ....  :)

I got a Vantage V Titan and V650 and same here, got years of exercise data saved in Polar Flow, so not changing sommer easy.

I saw the Grit X Pro for the first time today, it got all the Vantage V2 features, I'm very tempted ...

Edited by TheoG

1 hour ago, TheoG said:

I never thought I would see the day that I agree with you 100% ....  :)

I got a Vantage V Titan and V650 and same here, got years of exercise data saved in Polar Flow, so not changing sommer easy.

I saw the Grit X Pro for the first time today, it got all the Vantage V2 features, I'm very tempted ...

Grit looks really nice. Does my head in that its 2021 and these digital fitness watches still have huge black rings between the dial and bezel though. That goes for Garmin too...

46 minutes ago, NeverNotRolling said:

Grit looks really nice. Does my head in that its 2021 and these digital fitness watches still have huge black rings between the dial and bezel though. That goes for Garmin too...

Yea, that also irritated me when I got my Vantage V.  So much scope there to have the display much bigger.

One thing that I wonder about with my polar, my wife has a polar vantage M and if we run together ( start and stop at the excact same time and route) my vantage V always measures the distance further than her M. Granted the M is the budget version of the V and I think uses a different gps satellite net.... but still I’m tired of hearing her complain about it.. ???? so I will probably end up buying 2 V2’s for Xmas 

Edited by SwissVan

On 10/15/2021 at 11:07 AM, pedal menace said:

Agree - Garmin is the best. You will get some great specials as the new Garmin range is rumoured to launch between now and possibly 2028 - NOBODY knows but plenty rumours that it might be soon. 

Just some comments -

Saphire glass not worth it - as per Interweb it seemingly darkens display (so they say) - I have normal glass and just purchased a glass screen protector (like cell phone). Fits perfectly - not visible at all (I have Fenix 6x Pro Solar). Still have the first one on and its been scratch free from about 1 year now.  

Solar Screen - ABSOLUTELY not worth it. Mine has it and if you have it in the sun daily for many hours it adds maybe if few hours to the battery. As per Garmin - it does NOT charge the battery at all - it just helps the battery to drain that little bit slower. 

I tried the Garmin Instinct Solar- just wanted to say that it does charge the battery on this model, it's like a functional battery solar gps G-shock watch.

16 hours ago, scubes said:

I tried the Garmin Instinct Solar- just wanted to say that it does charge the battery on this model, it's like a functional battery solar gps G-shock watch.

Bought a Solar for my son, and the solar charging works very well.  I think about 1-2% increase per hour in bright sunlight? He gets about 14 days between charges, but is doesn't use it that much for tracking. 

Still much better than my 735XT!!

Good bargains on Takealot... 

Edited by Underachiever

IMO, garmin has definetely made leaps in terms of wearables.... got a Tactix for myself years ago, its the perfect all rounder. Never had a single issue, charge can hold a week easy. Its the kinda device you can have 3 - 5 years from now and would still be as good as the latest wearables at that future period. GPS specific tracking shops usually have the best deals when new ranges are being released. ????

I started on TOMTOM wearables, they served a purpose and were great for the coin. At some point my lovely wife bought me a Garmin and been sold pretty much ever since. I like the functionality and the interface. 

To my mind they are best on market for what they are/price. Cant see myself ever buying another brand. 

So, that said, just go out and get a Garmin. Great functionality, they seem to last and battery life is great. 

And for peace of mind, buy saphire. It just works. 

On 10/15/2021 at 10:22 AM, Fisan said:

Wanting to replace my Fenix3. Was super happy with the device, apart from the now broken GPS unit.

I had the Fenix 3 for 5 years. Looking at my options I settled on a Forerunner645 Music on Facebook Marketplace.

I sold my old Fenix 3 for R1500 to some guy wanting something for his Motocross riding. Paid R4000 for the 645 Music. It was MINT, with the plastic protector still on the screen.

• Wrist HR
  • Garmin Pay
  • Music
  • Running Power App(Natively from the Connect Store)

Sure, battery Life isn't what the Fenix 3 was and you don't have Cycling Power. But I got a Edge 520 2nd hand to do all the bike stuff with and I'm happy with my transition.

All I could ever want in a watch(for now, until they invent the next metric to keep track of)

Edited by Vetplant
Wrong Edge model corrected