Carel Bezuidenhoud RIP

cadenceblur

23 hours ago, Danger Dassie said:

Thanks Danger. The full set of images is here http://dwaynesenior.com/albums/SA6xNb/a-lockdown-story

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Never met Raasbekkie but I was fortunate enough to hear him say #lekkerlekkerlekker at one of the races I did. 

RIP Carel, you left many people with happy memories!

I had the pleasure of him commentating at a few of the events i participated in. He was absolutely amazing and kept the athletes and supporters entertained from start to finish. LEKKER, LEKKER, LEKKER. Jou lekker ding. 

1 hour ago, Dadbod Racing said:

Never met Raasbekkie but I was fortunate enough to hear him say #lekkerlekkerlekker at one of the races I did. 

RIP Carel, you left many people with happy memories!

Been wondering if he was the MC at the Fine Breede, and various other events, we attended over the last 5 years.

Starting way way at the back of the groups I only hear the MC's, and have no idea if RaasBekkie was at these events.

Never knew him, but have very fond memories of the MC's at some of these events.  Somehow the MC at the Fine Breede was just extra special at his job.

R.I.P. and condolences to his family.

He commentated at a number of events I entered, but the Versus Socks trail run at Mont Marie in stellenbosch will always stand out. The race ended with a pontoon bridge over a pond. As the event wore on and all the racing snakes had finished a number of things started to happen:

1. The crowd of finishers (who became spectators) started to grow
  2. The runners generally got heavier and slower
  3. The bridge got worse...

It was a situation tailor-made for "Raasbekkie"... Runners would emerge from the woods to be faced with a growing crowd of onlookers and an increasingly dodgy pontoon that they had to cross, while a man born to entertain narrated the whole thing over a PA. It was absolutely hilarious. A lot of runners got wet that day. I sat on the bank for ages watching people come in and listening to some of the best banter ever.

1 hour ago, DIPSLICK said:

that is my idea of a GOOD quality life, I would give up chasing my tail in a heart beat to live like that if my wife would agree, looking at those pics I would sum the overall situation as content, sad 

Living the simple good life. The story was shot a year ago in the depths of COVID, no events where happening etc, so was never meant to be upbeat.

20 minutes ago, dseenya said:

Living the simple good life. The story was shot a year ago in the depths of COVID, no events where happening etc, so was never meant to be upbeat.

I understand it as such, my  point of view was that from the general rat race that is life,,,, and compare that to the videos we watched of the people in Italy/France in their little one bedroom apartments 

12 minutes ago, DIPSLICK said:

I understand it as such, my  point of view was that from the general rat race that is life,,,, and compare that to the videos we watched of the people in Italy/France in their little one bedroom apartments 

????  got it. 

He was still so full of gees at the Durbie dash on the 16th October. Anyone have any idea what happened? RIP Carel.

On 10/20/2021 at 9:14 AM, dseenya said:

Thanks Danger. The full set of images is here http://dwaynesenior.com/albums/SA6xNb/a-lockdown-story

This is incredible, thank you for sharing now.

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

What happened here? He was such an illuminating character. Was there foul play involved?

I was told he took his life that evening, looking for official confirmation now it doesn't seem to have been made public. I could be misinformed, but there were hints to this from some of the posts.

It would be helpful if those close to him* could release some information, particularly if it was a suicide case. Speculation on this is not really helpful, and the issues that brought it on are becoming a lot more publicly acceptable to discuss and disclose. The "sad clown paradox" is a contributor to why we see such rich and colourful characters like Heath Ledger, Robin Williams et al not able to actually handle things behind the scenes. I'm speculating on all of this of course, but even if it is not the case it is good for people to know :"it's ok not to be ok".

*I do respect the wishes of his family to remain private about this, it's understandably a very tough time for them and I can't begin to imagine what decisions I would be taking.

I was fortunate enough to meet and work with Carel at Knysna Bull a couple of years ago. An amazing human being and just plain down to earth. Shocked to here the sad news. All the best for his family during this difficult time. The eventing industry has lost a legend.

1 hour ago, Shebeen said:

This is incredible, thank you for sharing now.

I was told he took his life that evening, looking for official confirmation now it doesn't seem to have been made public. I could be misinformed, but there were hints to this from some of the posts.

It would be helpful if those close to him* could release some information, particularly if it was a suicide case. Speculation on this is not really helpful, and the issues that brought it on are becoming a lot more publicly acceptable to discuss and disclose. The "sad clown paradox" is a contributor to why we see such rich and colourful characters like Heath Ledger, Robin Williams et al not able to actually handle things behind the scenes. I'm speculating on all of this of course, but even if it is not the case it is good for people to know :"it's ok not to be ok".

*I do respect the wishes of his family to remain private about this, it's understandably a very tough time for them and I can't begin to imagine what decisions I would be taking.

Could not have put it better. 

Check on your friends and talk.

We have lost a absolute legend.Yes he did unfortunately take his own life but please let’s respect the family and close friends and not go any father but rather just give as much love and support as we can.Everyone has their own inner demons they dealing with and the times we are living in make dealing with them even harder.One thing I have learnt is that social media is a ball of **** and often hides how people are really feeling.Often those that have all the happy posts with endless motivational quotes ( I see this a lot on youngsters social media pages)are the ones that are really dying inside.Let’s always just remember to “be kind”

SB