Keen to start MTB - which JHB shops can you recommend?

Jaz

My wife and I want to start MTBing. Nothing serious, just to get out of the house and get some exercise. We live next to the Modderfontein Reserve so that'll be our main riding spot. 

We want to visit a shop to look at bicycles, get advice etc. Which shops in JHB would you recommend?

Ridgeway cycling is in greenstone, great stock levels, workshop that is always prepared to help and know what they are doing 

sales you can speak to Rory, workshop Anton 011 524-0192

the more I deal with them the more it pays off. 

Jaz, you are spoiled for choice but recommendations would be the following. As we where in the same position as you 3 months ago, having returned to cycling after a 7 year absence

www.bicycleline.co.za - Great local bicycle shop in Benoni. Excellent service, Great range, Awesome advice, and they can pretty much source anything.

www.cyclelab.com - Closest shop is in Boksburg, They have the biggest range of bikes, kit, accessories

www.cajeescycles.com - Also in Boksburg, slightly smaller range but brilliant if you want to look, touch, feel  bikes and see what will work for you

Hope this helps

Edited by jokerman923@gmail.com

47 minutes ago, jokerman923@gmail.com said:

Jaz, you are spoiled for choice but recommendations would be the following. As we where in the same position as you 3 months ago, having returned to cycling after a 7 year absence

www.bicycleline.co.za - Great local bicycle shop in Benoni. Excellent service, Great range, Awesome advice, and they can pretty much source anything.

www.cyclelab.com - Closest shop is in Boksburg, They have the biggest range of bikes, kit, accessories

www.cajeescycles.com - Also in Boksburg, slightly smaller range but brilliant if you want to look, touch, feel  bikes and see what will work for you

Hope this helps

Another vote for Cajees ????

First decide what your budget is for 2 X MTB's

Then visit

Ridgeway

Cyclelab

Solomons

Cajees 

To get an idea what they can offer within your budget

Research what's on offer in the used market for your same budget - you will probably get a far better spec'd used bike than what a shop will offer new - some shops may even have used trade-ins they can offer you.

Anything you want to know - Ask here on BikeHub, there are 1000's of knowitalls like me who will be glad to give our 2cents for free.

Stay away from Makro / Game / Sportsmans bicycles 

good luck and welcome to the dark side

Thanks guys, you've been a great help! We still need to tweak the budget, I'll do that after seeing what's available!

20 minutes ago, Jaz said:

Thanks guys, you've been a great help! We still need to tweak the budget, I'll do that after seeing what's available!

madmarc is not wrong a decent second hand bike to start with,, nothing wrong if you dont enjoy it sell it, if you do enjoy upgrade win win 

Dont get hoodwinked at cajees. They're vultures to the new folks of the cycling world. You'll feel you got a good bargain and one day will report about it here, only to find you've been shafted. 

Some good advice above from other posters, just ignore the cajees bits

2 hours ago, 117 said:

Dont get hoodwinked at cajees. They're vultures to the new folks of the cycling world. You'll feel you got a good bargain and one day will report about it here, only to find you've been shafted. 

Some good advice above from other posters, just ignore the cajees bits

You can get good deals at Cajees if you know the prices and know how to haggle - they love a good haggle - But that's where it ends - Never ! I repeat never ! go back for them to service your bike.

3 hours ago, madmarc said:

You can get good deals at Cajees if you know the prices and know how to haggle - they love a good haggle - But that's where it ends - Never ! I repeat never ! go back for them to service your bike.

Hahahaa... Haggle. That infers that the buyer thinks he knows the price and the seller has total control, which means you still get shafted. They (shop owner) wouldn't do that if it wasn't a profitable means to business

8 hours ago, Boktiet82 said:

Mellow Velo cycles in Fourways, great service and advice. My one stop shop.

Always. 

9 hours ago, madmarc said:

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!