Shimano brake cable replacement

Grass Muncher

I need to replace my brake cable. 

I think you can re-use the olive and that pinn thingy that goes into the brake hose that attach to the brake lever. 

I also have to take the hose out of the caliper. 

I cant get the old hose out of the banjo. Should I rip it out with pliers? How will I get the new hose to stick in the banjo? What is keeping the cable and the banjo together? 

20211018_141428.jpg.974ba6bb51e95e51319eefdff903a2df.jpg

Why do you need to replace the hose? If you get the proper replacement hose it should come with the banjo already installed. You shouldn’t be taking that off and then trying to refit it. I think it’s crimped on and I very much doubt that you’d be able to get a secure fitting yourself with a reused banjo.

Shimano would tell you you should replace the olive and barb too. I have successfully reused olives in the past, but getting the barb out of the old hose undamaged can be a mission. And they’re super cheap anyway, so you might as well get a new one and do it properly. Just be sure you’re getting the right olive and barb set for your brake – Shimano has two variations.

If you go to si.shimano.com and search for your brake you should get all the part numbers and service instructions that you need.

The olive and barb is single use, you can buy those loose form any bike shop.

The banjo fitting is crimped onto the brake hose, you cant just rip it out and reuse it.

You can by the whole kit, with olive, barbs and hose with pre-crimped banjo.  You will also need a bleeding kit to bleed your brakes with MINERAL and not Dot fluid.

SM-BH90-SBM.jpg.c71776b00b5f9c97ccba841d35bd439c.jpg

(currently out of stock though) the kits come in 1700mm or 2000mm lengths. check which will work best for you.

https://evobikes.co.za/product/shimano-xtr-xt-slx-brake-hose-sm-bh90-sbm-2000mm/ 

Plenty videos on youtube for that can help with guidance.

If you don't not have the right tools (and skills/ knowledge) for the job, rather let your local bike shop do the replacement of the hose for you. Will be a lot cheaper than a hospital visit if your brakes fail.

Edited by CdT85

Why would my local bike shop sell me a brake cable without a banjo,olive and barb. They sell it for R50 a meter with no banjo attached. 

It looks to me that it cant be attached and that it has to be baught like that. 

Ill rather let them do it then.. I just dont want to pay near R500 to have it done. 

First things first...from the pic you have shared you do not have cable brakes but hydraulic brakes. You will not find a cable anywhere in that setup. So remove the word cable in your description. If your brakes was not up to scratch it could've been worn pads or air in the system. I would re-install the brake hose...look at the condition of the pads(if needed replace) and then top up with mineral oil...bleed the brakes and finally top up again with oil.

8 minutes ago, Grass Muncher said:

Why would my local bike shop sell me a brake cable without a banjo,olive and barb. They sell it for R50 a meter with no banjo attached. 

It looks to me that it cant be attached and that it has to be baught like that. 

Ill rather let them do it then.. I just dont want to pay near R500 to have it done. 

Sounds like you have been sold Cable Brake Housing 

Not a Hyraulic brake hose like you need. 

That would be why you got nothing but the housing itself.  

Some Shimano hydraulic brake systems use an olive/insert on both ends. It is possible to buy BH90 hose by the meter without a banjo end.

If your system uses the banjo then buy a hose with a banjo pre-fitted - or if the current one is long enough then chop a little off the end and fit a new olive&insert.

Be careful to add the tiny little o-rings back on each side of the banjo fitting!

• 1 year later...
On 10/18/2021 at 2:38 PM, CdT85 said:

The olive and barb is single use, you can buy those loose form any bike shop.

The banjo fitting is crimped onto the brake hose, you cant just rip it out and reuse it.

You can by the whole kit, with olive, barbs and hose with pre-crimped banjo.  You will also need a bleeding kit to bleed your brakes with MINERAL and not Dot fluid.

SM-BH90-SBM.jpg.c71776b00b5f9c97ccba841d35bd439c.jpg

(currently out of stock though) the kits come in 1700mm or 2000mm lengths. check which will work best for you.

https://evobikes.co.za/product/shimano-xtr-xt-slx-brake-hose-sm-bh90-sbm-2000mm/ 

Does anyone know who has these kits in stock ?

I was a bit slow and missed the one they had  @Evobikes

20 minutes ago, splat said:

Does anyone know who has these kits in stock ?

I was a bit slow and missed the one they had  @Evobikes

Plenty of stock here in Gauteng, I got 10 sets of olives and ferrals the other day and then I have re-usable banjos I use with hose that I cut to length. But I also have quite a few hose with banjos already fitted 

I have about 30 Banjo's for shimano brakes I got in a box of spares that cover all things hydraulic brakes.

Must I dig them out for you?

You can DEFINITELY buy shimano hydraulic hose by the meter. With no attachments.

I also have a few meters.

So, in closing, if you want a banjo fitting I have. Your LBS should have too. You definitely don't have to buy a pre made cable and banjo.