Meerendal trails almost unridable - no maintenance!!

openmind

19 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Did you pay the "day entry fee" ?  If so, please report it to Meerendal .... for what that is worth.

PLEASE also send an email to the Tygerberg MTB club - info@tygerbergmtb.co.za

They NEED these issues in writing to follow up on this matter.

Meerendal insists on doing their own maintenance.  BUT, they also insist the Club pay over the maintenance money .....  In terms of maintenance, I have posted here about the lack of maintenance even before lock down.  Since then I have tried the Meerendal trails twice.

THIS is what I saw on my last visit (yes, I did speak to the Tygerberg committee about this).  This photo was taken on 13 December 2020, well into summer, and yet NO repairs to the winter damage of the trails -

PC-111.jpg.afe922e6ea3912db12392c0b4284eb23.jpg

Those of us that have 5+ years experience with Meerendal have seen the slow and steady decline of cycling at the fantastic venue.  They clearly have moved their market from cycling to the trail runners.  And yes, it is their right to do so ... but dont charge premium rates if you dont intend to keep your trails in order.

Come now guys, that is perfectly rideable - Rail the berm and slot nicely through numerous rut lines to choose from 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

43 minutes ago, Chadvdw67 said:

Excuses excuses ????

Haha hers, not mine. I've given up on trying to convince her cycling is fun. 

1 hour ago, madmarc said:

Come now guys, that is perfectly rideable - Rail the berm and slot nicely through numerous rut lines to choose from 

Lol...
Just watch out for ticks ambushing you....????

Edited by Mojoman

I went there last weekend with my wife (she's new to MTB and I thought it would be a nice place for her to learn some skills) and I haven't ridden there in about five years.  The trails were very over grown but I just put that down to the time of year with the crops.  We weren't able to go as fast but that's hardly the end of the world when learning the ropes.  I didn't feel like the actual trails themselves were in too much of a bad state of repair, but then I do like a rough trail so maybe I'm not the best judge.  

My biggest criticism though (and its the same as it was five years ago) is that it's just boring.  Even the 'advanced trail' from the top is dull.  Even my wife was able to ride all of it and her skill level and confidence are low.  Hoogies and Contermans are a lot more fun, especially Hoogies with the skills park.  Wish I had gone there instead.  

Plus I got a tick on me :ph34r: 

On the plus side, we went to the Dairy Shed at Contermanskloof afterwards and that was fantastic!  I'd highly recommend going there.

Edited by dirtypot
butter fingers

Well, come on.... It is Mountain Biking after all. Can't expect to ride perfect surfaces. I actually don't mind a few ruts etc. However, the amount of wet cow $h!t on the D'Aria corridor is making me rethink my route. Yes it is a working farm so I accept it, but not nice to have cow mud get flung all over your water bottle, face, etc.????

9 minutes ago, Puncture Kid said:

Well, come on.... It is Mountain Biking after all. Can't expect to ride perfect surfaces. I actually don't mind a few ruts etc. However, the amount of wet cow $h!t on the D'Aria corridor is making me rethink my route. Yes it is a working farm so I accept it, but not nice to have cow mud get flung all over your water bottle, face, etc.????

I've started going up the path towards Majik forrest and then to Bloemendal and the same way back. It's actually more enjoyable than the cow poo and having to do the D'Aria loop/sewerage plant. I do miss the Altydgedacht parts though.

18 minutes ago, Newbie321 said:

I've started going up the path towards Majik forrest and then to Bloemendal and the same way back. It's actually more enjoyable than the cow poo and having to do the D'Aria loop/sewerage plant. I do miss the Altydgedacht parts though.

Yes agreed that is a good route, Just a hectic climb past hotel if you are not warmed up. I normally go traverse way but only if I can make the cutoff time

Afternoon hubbers, club members and non-members

Please see our post on the matter in our social pages - this has been coming on for a long time and discussions herein with the landowner has been ongoing. Happy with the final outcome achieved this week.

Kindest regards

https://www.facebook.com/tygerbergmtb/photos/a.184604509622210/593179788764678/

130347-Meerendal-11330-Pano.jpg

Just now, The Captain said:

Please see our post on the matter in our social pages - this has been coming on for a long time and discussions herein with the landowner has been ongoing. Happy with the final outcome achieved this week.

Kindest regards

Great news! I was wondering what was brewing in the background, glad it was something positive!

Fantastic news. I rode there yesterday myself and wondered when something was going to be done about it.

6 minutes ago, The Captain said:

Kindest regards

Excellent news ????