Meerendal trails almost unridable - no maintenance!!

openmind

I have a strong suspicion that this thread had a role to play in changing minds of certain stakeholders.

I'm excited to see the trajectory Meerendal is going to take now that Patrick has a fresh canvas to go ply his trade on judging by all the excitement he had recently been unleashing on the rest of the network of trails.

Well done Tygerberg MTB club for stepping up to the plate when it mattered. This is why the club is such a roaring success.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good news indeed, a lot of work ahead for Patrick and the gnomes to get that trail up to TMBC standard again. But as we've seen in the past there's no challenge to big for this dedicated team of trail builders.

On 10/19/2021 at 2:04 PM, Mojoman said:

Lol...
Just watch out for ticks ambushing you....????

Brought back two ticks from the trails today (not Meerendal).....

That time of the year ....

I got my first bike about 2 months ago and have only been riding at Meerendal. I have been thinking wow this is amazing surely trails don't get much better than this! ???? But after reading this thread I am quite excited to try out some of the other ones in the area if they are even better.

22 minutes ago, challengers said:

I got my first bike about 2 months ago and have only been riding at Meerendal. I have been thinking wow this is amazing surely trails don't get much better than this! ???? But after reading this thread I am quite excited to try out some of the other ones in the area if they are even better.

No ifs ands or buts ....

Right now all the other trails are much better.

Once Patrick is done you wont recognice Meerendal

7 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

No ifs ands or buts ....

Right now all the other trails are much better.

Once Patrick is done you wont recognice Meerendal

It's probably going to take a while. They only have access to work on the trails there one day a week.

51 minutes ago, HenryS said:

It's probably going to take a while. They only have access to work on the trails there one day a week.

One day a week ..... and they expect the team to make a difference. It is almost as if Meerendal are setting them up for failure!

• 1 month later...

Rode there yesterday with my wife and kid on the feva. Not sure what has been done, trails still look like they haven't seen a shovel in a year. it's ok if you ride alone but with a 2yo on bicycle it's a bit dodge

Thats sad .....

As noted a few posts back, Patrick was only given access 1 day per week .... will take forever to get it sorted at that rate.

I will certainly ride it in the next week or two ... then give a 12 month comparison .....

Edited by ChrisF

Yeah, I know how good and how hard working Patrick and his team are so really not moaning about their work, but honestly at this point I'm curious to know where he has been allowed to work at all, because nothing looks new there. Maybe the upper mineshaft that I was a bit nervous about with the kid on the bike, last time I think there was massive water damage. Didn't risk doing the lower mineshaft. Then the longer route that ends on the little flow trail, at some point there's a split before a little bridge, the shorter line was destroyed with water damage, bit dangerous I had to walk it. This to me is the main concern, downhill sharp corners should be fixed first, then the rest isn't all that important.

But honestly authorizing Patrick to work only 1 day a week is a joke and I'm having a hard time believing he was allowed to work there 5 days since this was decided, or if they did, they must have been mostly working on triming the vegetation.

Seeing how empty the parking was on a public holiday was a little bit sad though, last time I came the trails were already quite bad but people were still coming.

Edited by Jbr

I did cover a lot of the trails on the public holiday .... I was very surprized at how empty the trails were.

Screenshot_20211216-113747_Connect.jpg.fca55c3eca1d62bc72e855f6e928d3e9.jpg

I did Bloemendal and Traverse this morning ... also very few people on the trails.

• 1 month later...

December 2020 I did a small section of Meerendal, and added my voice due to the lack of maintenance.

Since then this topic have seen various updates, most importantly confirming that Patrick and his team will start doing maintenance of the Meerendal trails.  Later it was noted that he has limited access.

Today I popped in to see how much Patrick got done with "limited access" ....

The initial climbs certainly are better, though showing some wear.  It is perfectly rideable :thumbup:

M-11.jpg.bac922a601b87bf075f93f55dc5f6f3d.jpg

Even Mineshaft is in good nick.

M-14.jpg.c6a6a9da6af1498cbcd7c13b95371be1.jpg

Dorstberg has a reputation to uphold .... even parts of this climb is smoothed out, though the long climb along the fence lives up to its reputation, as it should ...

M-20.jpg.e26f3cc73a70547650986a0c99813ea7.jpg

M-22.jpg.6dad7c4cfe058d0326efdd6b21f0efbb.jpg

I have never been a fan of the single track from Dorstberg .... it has always been hard on my wrists, and still is ..... then again, after my last rides at Fine Breede and Eselfontein I am beginning to realise that a few of these sections are needed for those riders that want to prepare themselves for hard rides ....

M-28.jpg.7c99db9be48fb642c8914f940c7da013.jpg

The fallen signs are a stark reminder of why Patrick is needed to get Meerendal sorted .... This fallen sign is the only warning of a proper drop for those that dont know this section ...

M-29.jpg.c3505cc5b17a6d74c01c0ac25035070b.jpg

Even the Burry loop is in pretty decent nick .... with a couple of the turns needing TLC ...

The Meerendal trails are certainly in much better shape :clap: :thumbup:

Cant wait for Patrick to sort out the last few bits.  Looking forward to taking Maritz back to where he cut his teeth ...

• 2 months later...

What is happening at Meerendal today ?

By 10.30 the line of cars were backed up all the way back past the D'Urbanville circle !!

6 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

What is happening at Meerendal today ?

By 10.30 the line of cars were backed up all the way back past the D'Urbanville circle !!

Liefde by die dam...

Patrick is steadily making progress 👍

Will take Maritz there for a ride shortly.