Boland 100 Miler

bleedToWin

Riding my first one on sunday. 160km goes well past my 2-bottle limit, so.... In a mid-level group (lets say average speed of 30kph to give an indication of "seriousness") what do people generally do for water? Do people try to take enough to not stop ever, or do you stop on your own and then try to catch the bunch again, or (seems unlikely but..) does the whole group stop?

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, NickGM said:

Riding my first one on sunday. 160km goes well past my 2-bottle limit, so.... In a mid-level group (lets say average speed of 30kph to give an indication of "seriousness") what do people generally do for water? Do people try to take enough to not stop ever, or do you stop on your own and then try to catch the bunch again, or (seems unlikely but..) does the whole group stop?

The whole group definitely won't stop ;) if you feel you're going to run out, just spot at each stops how many guys stop and how fit they look to try and stop with guys that can help you for the rest of the ride you don't want to finish alone.

I have a 1l bottle + a 750ml, both with electrolites, should do the job

50 minutes ago, NickGM said:

I'll be fitting an extra bottle cage to my seat post

27 minutes ago, Pure Savage said:

I have warngled an entry!

Any idea where the waterpoints will be on Sunday?

1. Waterpoints

There are 6 waterpoints on the 100 Miler route and 4 on the 60 Miler route. Waterpoints are stocked with NamedSport Hydrafit energy drink, Coke, PowerAde and water. In addition, selected waterpoints will have banana bread, jelly babies, NamedSport gels and bananas. A big thanks to Penbev, NamedSport and Food Lover’s Market for our waterpoint stock!

The 100 Miler waterpoints are at the following kilometre markers:

27km

54km

79km

98km

109km

143km

The 60 Miler waterpoints are at the following kilometre markers:

27km

54km

73km

80km

1 hour ago, NickGM said:

Reality is if you stop for water you will lose the group. In the long run you either need to adapt to cycling 160km on whatever you can take with you or have a bunch of friends/DC teammates on a training ride that will stick together.

32 minutes ago, Cabous9 said:
  1. Waterpoints

There are 6 waterpoints on the 100 Miler route and 4 on the 60 Miler route. Waterpoints are stocked with NamedSport Hydrafit energy drink, Coke, PowerAde and water. In addition, selected waterpoints will have banana bread, jelly babies, NamedSport gels and bananas. A big thanks to Penbev, NamedSport and Food Lover’s Market for our waterpoint stock!

The 100 Miler waterpoints are at the following kilometre markers:

27km

54km

79km

98km

109km

143km

The 60 Miler waterpoints are at the following kilometre markers:

27km

54km

73km

80km

Looks like top of Hells then.

I'm stopping for water. Anyone who wants to join me is welcome to take turns into the wind after we've filled up. I'm too old to add kidney failure to my gammy piriformis and my mamil aged spread. Hell I might even stop to take a photo halfway up the pass. Peleton schmeleton. 

6 hours ago, NickGM said:

@NickGM 

Consider the 3-4 bottle strategy (1 in jersey pocket, one  between parking car and disposable in chute)

Or, when in need of stopping, it’s worth the while to ask those immediately around the bunch “who wants to pitstop with me… we can work together…”. You won’t be the only one needing to rehydrate.

7 hours ago, NickGM said:

Don't worry it's the first addition of this event for everyone. But most have done the PPA 1 Tonner over the years, the 2018 event it got so hot with about 10kms to the finish we were a small bunch gunning for top 10 spots. We past a water point but nobody dared to stop but every one was dry, to my luck I past a friend as he just topped up 2 water bottles of which he gave one to me. Everyone was begging for a sip, we passed that bottle around the peloton for everyone to take a swig....ah the days before COVID-19. But as everyone suggested 2x750ml bottles should do the trick and f you are not racing it then just stop at the water points and fill up as needed.

11 hours ago, 'Dale said:

@NickGM 

Consider the 3-4 bottle strategy (1 in jersey pocket, one  between parking car and disposable in chute)

Or, when in need of stopping, it’s worth the while to ask those immediately around the bunch “who wants to pitstop with me… we can work together…”. You won’t be the only one needing to rehydrate.

Yeah I think I may go with 2 x 750ml bottles and then I've got a couple of these silicone type running bottles (300ml) that are supposed to go in hydration vests and I'll just stuff that in my pockets. Not that keen on stopping simply because just about the only thing I do well on a bike is climb (and I'm also a competitive SOB) so if I'm still with my group at the beginning of the last climb then I have a chance of doing well within my group.

Thing is - at 30kmph that's 5 and a little hours - it's a long time to be thirsty. Even if I 4 bottles to make it 3.6 liters, I'd still be a liter short.

Of course one could carry a camelbak and be one of the cool kids but I don't have the street cred to get away with that.

And all of this on the off chance that after hels I'm not looking around for other stragglers who are just as likely to stop .... 

But if one of you lot cruises past me with his camelbak pipe dangling from lips as moist as the chick in some dated liquifruit ad, I'm going to be miffed.