Boland 100 Miler

bleedToWin

33 minutes ago, ChunkyMonkey said:

The wind was totally rideable, just an additional challenge…

Probably, but I remember on Tour du Cap stage 1 how the valley near Tulbagh and the approach to Bain's really accelerated the wind into crazy cross wind levels. Near Hermon and on the top of Bain's it was chilled that day. Given how it was pumping on Bain's and in Hermon yesterday I don't know how bad that 45km stretch would have been...

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

I think you guys missed out on what turned out to be a really fun race.

We were there for a DC Team ride, not to race in echelons in the crosswinds.
Our final mileage was 120km, so not as good as the original 150km, but better than the end result of less than 100km.

42 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

I think you guys missed out on what turned out to be a really fun race.

Agreed! Exceptionally fun and tough race. Big ups to the organisers for not going the easy route and just cancelling the event. 

1 hour ago, splat said:

We were there for a DC Team ride, not to race in echelons in the crosswinds.
Our final mileage was 120km, so not as good as the original 150km, but better than the end result of less than 100km.

Okay, you then missed out on an opportunity to practice team riding in the wind on partially protected roads. DC always ends in the wind! 😉

No one says you have to get off your bike after an event finishes either?

Edited by bleedToWin

Kudos for those making the call to go home. They did announce that if you feel unsafe and you can't see yourself handling a bike in that wind you shouldn't ride. 🤪🤪 

Us other mal, adrenalin okes had a jol. Disappointed the wind didn't live up to the hype in the end but hey... was some hard racing and a good day out.

2 hours ago, bleedToWin said:

Probably, but I remember on Tour du Cap stage 1 how the valley near Tulbagh and the approach to Bain's really accelerated the wind into crazy cross wind levels. Near Hermon and on the top of Bain's it was chilled that day. Given how it was pumping on Bain's and in Hermon yesterday I don't know how bad that 45km stretch would have been...

I’ve ridden Bains when the wind has been pumping like crazy and yeah it’s not fun. The claim itself is okay as I think the mountains protect it but the lead into the climb on the Bains road is the issue. It’s basically a funnel for the wind. 

That being said I went up Franschhoek pass yesterday it was seriously windy there as well. Climb was still manageable though so I’m not sure how they determine what is too windy. 

I remember that stretch . No room to make an echelon cos of cars and coordinating such a thing in c batch is like herding cats most of the time.

Yesterday, reasoning that there wasn't such a thing as a wrong decision, I opted to go home and ride the peninsula with a coffee stop or 2 and had fun.

Next up the one tonner

1 hour ago, bleedToWin said:

Okay, you then missed out on an opportunity to practice team riding in the wind on partially protected roads. DC always ends in the wind! 😉

Totally agree with you, guys that left definitely missed out. Opted to start in Group 3 after seeing some Elites on the start of Group 2, new I would be bonking shortly after the start. Group 3 rode well and taking turns apart from a few, but definitely some hard pedaling involved. 

Especially with a (calmer) South-side of Bainskloof right there...  😎

I still think we should've gone down the other side to have a go at the KOM with that huge tail wind.. but after this race not sure what was left in all those legs 😅

what was the reason the race did not go up Du Toits Kloof again? I rode up yesterday scratching my head thinking what was the reason?

9 hours ago, milky4130 said:

what was the reason the race did not go up Du Toits Kloof again? I rode up yesterday scratching my head thinking what was the reason?

something about road works somewhere on the route leading up to DuToitskloof

Road works on Wemmershoek leading back into Paarl.

Luckily they will magically finish the years long project in the next few days, because the new One Tonner route also uses that road to get back to Paarl / Wellington side... /s