Steel frame repair

RocknRolla

14 minutes ago, droo said:

I see your Alice, and raise you

That white rabbit lives in a black hole

Tip for next time: thermal expansion of aluminium is bigger than steel. Add Q10. Cool the seat post with ice. Heat steel with friction, work quickly to loosen aluminium part. Worked a charm when I had to remove quil stem after 34 years 

13 hours ago, psdutoit said:

Tip for next time: thermal expansion of aluminium is bigger than steel. Add Q10. Cool the seat post with ice. Heat steel with friction, work quickly to loosen aluminium part. Worked a charm when I had to remove quil stem after 34 years 

The only reason I had to remove the seatpost, is because it broke off at the seat tube, there was about 5mm of aly sticking out, not enough to properly get a grip.

I proceeded to use a hacksaw blade to gut a groove over the course of 2 days. The last little bit of the post I thought I could persuade to shear along the groove with a hammer and an very long flat screwdriver. The Aly had a different plan. Seat tube cracked due to the screwdriver and aly having had a disagreement over who is giving up.

I’m getting the frame back on Monday, will post pics before I take it to Steve’s guy. I still hurts that I did that to my frame.

Pic attached of broken seatpost straight after accident and More or less position of the crack in the seat tube.

C6380695-91AB-4792-BE65-C4DC9A5E92D7.jpeg

17 hours ago, Hairy said:

That white rabbit lives in a black hole

are you missing your music thread perhaps? lol

Edited by MORNE

27 minutes ago, RocknRolla said:

Pic as promised.

eina.jpg.3136ff87115a5074a24373cd87db1c0e.jpg

duct tape and cable ties .................... all you need :P

Whatever they use, you may need to ream the seat tube after the repair as some material I am sure will "seep through" the crack.