Help me choose my first road bike please

krepunk

Getting into road riding, I would suggest looking at a gravel bike. Not because they are more versatile or you may want to use it off road, really not for those reasons. I view gravel bikes as road bikes that can take wider tyres. Wide tyres on the road, 32mm or slightly more are really comfortable at the recommended pressure. I run 55 psi and weigh 74kg.

I know this goes against a lot of opinions on the hub:  (I'm looking at you @Pure Savage

1. Don't worry about the weight of the bike

2. Go tubeless (at about 32mm)

3. Hydraulic disc brakes

Spotted this in the classifieds, all it needs is a nice set of road tyres and you'll be smiling for many kilometres...   https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/gravel-and-cyclocross-bikes/500179/silverback-strela 

3 hours ago, Pure Savage said:

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/road-bikes/475717/cannondale-evo-super-six-swop-for-mtb-or-gravel

Bless this bra's photos, the bike is lekker, will serve you well.

I trawled through the classifieds in the OP's price range in Gauteng and IMO that Super Six is indeed the one. Well spotted. And here I thought you were just biased towards Cannondale.

Of the 2 bikes originally posted by the OP I'd go for the KTM. The Merida has a non series crank and brakes. And a Scultura is about as exiting as watching Big Brother reruns.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Update:

The Merida from Bikemarket is sold but the KTM is still available. I've been keeping an eye on the classifieds but not seen anything in my size and budget that *seems* as good as the Cannondale. Finding a 2nd hand gravel bike is also harder than expected...

I did find a few bikes that caught my attention though:

1. Titan Switch Expert
  2. Scott Addict R2
  3. Merida Lampre 903 (cheap)

I have contacted the seller of the Cannondale and would like to go see the bike before completing the deal. Is there anything I should be looking at specifically to make sure the bike is OK?

Do you think it's fair and reasonable to use the bike hub pay functionality, collect the bike and then take the bike to my LBS for a clean and inspection (at my cost) and confirm the deal once everything is checked out by someone more experienced than me?

Appreciate all the help so far!

5 minutes ago, krepunk said:

Update:

The Merida from Bikemarket is sold but the KTM is still available. I've been keeping an eye on the classifieds but not seen anything in my size and budget that *seems* as good as the Cannondale. Finding a 2nd hand gravel bike is also harder than expected...

1. Titan Switch Expert
  2. Scott Addict R2

I have contacted the seller of the Cannondale and would like to go see the bike before completing the deal. Is there anything I should be looking at specifically to make sure the bike is OK?

Do you think it's fair and reasonable to use the bike hub pay functionality, collect the bike and then take the bike to my LBS for a clean and inspection (at my cost) and confirm the deal once everything is checked out by someone more experienced than me?

When looking at that Cannondale I would check:

1. Check that the bolts are not coroded on the seat clamp

2. Check for play in the headset

3. Take a test ride, the bottom bracket will creak, its a cannondale, dont panic. Check it shifts nicely.

4. Look over the bike for any signs of carbon damage, if its more than a chip, beware. (Check for cracks near clamps for over tightening.)

5. Check for serial number under the BB.

6. Check the wheels run true, those Mavics are bulletproof, but impossible to replace a spoke or nipple. But if they running true, no issue.

7. Check the rear casette is a 32-11. 

45 minutes ago, krepunk said:

Update:

1. Titan Switch Expert
  2. Scott Addict R2

Is it possible that Cannondale is a 2014/2015 model? Had a little google, it might be. If you do go have a look at least take a chain wear tool with you. 

Here is a new bike for R20k: https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/road-bikes/505489/silverback-strela-comp

1 minute ago, Jono said:

Is it possible that Cannondale is a 2014/2015 model? Had a little google, it might be. If you do go have a look at least take a chain wear tool with you. 

Here is a new bike for R20k: https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/road-bikes/505489/silverback-strela-comp

If that cannondale is the older gen you are going to struggle to fit anything over 25c tyres on from what I have been told. The later generations fit 28c pretty comfortably from my experience running spez 28s on a wide easton rim.