27.5 x 3.0 Tyre Stock

birkettN

I have the Specialized Fuse and that BB is fairly low. Pedal strikes do happen from time to time. Slightly higher (better) when the 29er wheels are used. Making it feel like completely different bike. Nice option actually. 

21 minutes ago, Neill71 said:

I have the Specialized Fuse and that BB is fairly low. Pedal strikes do happen from time to time. Slightly higher (better) when the 29er wheels are used. Making it feel like completely different bike. Nice option actually. 

The wheel circumference difference between a 27.5 x 3.0 and a 29 x 2.3 is around 6mm. I doubt you'd notice a difference in BB height.

Edited by Rolf Hansen

23 minutes ago, Neill71 said:

Someone feels my pain. Cool man I might give it a go thanks

1 hour ago, birkettN said:

Specialized Slaughter Grids. The bike came with Specialized Purgatory Grid 3.0 which I had to replace.

Is it just a case of stock not available currently or is this a market trend of manufacturing less and less 3.0 tyres? 

I could get 29er wheels and run a 2.3" tyre, but I want to use the bike as it was intended and felt really good

Get yourself a set of 29" wheels. Had the same bike, the 3.0 tyres it comes with stock are poo - only control casing on narrow rims which means you don't get the advantage of a plus bike anyway coz you have to run high pressures. Getting a set of 29" wheels with 2.5" rubber was the best thing I ever did for that bike. 

48 minutes ago, Neill71 said:

In my case the difference in total height between the two wheels sets is about 15-18mm. And I do notice that 8-9mm drop in BB height. 

9A5A63AA-9EDC-41F0-8658-74F74934B999.jpeg

That is quite a difference what width 29" is that? 

19 hours ago, Grease_Monkey said:

Get yourself a set of 29" wheels. Had the same bike, the 3.0 tyres it comes with stock are poo - only control casing on narrow rims which means you don't get the advantage of a plus bike anyway coz you have to run high pressures. Getting a set of 29" wheels with 2.5" rubber was the best thing I ever did for that bike. 

Thanks man good to hear from somebody that's actually done it. Appreciate the feedback

my previous mtb frame could also take up to 3" 650b. but i quite comfortably ran 29x2.6" with i35 rims on that. 29x2.6 is the sweetspot imo if you want a bit more volume on a 29". They are noticeably bigger than a a 2.4. Something the maxxis Rekon 2.6 on a i35 is a huge tire, same with the hans damph, nobby nics etc. 

650b is heading the way of 26" unfortunately.

2.6 or a wide 2.5 on a wide 29" rim gives you the best of both worlds.