Newbie to MTB/trail riding - question about coil vs air shocks

Jaz

At that price, an air fork will be infinitely better than coil. Two reasons for this - one, it's adjustable, so you can set it up for your weight and riding style with a shock pump. Two, the tolerances on an air fork will be way tighter than on a coil, because they have to be. Just make sure you keep up with the servicing and it'll last you a long time.

For top-end big hitting stuff many people prefer a coil setup - but you need to get the spring rate right, and a fork will cost more than double the bike you're looking at.

That Titan is probably among the best you'll get in that price range. Go for it.

12K is not Enough Anymore. (For Brand New HardTail).

What cost 12K 2 Years Ago is 20 K Now and Usually No Stock.

19 hours ago, Jaz said:

I'm getting closer to buying my first proper MTB. I popped round to Mellow Velo today and spoke to Wesley, great chap! 

My budget is around R12k (bike only) I'm keen on the Titan Rogue Sport, since it has air shocks and the brand itself seems to be great value for money. Of course, any other reputable brand in the same price range will be considered. 

Both my wrists have been broken in the past, one hand has no cartilage and screws, while the other only has screws extra. I've been cleared by the surgeon to ride cycles. Wesley recommended the air shocks, to lessen the impact of terrain and vibrations on my hands. I'm looking at doing road/trail rides, not bliksem down a mountain jumping over rocks and stray animals.  

Is there really such a big difference, in your own experience, between the two shock types? Or do I save R2k and go for a Scott-type cycle?

You haved asked about the fork and alot of good advice is at hand, but with your hand injuries, the better question would be to look at is your grips (which make a big difference) and possibly your handlebar and gloves.  

You did not mention what is the situation with your hands (less grip, cannot close your hands, etc.) Im asking, because even with the best fork, if you can not hold on properly, the fork is only part of the issue. 

14 minutes ago, FrancoisdeVille said:

You haved asked about the fork and alot of good advice is at hand, but with your hand injuries, the better question would be to look at is your grips (which make a big difference) and possibly your handlebar and gloves.  

You did not mention what is the situation with your hands (less grip, cannot close your hands, etc.) Im asking, because even with the best fork, if you can not hold on properly, the fork is only part of the issue. 

Great points, my hands are fully functional and I don't have issues with grip. 

Sometimes when I ride my motorbike, the vibrations cause a slight pins and needles feeling, but nothing major. 

My surgeon just recommended I take certain supplements a day or two before I ride to address any issues.