Mid level dual suss

Mamil

The giant looks like it's got 90mm shock and 100 fork which is less than the Trek. I'd rather have the sram drive train than the shimano) apparently at this price point its better). Neither is a deal breaker though. 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, Mamil said:

I wouldn't be averse to a deal like that. My preference for new is the warranty and my preference for trek is that I love the look of the bike and it puts the purchase with my lbs which is important because it supports them and it means the bike and its inevitable repairs and problems happen in the context of that relationship. 

sounds like its the Trek then

8 minutes ago, Mamil said:

The giant looks like it's got 90mm shock and 100 fork which is less than the Trek. I'd rather have the sram drive train than the shimano) apparently at this price point its better). Neither is a deal breaker though. 

https://www.trekbikes.com/za/en_ZA/bikes/mountain-bikes/cross-country-mountain-bikes/top-fuel/top-fuel-7/p/35070/?colorCode=black this one has the XT rear derailer and SLX crank/shifters. I haven't tried the 12 spd XT but had the 11 spd before and it was flawless. And 120mm. That's pretty good hey !

8 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

sounds like its the Trek then

I'm leaning that way. Just making sure my brand and shop loyalty isn't making me miss out on something. 

The second hand option is interesting and I have always taken that route with cars. I'm prejudiced with bikes though for some reason. 

The other thing with new is that stock is a big problem atm.

Once I get the bike watch this space for a well priced 2016 merida dual suss with about 10000k on the clock, well maintained, some paintwork cracks and an annoying patch of raw alu where inexperience made me neglect to protect the frame from the bike rack. 

17 minutes ago, Jbr said:

https://www.trekbikes.com/za/en_ZA/bikes/mountain-bikes/cross-country-mountain-bikes/top-fuel/top-fuel-7/p/35070/?colorCode=black this one has the XT rear derailer and SLX crank/shifters. I haven't tried the 12 spd XT but had the 11 spd before and it was flawless. And 120mm. That's pretty good hey !

Oh ja. That's the one that's caught my eye. Got the drive train thing the wrong way around. Its the entry sram that I'm told is better than the entry shimano. At the top end I'm told it's the sram that's better. 

8 minutes ago, Mamil said:

Oh ja. That's the one that's caught my eye. Got the drive train thing the wrong way around. Its the entry sram that I'm told is better than the entry shimano. At the top end I'm told it's the sram that's better. 

eeeeh not what I was told, I always heard SLX/XT are excellent for their prices, and anything lower than GX is crap in the sram range. I wouldn't worry too much about that one for the price !

I never had SLX or lower than GX but my GX AXS (12sp) is absolutely perfect and my old XT(11sp) was also excellent. On the opposite I wasn't convinced with my XTR 12sp that came with my curent bike, but the bike was 2nd hand so who knows what it went through.

Edited by Jbr

5 minutes ago, Mamil said:

I'm leaning that way. Just making sure my brand and shop loyalty isn't making me miss out on something. 

The second hand option is interesting and I have always taken that route with cars. I'm prejudiced with bikes though for some reason. 

The other thing with new is that stock is a big problem atm.

Once I get the bike watch this space for a well priced 2016 merida dual suss with about 10000k on the clock, well maintained, some paintwork cracks and an annoying patch of raw alu where inexperience made me neglect to protect the frame from the bike rack. 

Although i think the Scott is an interesting design I don't feel it gives anything more than the Trek does. At the price point it also introduces unnecessary complication to  a simple shock service (I disagree with the spin doctoring of it running cleaner since it still generates a lot of heat during compression)

The Trek looks better and the serviceability plus the relationship with your LBS counts for a lot since that's the difference between priority service vs back of the queue.

I would expect the Trek to be a lighter bike as well ( I don't believe the values given on websites, prefer to weight the actual bike)

4 minutes ago, Jbr said:

eeeeh not what I was told, I always heard SLX/XT are excellent for their prices, and anything lower than GX is crap in the sram range. I wouldn't worry too much about that one for the price !

I never had SLX or lower than GX but my GX AXS (12sp) is absolutely perfect and my old XT(11sp) was also excellent. On the opposite I wasn't convinced with my XTR 12sp that came with my curent bike, but the bike was 2nd hand so who knows what it went through.

SLX is an excellent option so wouldn't fret it. Its easy enough to convert to SRAM anyway. Just wait for something to break and replace with your preferred components line. SRAM and SHimano 12speed MTB shifts and derailleurs are compatible

13 minutes ago, Mamil said:

So in both cases SRAM is better ?????

2c, check out the equivalent titan cypher in that price range... you may be surprised at spec. We couldn't find a better alternative a year ago and that bike hasn't missed a beat.

7 minutes ago, Koos Likkewaan said:

So in both cases SRAM is better ?????

Don't mind me... Simple mind and easily confused. One of them is better at low end according to someone and the other at top. 

13 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Although i think the Scott is an interesting design I don't feel it gives anything more than the Trek does. At the price point it also introduces unnecessary complication to  a simple shock service (I disagree with the spin doctoring of it running cleaner since it still generates a lot of heat during compression)

The Trek looks better and the serviceability plus the relationship with your LBS counts for a lot since that's the difference between priority service vs back of the queue.

I would expect the Trek to be a lighter bike as well ( I don't believe the values given on websites, prefer to weight the actual bike)

Ja I'm not convinced by that rear shock "innovation". Looks clean though 

3 minutes ago, Mamil said:

Don't mind me... Simple mind and easily confused. One of them is better at low end according to someone and the other at top. 

My 2cents would be Shimano at the lower end. They really are value for money in the Deore and SLX range.

1 hour ago, Mamil said:

Ja I'm not convinced by that rear shock "innovation". Looks clean though 

Convinced. Pfffttt. It's like the new fangled one on the Trek Supercaliber. Sexy as all ****. 

16 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

Convinced. Pfffttt. It's like the new fangled one on the Trek Supercaliber. Sexy as all ****. 

I do like the look of it. Don't know how it rides but at that price it doesn't bear thinking about