Knysna solo ride safety

JohnL

Hi All,

I am thinking of a move to Knysna after a long while working overseas. I wanted to ask about safety of riding solo on the roads. Not so much in terms of traffic but more from a crime perspective. Is it ok to head out and say ride knysna to George alone?

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

John

Over the past year I have spent about two months riding alone on the gravel roads around Knysna and I have had 0 issues. When I have had mechanicals or crashes, I have been offered lifts. I do avoid riding UP past Concordia but I don'd mind descending through there (this might be @copperhead's township near/on the hill) and instead take the ridiculous Simola + Gouna hills. I have not gone further than the turnoff to Hoekwil on the Seven Passes road from Knysna as the round trip is like 150km of gravel and if I am doing that sort of mileage I would rather head inland and do a loop towards Uniondale and then Plett. 

To be honest my biggest worry is wiping out catastrophically and not seeing anyone for a while... The roads are pretty quiet sometimes. 

If you need route advice go grab my number off the ads and I will happily send some advice.

23 minutes ago, Sid the Sloth said:

Over the past year I have spent about two months riding alone on the gravel roads around Knysna and I have had 0 issues. When I have had mechanicals or crashes, I have been offered lifts. I do avoid riding UP past Concordia but I don'd mind descending through there (this might be @copperhead's township near/on the hill) and instead take the ridiculous Simola + Gouna hills. I have not gone further than the turnoff to Hoekwil on the Seven Passes road from Knysna as the round trip is like 150km of gravel and if I am doing that sort of mileage I would rather head inland and do a loop towards Uniondale and then Plett. 

To be honest my biggest worry is wiping out catastrophically and not seeing anyone for a while... The roads are pretty quiet sometimes. 

If you need route advice go grab my number off the ads and I will happily send some advice.

Edited by Wayne pudding Mol
Posted in wrong place

I ride the 7 passes between George and  let’s say central Knysna - I don’t go past the township on my bike and I wouldn’t - it’s just asking for trouble 

From the lagoon to George on the top road is about as safe as anywhere can be - as far as the N2 Knysna to George, again safe from being accosted but riding a bicycle on a national highway in SA is just madness in my view - I see and know people who do it. I prefer to minimize my chances of being hit by 2 tons of metal doing 120km

if you’re a roadie get wider tyres, drop the pressure and ride the 7 passes - probably half tar half gravel