Garmin wrong meters climb

Morne Du Toit77

Good day, hope there is some help, i just purchased me the garmin edge 530, but its meters climb is way out, i had the wahoo bolt and gave it to my brother, but we ride together and i sometimes turn around back to him on climbs but there is 50meters diference, are there setting or something i must do to get correct reading, pleaaase help me

We use a 520 and 130.

Elevation is different on each, and also different on Strava .... I do believe these are all gps based values.

Your 530 may be barometric pressure based.  Fine in constant climatic conditions .... but they loose the plot when the weather changes ....

Hi about 3min before ride,the thing i cant understand i had the sigma rox , when i got the wahoo i gave  my sigma rox to my brother and when he ride together the sigma and wahoo climbs shows nearly the same but when i got the garmin now there 50m diference, even on my watch it show same as the sigma and wahoo

It's a Garmin.

My 830 and my Garmin watch both were hopelessly inaccurate compared to other devices.

But dont tell the Fenix wearers here, they'll kill your family! ????  They're a serious bunch.

But find looking at rides with other devices now, much more accurate in the readings.

10 hours ago, Simon123 said:

It's a Garmin.

My 830 and my Garmin watch both were hopelessly inaccurate compared to other devices.

But dont tell the Fenix wearers here, they'll kill your family! ????  They're a serious bunch.

But find looking at rides with other devices now, much more accurate in the readings.

Hahahaha

I forked out for a Fenix6 Pro as I amble up mountains a lot. I record most rides on it too as it syncs automatically to Connect and strava in a flash. 

It is an amazing piece of kit to be fair but nothing is faultless.

I do still use my old Stages bike computer on the bars so I don't have to glance at my wrist to see HR/effort etc... Despite the Stages being absolute junk, the elevation recorded is usually way less than the Fenix.

Does it have to do with how often the various devices ping?

I'm not overly concerned as my stats are irrelevant. Is it actually an important issue for most of us? 

i once rode with a Garmin 520, Polar GPS and my phone using Strava.

to make it as fair a comparison as i could i turned off auto pause.

at the end of a 100km ride they all had different elevations and distances.

the distance difference between the polar and garmin was just over 1km.

I some times ride with 2 other mates, between the 3 of us we have 3 different devices, all show different elevation stats.

My Garmin seems to believe most of my riding is few hundred meters below sea level ????

Always amused how different the elevation correction is between Strava and Trainingpeaks. Strava is sometimes generous where as Training peaks is almost always stingy with elevation

Handheld GPS's and watches are good at finding you on a flat plane but the GPS receiver required to do vertical calculations is much larger, more complex and requires a lot more power and you have to have more satellites connections (read bigger receivers) than the smaller ones on your wrist, or this is what my geologist mates tell me who sells the ones he uses for geophysics for tens of thousands of rand.

Look TBH lets be grateful for them - they are amazing little pieces of kit that ten years ago were in the realm of science fiction.  the amount of tech you have on your wrist and what its doing would have needed a laboratory ten to 15 years ago. we freely throw around HRV, VO2 max, FTP etc like its run of the mill.

Use the correction features of your software which has been mapped by the big GPS's mentioned above.