Medals at events

MG22

13 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

These days I only do events where the finishing token is worth keeping. Not because it's better than anything else, but because the event itself is worth getting out of bed for.

A Basutu Blanket, some belt buckles, some wire animals.. 

The only participation medal I would accept is a silver at Oceans. 

The allure of racing, races and events eludes me these days. I was talked into doing a running race a few weeks ago and to get to registration and have the checks done and make my start batch I had to get up at 4am to run 50km of trails I could have got up and run at a reasonable time the next day. I was grumbly to myself about that and how much of an idiot I was for being talked into it.

BUT, on that, I'm kinda with Skubarra. If you're going to hand out medals, metal ones are definitely better. Unless they are awesome recycled plastic cups made by a community project and the proceeds of the race go towards that community... or some such.

I would definitely take a 500ml coke bottle trophy.

Energy events went through a stage of giving out potted succulents and a stodels gift card instead of medals. My wife liked that

Agreed on many scores here. some creative thinking and innovation is required. 

Firstly i could not be asked to get up at stupid o'clock in the cold/rain/sun/wind any more and go and ride a race when i can do it in my time and comfortably around the local routes.  Been there done that many times and have all the T shirts and medals. Jaded old fart I may be but my current bundle is easing out on a great ride with mates and  I do maybe 2 races a year these days. But at a time i rode every weekend in a race and could do a race Saturday and Sunday - so not boasting but the medals started to get a bit tedious however if they give you warm fuzzies then so be it

However the other thing  you mentioned and which we did in my previous company was we used the funds we were spending on customer giveaways that was going out of SA to cheap foreign knock offs like memory sticks/trinkets and trash for customer giveaways to get beadwork done, wire keyrings, handbags from plastic bags - focusing on taking the budget and ploughing it back in to the people who were in the most need. Women, PDI's j kids homes etc.  We even gave away vet plante for reduction of CO 2 debt.

There are so many things you can do which will have the same impact of a medal and which will amplify the good from a small spend. Even if R 5 rather give it to the needy in the form of a mandate to make a thousand nifty keyrings, wire beaded animals, vet plante etc. 

If any event organisers are reading this then i would suggest the following:

1.) Medals are opt in optional if you want one

2.) if opt out a donation to a charity - and it can be a long list. And make sure you give the funds not pocket them ????

3.) Whatever you do make it socially responsible - if they want a medal then get the wire bead dude on the corner to make them or the women crocheting to make them. Even at a premium people will go with this as they are seeing their money being used for good. Stop the money going to the big guys and plough it back at grass roots. 

Cycling like running is pretty democratic and easily accessible - have a bike and can ride - its pretty easy. Use it as a vehicle for good.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, Paul Ruinaard said:

Agreed on many scores here. some creative thinking and innovation is required. 

Firstly i could not be asked to get up at stupid o'clock in the cold/rain/sun/wind any more and go and ride a race when i can do it in my time and comfortably around the local routes.  Been there done that many times and have all the T shirts and medals. Jaded old fart I may be but my current bundle is easing out on a great ride with mates and  I do maybe 2 races a year these days. But at a time i rode every weekend in a race and could do a race Saturday and Sunday - so not boasting but the medals started to get a bit tedious however if they give you warm fuzzies then so be it

However the other thing  you mentioned and which we did in my previous company was we used the funds we were spending on customer giveaways that was going out of SA to cheap foreign knock offs like memory sticks/trinkets and trash for customer giveaways to get beadwork done, wire keyrings, handbags from plastic bags - focusing on taking the budget and ploughing it back in to the people who were in the most need. Women, PDI's j kids homes etc.  We even gave away vet plante for reduction of CO 2 debt.

There are so many things you can do which will have the same impact of a medal and which will amplify the good from a small spend. Even if R 5 rather give it to the needy in the form of a mandate to make a thousand nifty keyrings, wire beaded animals, vet plante etc. 

If any event organisers are reading this then i would suggest the following:

1.) Medals are opt in optional if you want one

2.) if opt out a donation to a charity - and it can be a long list. And make sure you give the funds not pocket them ????

3.) Whatever you do make it socially responsible - if they want a medal then get the wire bead dude on the corner to make them or the women crocheting to make them. Even at a premium people will go with this as they are seeing their money being used for good. Stop the money going to the big guys and plough it back at grass roots. 

Cycling like running is pretty democratic and easily accessible - have a bike and can ride - its pretty easy. Use it as a vehicle for good.

So much of this. 

The motives and actions of the event are a big driving force behind me entering.

I donate my time and effort to the Picket-bo-berg events as a sweeper or assist where I can as the proceeds all go into the local community, building a school etc 

RASA have their education fund, EA do community upliftment etc... I really do like this take on things vs a race/event 

I'm not suggesting organisers don't make money, but like you say, support an industry/community project with regards the finishers token or in some way where you can

24 minutes ago, love2fly said:

Cool idea. I'm in JHB but see someone's doing in here too...But followed the link and its no longer there....

I think the guys at Cyclelab took mine. Havent done it in a bit though

19 hours ago, Mamil said:

The medals don't do it for me at all. On my fridge I have a fridge magnet from the grabouw sa champs which was some or other mtb event holding up a card from the last eroica next to the butlers pizza one and a jack black that says craft beer isn't a crime from the lockdown. 

Id like more fridge magnets at finish lines. 

Yes, but Craft Beer is a Crime. You should take that thing down instantly. ???? 

I like my medals, I don’t have a lot, but each one holds memories for me. Prior to moving house, they hung off the bookshelf in my office at home (where nobody but myself ever spent time) and every now and again I would catch myself reflecting on what each one was. Even the medal from the 10k race at big red barn means something as it was the first official event my son did. 

having said that, my favourite two items on that shelf are the piece of stone on a wooden base that was given out at the end of the imfolozi mtb challenge and the beaded bracelet thing that they gave us on day 2 of Sani. I would be happy to donate for a medal and agree that locally made stuff is a better option, especially if it’s unique 

The special ones goes with a photo showing details of the event.

Doing a 10km ride with Maritz when he was barely 6 years old ... and it turned out to be 12km ... that sweeper was with us for the last km, but Maritz hung in there.

Me going full taps in Napier ... then suffering into a massive head wind .... and the cramps .... tough day in the saddle, good memories ...

Screenshot_20211026-154837_Gallery.jpg.b7c6d163be6dc6228f85972816d633ab.jpg

The other medals make it onto the wheel .... was hoping for more on the wheel, then the world stopped ....

Screenshot_20211026-154831_Gallery.jpg.fbe79f3c955628bb3870ef0bd6b534e0.jpg

The Eselfontein medal will get its photo and frame very soon ???? dont care that it is plastic, the memories of that ride are excellent .... even me nearly killing myself trying to ride those fast downhills with a lady ... seeing those drops on the Epic broadcast sent shivers down my spine .... WILL do Eselfontein again ????

On 10/24/2021 at 7:49 PM, MG22 said:

What happened to proper medals (zinc, metal) etc. I notice that over the last few events that I participated in we received PASTIC medals. Really horrible tasteless pieces of plastic as medals. This is quite disappointing when you pay R200 to enter and then get such a shitty piece of pollution. It would be better not to issue any medals!!

It is not my main motivation for participation but it is just disappointing to be handed such cheap plastic at the end of a race. 

For example : today’s Winter Fast One plastic medal

Am I alone in this opinion? Maybe there is a good reason for the move to plastic medals?

I think they are crap and tasteless. I agree, it will be my last one, and we are all "ELITE " riders no age groups at all. 

3 minutes ago, Jorgeamado said:

I think they are crap and tasteless. I agree, it will be my last one, and we are all "ELITE " riders no age groups at all. 

That age group thing in the 80k irritated me somewhat, they bothered to have correct age groups for the 60 so why not for the 80?

• 2 weeks later...

American company. Acording to Runners World the coasters are the brainchild of Chicago runner Ryan DeBoer. Dont know if some Chinese company are selling rip-off.

Edited by _David_

21 hours ago, _David_ said:

I like these Kudos coaster medal holders. 

2064694387_images(1).jpeg.5ec8dd6fd96d7d69086302ee46367ba2.jpeg

Some medals I keep and other I just chuck away, guess it depends on the sentimental value the event had for me.

20211106_093455.jpg.1fd8a79c87c35fd8a48eebdf39eb9050.jpg

Which calf is your tattoo on? ????

On 10/24/2021 at 7:49 PM, MG22 said:

What happened to proper medals (zinc, metal) etc. I notice that over the last few events that I participated in we received PASTIC medals. Really horrible tasteless pieces of plastic as medals. This is quite disappointing when you pay R200 to enter and then get such a shitty piece of pollution. It would be better not to issue any medals!!

It is not my main motivation for participation but it is just disappointing to be handed such cheap plastic at the end of a race. 

For example : today’s Winter Fast One plastic medal

Am I alone in this opinion? Maybe there is a good reason for the move to plastic medals?

Oh no my participation medal wasn't good enough :(, honestly mate?

On 10/26/2021 at 8:19 AM, ouzo said:

I was with Mudlark on this until you mentioned the cloth badge, I'd take that over a medal. My very first ever funride back in 1987 I recieved a cloth badge that I still have. That can atleast be tucked into an album with photos of the event.

We should punt this idea.

edit. Found a pic on my phone

F57EBAFC-8374-42A6-8277-9B51BDC4781A.jpeg.5e503b4c50ef27b02aec972e6a269e29.jpeg

I have a medal cabinet that has the medals from 947 and ctct in. The rest are in a box somewhere. Actually found the same cabinet at a flee market and bought it as a second one because the first does not have enough space. 

Funny enough that was my first race too! I came late as you guys headed off I just did a u turn and joined…. I even made a rear disc wheel for the event, I was just broken when I couldn’t stay with Robbie Macintosh as he came late and started to cut through the field like a Pro. ????????????