Shimano SLX spring issue (7 months old).

Markus66

Hi Guys,

I recently bought a new specialized evo in March 2021 and derailleur (Shimano SLX) spring recently stopped working. It was sent back to Shimano in Joburg and they said unfortunately the spring is damaged and they do not cover that in the warranty. They do not cover it as the damage is caused from the spring not getting serviced and looked after and lubed. 

Just wanted to know if anyone else has had the same issue before and does that sound right?

Cheers

Okes taking chances.

I bought a wheelset recently and on my first ride it sliced my rear tyre. Turns out the inside edge of the rim where the bead grips had a sharp edge. So sharp it cut my skin when rubbing it. Wheel manufacturer says old tyre (only 7 months old at the time), riding damage (first ride - really?) , not his problem.

Cost me a new tyre - R1200 Spez Butcher - and some 600 grit sand paper to gently rub the sharp edge out.

The wheel is fine since, but clearly people are not prepared to cover shoddy workmanship anymore.

Suppose I won't RAPIDLY be buying anything from them again...

Ok, I'll bite. 

Whats the cost of a new spring? Im guessing most people riding those frames can afford a small spring? 

9 hours ago, droo said:

Happens to the 12sp stuff a lot, and it's the clutch not the spring. 

Easy enough to fix with a service in most cases.

okay thanks , that makes more sense 

9 hours ago, 117 said:

Ok, I'll bite. 

Whats the cost of a new spring? Im guessing most people riding those frames can afford a small spring? 

If were talking about the clutch , it's fairly inexpensive IF you can find stock 

and believe me that's A Mighty big if 

This whole Shimano clutch service thing pi$$es me off. I am groupset agnostic, also have an Epic Evo with SLX. Coming off my old SRAM GX 11, never had to touch it. I wish the Shimano clutch never needed servicing too. 

My SLX clutch is still fine, but I am dik paranoid and wiggle it regularly to check it. Finding Shimano special clutch grease is also not easy at the moment. 

I’m a massive Shimano 12 speed fan, so I'm usually biased towards Shimano. But the clutch is an issue and needs to be serviced as often as you change a babies nappy. Massive pain, so much so that I just don't cycle with the clutch on

40 minutes ago, Knersboy said:

This whole Shimano clutch service thing pi$$es me off. I am groupset agnostic, also have an Epic Evo with SLX. Coming off my old SRAM GX 11, never had to touch it. I wish the Shimano clutch never needed servicing too. 

My SLX clutch is still fine, but I am dik paranoid and wiggle it regularly to check it. Finding Shimano special clutch grease is also not easy at the moment. 

Also biased to Shimano 

But honestly I think 11spd gx and xo were to date the best groupsets ever made

GX 11 is good, nice strong derailleur and pretty decent shifting. Also no issues in 4 years with springs or clutches. Its even survived being pulled on to straighten the bent hanger. That said, my even older Saint 10 speed shifter powered XT 10 speed has been dead reliable, clutch included. 

As Droo says, a service will cure it. A decent bike shop should have suitable grease and surely won't charge an arm and a leg?

Edited by Headshot

Not just on the SLX that the clutch is piss poor in terms of design. 

My XTR is 10 months old and upon inspection yesterday I found it is squeaking more than my hip on cold days. 

Time to service it I guess. Did not expect it so soon. 

My SLX blew apart in 6 months. Also no warranty as it "wasn't maintained" Clutch lever just kept on coming loose. 

.... in hindsight my XTR clutch was randomly off as well yesterday... (thinking in SRAM suddenly)

6 hours ago, Knersboy said:

Yes it is a service item.  And it can get very "gritty" if not serviced.

Servicing it ...barely a few minutes.  Now used to checking it, and quickly clean and lube as needed.

Still much less fuss than I had from my two GX bikes .....

Clutch service completed in 15 minutes. Most if it spent getting my tension exactly the way i like it. 

Top top:  Take photos every step of the way and apply a thin layer of grease on the rubber seal to help keep it seated and to protect against water coming in. 

Most people at least in my experience, are used to the fit and forget groupsets up to about 10speed I guess. No fiddling about, take the bike in for a service now and then. Clean and lube occasionally ...

Modern 11/12sp although having many cool benefits has become really 'needy' ... IMHO of course. Special inner cable for this and outer for that, service this every 5 hours, replace that every 50

Heaven forbid you haven't complied exactly to the letter should you have a problem

#SMK

Servicing a Shimano derailer clutch is a 5 minute exercise, and can be done on the bile.

Got a tub of Shimano Derailer Grease from #EVOBIKES, did not cost a lot, and I now have a lifetime supply of it. (you use only a smidge of it between the friction spring and the clutch drum)

Top Tip: before removing the clutch assembly, back the friction adjustment screw a turn or two back to ease the removal of the friction spring from the clutch drum, and just return it to the original adjustment when putting together again.