Orbea Oiz in South Africa

GRG

Good evening fellow Hubbers!

I am in the market for a new carbon, dual-sus. That's where the trouble starts, as doing a lot of research helps, but as well can give you too much to think about.

Some more info: At the moment I ride a carbon hardtail and I am someone who frequents trails like Wolwespruit, rides marathons and the occasional stage races.

Que the Orbea Oiz.

After watching Flow Mountainbike's review of the Oiz (really informative page btw), this bike seems to be a very valid option for someone looking fro a snappy, carbon dual-sus that handles well, fits 2 bottle cages etc. The squid-lock remote as well is very appealing.

Can anyone vouch for this bike in particular or have experience with Orbea in South Africa?

Should I rather stick to the brands are more common in SA?

Thanks in advance, cheers

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Speak to Bernard : https://fluidlines.co.za/

Orbea used to have a good presence in SA till about 5 years ago. When the market took a downturn Fluidlines concentrated on their triathlon products more and more. They can still obtain the MTb's  as far as I know

Edited by DieselnDust

Hi

I have an Orbea Oiz (small frame). The small only takes 1 bottle. I haven’t dealt with Orbea SA. I bought a frame through Bernard at Fluidlines. But I believe he discontinued importing Orbea’s.  you can check with him:
bernard@fluidlines.co.za

i bought the frame in Aug 2019 (if I recall). Did a custom build. The frame I have is the same is the latest (2021 version). They now do a TR build as well (120mm travel front & back). The frame I bought is 100mm travel to which I fitted a 100mm fork. Frame is the same, the TR just have different tunes shock and 120mm fork.

my build came in at 10.03kg. I did fit a dropper recently which does add some weight, but still under 10.7kg

the bike itself is a dream. I have had a silverback (hard tail), giant anthem, custom build on Chinese frame, Pivot Mach 429, Momsen Vipa & the Orbea OIZ. The orbea is by far the best all round bike. Pivot was also 100mm. descending on the pivot was better; more confidence inspiring. I scared myself on it going downhill. Climbing wasn’t as good as the Oiz. Climbing with the oiz is the best of all the bikes i’ve had. Really good climbing & descending 2nd behind the pivot. But overall the best bike I’ve had (& have). 

I didn’t know there was an orbea SA ‘dealer’. I know there is an orbea concept store somewhere, but not sure they stock all bikes or import all. Please send me the details (if you have).

I also ride Wolwespruit, Voortrekker, BRB, etc. I do do drops and jumps and have never felt that the bike is ‘flimsy’. With the VIPA I sometimes wonder when a jump is going to end in disaster (bike cracking under me). The oiz feel solid!!

I love the oiz, maneuverability is awesome. I only have good things; no issues, nor complaints in the 2 years I have had the bike.  All cable routing is internal. The onlu negative I have is the single bottle on the small, but then I haven’t found any bike (small) that can take 2 bottles.

Ariana is 175cm and probably rides a Medium.

Other Orbea KMC riders: Victor Koretzky, Thomas Litcher, Milan Vader… Victor has a couple of wins and good races on his OIZ in 2021 (XCO)

35 minutes ago, ACM said:

C54F19E6-7456-4A95-B60A-410679D46623.jpeg.c828de9d9a4b6a99b76faa2e0472573a.jpeg

On my list of must have bikes, $ short.

She is on a medium.

Would love a Myo option. 

Edited by DJuice
Spelling

Hi all, thanks for the info, sounds positive. 

There really are not many going around, makes it even more appealing

Edited by GRG

Reached out to fluid lines a while back to enquire about a Orbea Oiz. 

CWC is bringing them into SA from now on and not Fluid lines. Best to go there if you are looking for one. 

Due to the amount of stock available, I settled on a different bike, but again best to reach out to CWC.

1 hour ago, Dappere said:

Reached out to fluid lines a while back to enquire about a Orbea Oiz. 

CWC is bringing them into SA from now on and not Fluid lines. Best to go there if you are looking for one. 

Due to the amount of stock available, I settled on a different bike, but again best to reach out to CWC.

Just for interest sake, what did you settle on? 

20 hours ago, GRG said:

@DappereNice, as well a great option, specially being used to a hardtail

The Supercaliber has some characteristic that you would enjoy coming from a hardtail, but can state with certainty its defiantly not a hardtail, or a softtail as some people allude too. The 60mm of travel out back does feel like a bit more than 60mm, but its not as plush as that of my previous Top Fuel with a 115mm out back. 

Getting the setup correct can take some playing around with. The suggested suspension settings is a great start, but found I am about 10 psi lower than the suggested and playing around with tokens also helped the shocks feel. 

Depending on your type of riding and goals, the bike might be an option for you. Till date I can only speak good of my experience with the bike. Got some PRs on climbs (to be expected) and descends. The bike is very responsive and wants to be pushed.

Best to go to a Trek dealership and try one to see if the bike would suit your needs.