Indoor training wheel

JKMTB

Hi all.

I have got a Silverback Stride SX and recently bought a Wahoo Kickr Snap to try to get into indoor cycling. I bought it second hand and it came with a road rim with a tacx training tyre on it. The guy I bought it from used it on his mtb even though it is a road wheel.

The issue is that the rim is a thru axle whereas my bike uses a quick release.

The rim is also too wide by the hub where you stick the thru axle through.

Can I buy a road rim that will fit my bike?

Thanks in advance 

Is it a 29" tyre ?

If so is will fit on a standard 700C road "rim" ????

PS ... the correct term for "rim" is "wheel"

2 hours ago, JKMTB said:

Can a road tyre fit on MTB wheel?

Also it is 700c whereas my wheel is 29”

YES, it does :thumbup:

I have 700C50 slicks on my 29'' hardtail MTB, on the standard 29'' wheels

20210914_065726.jpg

19 hours ago, JKMTB said:

The rim is also too wide by the hub  

What on earth does that mean? Unless your wheel is really pretzled, the rim should be just about as far away from the hub as it could ever be.

19 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

What on earth does that mean? Unless your wheel is really pretzled, the rim should be just about as far away from the hub as it could ever be.

I think he means the "complete wheel's hub" is wider which probably means the wheel he got with the trainer has a boost hub with a through axle and his frame is non-boost with a quick release.

Just now, Rolf Hansen said:

I think he means the "complete wheel's hub" is wider which probably means the wheel he got with the trainer has a boost hub with a through axle and his frame is non-boost with a quick release.

Ah, so his problem is the boost part, cause you get adaptors to run a QR with a thru axle hub. I got it now.

34 minutes ago, Rolf Hansen said:

Some of the older wheel on trainers were just too narrow to fit boost hub bikes.

Maybe this is what he meant ?

40 minutes ago, Rolf Hansen said:

Not sure if you get boost in a road hub - OP noted that he got a "road rim" with the trainer. It might be a through-axle and the hole in the hub is "too wide" where the QR goes through.

Perhaps the OP can share some pictures of what he has.

7 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Some of the older wheel on trainers were just too narrow to fit boost hub bikes.

Maybe this is what he meant ?

they are also to narrow to fit a road bike disc wheel

17 hours ago, Johnny82 said:

Not sure if you get boost in a road hub - OP noted that he got a "road rim" with the trainer. It might be a through-axle and the hole in the hub is "too wide" where the QR goes through.

Perhaps the OP can share some pictures of what he has.

Here is the pic. As you can see, it is too wide to fit my bike. From what you all have said, I have come to the conclusion that the road wheel is a thru axle boost (hence why it is too wide) where as I need a quick release non-boost wheel. Would it be easier to just buy a new (or rather secondhand) wheel or buy a new hub and replace the current one?

Thanks so much for all your help. When in need, let the knowledgable people of the bike hub forums help!

FA036DE2-4970-4342-B2F5-6745B7DE6C23.jpeg