Convert From Eagle 1 x 12 to Shimano 1 x 12?

love2fly

As the day draws nearer when I have to replace my Eagle GX cassette I'm considering converting to Shimano 1 x 12.

3 questions:

1. Yes/No

2. What needs to be replaced and with what?

3. What will approximate cost be?

Current: Eagle GX Cassette & XX1 Chain

Eagle GX Cranks & Spindle

Sram GXP Threaded BB

Novatec wheel with XD Driver

Thanks in advance

Edited by love2fly

Yes if its a cost decision.

Your big change will be the free body. You need to research is the Novatec will allow you to swop out the XD freebody and replace with Microspline to accept the Shimano 12spd. If it doesn't allow a straight swop then its a new hub on the back....

23 minutes ago, love2fly said:

As the day draws nearer when I have to replace my Eagle GX cassette I'm considering converting to Shimano 1 x 12.

3 questions:

1. Yes/No

2. What needs to be replaced and with what?

3. What will approximate cost be?

Sram GXP Threaded BB

Thanks in advance

1. Yes - Best change/upgrade I ever made.

2. DR, Cassette, Chain, Shifter and Microspline freehub.

3. Depend if you go SLX, XT or XTR.  SLX under R5k, XTR over R10k ....  :).

As per BigToe, you need to check if you can get a Microspline freehub for you rear hub, if not, you need a new rear hub also.

Edit:  That being said, you already heavily invested into SRAM, why not just get a new GX cassette?  Would be cheaper and a lot less hassles.

Edited by TheoG

27 minutes ago, love2fly said:

3 questions:

1. Yes/No Why?

2. What needs to be replaced and with what? Cassette and freehub, the rest will work with the Shimano Microspline cassette, but why?

3. What will approximate cost be? What level of Shimano parts are you considering for this "upgrade"

Sram GXP Threaded BB

Thanks in advance

16 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

As to why...cost of cassette and chain is a bit high but I can't argue the mileage I've done. Had lots of issues with BB bearings not lasting until I stopped using the wavy washer which I believe is only for press fit BB's...(the threaded BB has the plastic insert on the DS). 

I would likely go with XT. I've also twice had my Sram Level TLM brakes replaced under warranty but those seem good now. Maybe not as sharp as Shimano but they will do.. 

A switch is just something I'm considering for now.

To my mind the only upgrade is an XX1 cassette

another XX1 chain and you’re good for 15 000km

even the X01 cassettes are significantly more durable than the gx 

EDIT posted as you did - I see you have more reasons 

Edited by Wayne pudding Mol
More info

9 minutes ago, love2fly said:

As to why...cost of cassette and chain is a bit high but I can't argue the mileage I've done. Had lots of issues with BB bearings not lasting until I stopped using the wavy washer which I believe is only for press fit BB's...(the threaded BB has the plastic insert on the DS). 

I would likely go with XT. I've also twice had my Sram Level TLM brakes replaced under warranty but those seem good now. Maybe not as sharp as Shimano but they will do.. 

I'm sitting on 16,000km on an XO1 cassette. Third XX1 chain for the bike. 

Cost/km of the SRAM cassettes is slightly better than the Shimano IME.

The Shimano cassette does shift more softly up and down which is nice

15 minutes ago, love2fly said:

If you shop around you can save a few bucks, I got a XTR chain & cassette, XT DR & Shifter, including DT Swiss microspline freehub, I paid under R9k.

7 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

I'm sitting on 16,000km on an XO1 cassette. Third XX1 chain for the bike. 

Cost/km of the SRAM cassettes is slightly better than the Shimano IME.

The Shimano cassette does shift more softly up and down which is nice

Yeah. The Sram is quite temperamental. Been finding my downshifts battling mid way down cassette. Thought it's time to replace but after playing with B screw it seems better - thats at home. Will try trail on Thursday. (Used Sram measuring tool but itd not exact. Also changed cable inner and housings)

2 minutes ago, TheoG said:

I have a brand new extra XT 12sp shifter if you interested, we can do half RRP.

Thanks Theo. If I go ahead I'll reach out...

I think I need to replace/upgrade the hanger bolt....last time I had it off the little wavy washer wax s bit toasted. I believe the XX1 bolt might fit better...

1 hour ago, love2fly said:

Yeah. The Sram is quite temperamental. Been finding my downshifts battling mid way down cassette. Thought it's time to replace but after playing with B screw it seems better - thats at home. Will try trail on Thursday. (Used Sram measuring tool but itd not exact. Also changed cable inner and housings)

I have had GX on two bikes .... "temperamental" certainly is the most apt description ever.

Two of the best bike workshops could not get it 100%.

All 4 bikes currently using 1x11 Shimano, combination of XT and SLX components.

Set it once, and it just works.

Only one downside .... I miss the derailure lock-pin of the sram for removing the rear wheel.

Servicing the Shimano clutch is easy and I dont mind this.  Others have complained about this.

Yes the lock pin is very handy. Sram likes to get fine tuned from time to time. 

My Shimano (roadbike admittedly) and Sram 9 x 3 on previous mtb bikes never skipped a beat.

Just now, love2fly said:

Yes the lock pin is very handy. Sram likes to get fine tuned from time to time. 

My Shimano (roadbike admittedly) and Sram 9 x 3 on previous mtb bikes never skipped a beat.

A regular service (fine tune) is fine.

But starting on a good setup, then tweaking the barrel over the next 20km ..... perfect mid ride .... then towards the end undoing the mornings settings on the barrel adjuster ..... "temperamental" ....