Race to the sun 2022

Grant Prince

8 hours ago, TyronLab said:

As far as organization goes, this was top notch. Everything was on time, clearly marked, well thought out and really accommodating. Water points were a big highlight with lots of variety, stock and friendly faces. Props to the organizers.

Got in at 6h39, but went out way too hard in the first half (got to the halfway point in 2h40 with an average HR of 170BPM, or 1BPM below my threshold). My well-trained buddy and I got into a group that was really moving, and I worked hard to stick with them and do my turns up front.

After 100km I started cramping up, I think purely from over exertion, so from then on I was nursing cramping legs to the end. Stopped quite a few times to help people with mechanicals. 

Off topic, but yesterday confirmed my new mindset 110%. Unless something is going to be an experience, and everyone I'm riding with sees it as such, I'll most likely not enter another event again or in a team. Yesterday was exercise. I remember very little of the scenery, of the route, of the experience. I just remember working hard, thinking about when my turn is coming up, about how far we have left and the target time...

I ride bikes to have fun, and my definition of fun is getting to experience new things, feeling a sense of camaraderie, soaking in as much of whatever I'm doing as I can and having an adventure. It definitely isn't chasing some fictitious and self-instilled goal time which I realise I could not give less of a **** about as it makes zero difference to my or anyone else's life. It all seems to be very capitalist. Concerned with MORE and BETTER which never has an endgame (unless you're in the 0.01% that actually could be the best) rather than just being present in the moment.

Totally agree. On first Sani2C we rode top 100 each day (was on trail though not race, I am and probably will always be bufallo class.). As you say cant remember much of scenery. Got so caught up in getting a good time that you forget to enjoy it. I never once stopped to take a photo or even just to appreciate the scenery. At water points just get what you need and race off again, 

On my third and last sani my time was probably 1-2 hours slower each day (compared to first). Day 2 was almost 9 hours. Stopping at water points or at the top of hills just added to have an easier ride and give you time to chat with buddies and just enjoy it.  That is much better for me than sowing everyone at home where your name is on the ranking board.

PS,. Thanks for stopping to help others with problems. People willing to help is something I always appreciate of MTB'ing.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, TyronLab said:

As far as organization goes, this was top notch. Everything was on time, clearly marked, well thought out and really accommodating. Water points were a big highlight with lots of variety, stock and friendly faces. Props to the organizers.

Got in at 6h39, but went out way too hard in the first half (got to the halfway point in 2h40 with an average HR of 170BPM, or 1BPM below my threshold). My well-trained buddy and I got into a group that was really moving, and I worked hard to stick with them and do my turns up front.

After 100km I started cramping up, I think purely from over exertion, so from then on I was nursing cramping legs to the end. Stopped quite a few times to help people with mechanicals. 

Off topic, but yesterday confirmed my new mindset 110%. Unless something is going to be an experience, and everyone I'm riding with sees it as such, I'll most likely not enter another event again or in a team. Yesterday was exercise. I remember very little of the scenery, of the route, of the experience. I just remember working hard, thinking about when my turn is coming up, about how far we have left and the target time...

I ride bikes to have fun, and my definition of fun is getting to experience new things, feeling a sense of camaraderie, soaking in as much of whatever I'm doing as I can and having an adventure. It definitely isn't chasing some fictitious and self-instilled goal time which I realise I could not give less of a **** about as it makes zero difference to my or anyone else's life. It all seems to be very capitalist. Concerned with MORE and BETTER which never has an endgame (unless you're in the 0.01% that actually could be the best) rather than just being present in the moment.

I agree with your off topic comment, we enter these events to enjoy the day and then the horns come out and we end up at the finish bleeding through the eyes and not remembering much of the course. We chase the best finish time which is just a number on some arbitrary spreadsheet which only we will refer to in the future. 

I uploaded the route on my Garmin mainly to see how the navigation function worked, as i never used it before I also set my ave speed target and used mainly the "ahead" or "behind" screen - At WP1 i was 6:30 ahead, after i left i was 0:35 behind and ended at WP2 0:45 ahead. My partner who is much stronger than me did a similar target for the 2nd part of the relay and ended 2:45 behind at the end we were going for sub 7 hrs and ended on 7hrs 02min. I think if we did the full distance we would have set a target time of 9 hrs and focused more on enjoying the day. For me, the future discussions will always be about the lekka day out instead of the color of the medal you received.  

10 hours ago, TyronLab said:

Word for word this pretty much sums up my race. Group of 4 started hot, WP2 reached at 27,8km/h and 158bpm avg hr. Eventually told two mates they could go ahead on the uphill to the KOM cause I just got tired of going into the red just to hold a wheel. Finished in 6:46 and got the same bronze medal as them :)

I struggled to get the fuelling right and felt bad every time I ate in the second half.

For me after 1/2 way things got hectic. The first 1/2 I rode with a bunch which was easy not using to much energy also while doing some work in the front it did not feel like burning matches.

Stopped at the 1/2 way water point for a few minutes eating and topping up on the energy drinks. Got going and tried to maintain the pace of the first 1/2 but riding solo meant that I was going to burn a lot more matches. Most of the people riding just after 1/2 way was some single riders with one or two partner teams. Once we turned of the gravel road onto the jeep track with that loose sand was the last straw for me, energy was gone. Caught up with a few guys later and rode together but just as I thought that we will stay together to the finish they stopped at the 2nd last water point which meant riding solo again. Then it was a struggle to the finish with a sore a$$ and my feet was killing me.

Was my first attempt and will be back next year again.

Was my first one and I really enjoyed it. First half was flat and fast and a sub 6 looked like a possibility at one stage. I started cramping at around 100km and had some stomach issues, which I suspect was due to my nutrition, too many gels / bars and not enough food. Realised at about 120km that sub 6 was no longer a possibility and decided to take it a bit easier. Finished in 6:22 and really happy with it, will definitely be back next year.  

Looked like a really well organised event! 
Will have to try get some more miles in to sit in the saddle for 6 hours.
Well done to all who entered and completed.

Loved this year's race. Although it was tougher Conditions than last year, managed to get my silver with 2 minutes to spare  .

Well organized event  . Looking forward to complete it next year again with my brother this time    

Wind made it hard on the legs and body  , but again this is why we cycle ,because we love it. 

Yep we're not crazy