Block Periodisation

BassoBoy

Hi

I'm pretty sure there isn't a thread on this but anyway to get to the point. So obviously most people are familiar with the concept of block periodisation but if you're not a period of 4 weeks of training where the first week is usually around 5 HIIT sessions and the following three weeks is essentially easy with 1 HIIT session. So basically a stage race and then three weeks of 

(Here's a link to one of several Dylan Johnson's block periodisation. He goes into extensive detail about it and studies to back it)

My question is: "Have you given it a go and if you have how much of an improvement percentage wise have you seen to your numbers?'

(just trying to gauge percentage range of progress from it and hear some experiences of people who make use of it)

Currently in the first recovery week of the first time trying block periodisation.
I did 7 HIIT sessions over 8 days. Last two days were long rides with threshold long climbs. Could only hit low zone 4, but still in zone so I count the overload week as successful. The fatigue build-up was massive. I took a big nap Sunday and slept well that night and still felt flat yesterday. Feeling better today, but legs are still sore. Can't answer the rest of your questions just yet. My main goal however was not to get some metric up, but rather to get stage race ready for Tour du Cap. Don't know if there will be an opportunity to test numbers...

Yeah it works well but it depends.....

If you have a short term goal, great go for it.

for longer term goals it becomes a bit challenging especially if you're throwing races into the mix. Acute training load management will be a skill you need to master.

You also need to be a fairly well trained athlete to lower the risk of injury. It's not a training method suitable to newbies who don't know what or why they're doing it.

2 hours ago, BassoBoy said:

Hi

I'm pretty sure there isn't a thread on this but anyway to get to the point. So obviously most people are familiar with the concept of block periodisation but if you're not a period of 4 weeks of training where the first week is usually around 5 HIIT sessions and the following three weeks is essentially easy with 1 HIIT session. So basically a stage race and then three weeks of 

(Here's a link to one of several Dylan Johnson's block periodisation. He goes into extensive detail about it and studies to back it)

My question is: "Have you given it a go and if you have how much of an improvement percentage wise have you seen to your numbers?'

(just trying to gauge percentage range of progress from it and hear some experiences of people who make use of it)

I wouldn't say that riding to Durban from JHB (for the Amashova) would qualify as block periodisation, but I can say that it is a hard week 1 for 4 HIT rides back to back. That is followed by 3 easier weeks, with at least 5-6 HIT sessions. 947 would be the race at the end of the 4th week.

It hasn't worked for me, and have had my worst performances at the 947 - felt very lethargic each time.
In the years I never did the Durban Tour, I did perform a little better; felt fresher.

Not sure if it helps your ""study".

9 minutes ago, Frosty said:

it is a hard week 1 for 4 HIT rides back to back. That is followed by 3 easier weeks, with at least 5-6 HIT sessions.

Too much HIIT in the easy weeks, and maybe even not enough during the load week?

I would also say that 5-6 HIT sessions in the 3 easy weeks is way too much. These weeks should be mainly zone 2 rides with slight progressive overload and 1 HIT training session per week. I have been following an 80/20 training regime over the last 8 weeks and I have seen great gains even though I had a week off due to being sick. 

1 hour ago, bleedToWin said:

Too much HIIT in the easy weeks, and maybe even not enough during the load week?

Yeah, wasn’t meant to be block periodisation. Just worked out that way. The load week had plenty, but not structured.

looking back, 2019 was too much running (2 half marathons in between the load week and the final week).

2018 was the year I did the 365 challenge. Minimum of 30mins every day. Not a lot of HIT in those three weeks, but enough daily fatigue accumulation through the year to make it hard in the final week’s race.

2016 was a good one, even though I did get dropped from VC about 3/4 or the race. Was my 3rd best result in that event. So I’d be inclined to say it might work if structured.