Giro D'Italia 2024: Chirps, Buzz and Updates

'Dale

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope Biniam is able to start today's stage 11, just to see how the buzz & confidence will show through the Intermarche team and lead-out train. But then again it won't be a total loss, if he sits this stage out to let eye recover some more.

https://www.eurosport.com/cycling/giro-d-italia/2022/biniam-girmay-taken-to-hospital-after-popping-champagne-cork-in-his-eye-after-historic-giro-ditalia-_sto8928697/story.shtml

I have been watching the opening of the Champagne / Prosecco Magnums daily…

they ALL seem to arrive ‘pre-shaken’, and I am serious about this, since they simply pop the cork and the champagne POURS forth, without being shaken by the rider; IIRC Biniam was hit in the eye by the cork WHILST THE BOTTLE WAS STILL GROUNDED?

I get that he fiddled with the cork, but seems all the bottles are vigorously pre-shaken, and he failed to lift the bottle and point it away…?

Curious, is all

Chris

This Girmay guy has been such a revelation since his first win he was always in the good moves, you could only see him. Kudos to him and his team for their scouting skills !

15 minutes ago, Zebra said:

I have been watching the opening of the Champagne / Prosecco Magnums daily…

they ALL seem to arrive ‘pre-shaken’, and I am serious about this, since they simply pop the cork and the champagne POURS forth, without being shaken by the rider; IIRC Biniam was hit in the eye by the cork WHILST THE BOTTLE WAS STILL GROUNDED?

I get that he fiddled with the cork, but seems all the bottles are vigorously pre-shaken, and he failed to lift the bottle and point it away…?

Curious, is all

Chris

Doesn't look great. I hope he starts today

MVDP also took a body shot from the bottle

15 minutes ago, Meezo said:

uci gonna ban popping bottles

Not a promising look to start. I thought it was a joke when I read he got hit in the eye, but it's not funny anymore. 

Man they need to give cyclists smaller bottles of Prosecco for the podium.

They are mos little guys, and are so knackered from the race that they can’t even lift the bottle off of the floor. 

The Italian ophthalmologist said that this is a common injury and if she gets called out over the holidays this is usually the cause 😂

Intermarche are a lekker team. We're going to be seeing a lot of them and they definitely punch above their weight... And besides Biniam, they have Taco too. honestly, what's not to like?

As for Pozzivivo, that was the unlikeliest of unlikely leadouts we'll ever see. Girmay won, and so did cycling.

35 minutes ago, lechatnoir said:

Intermarche are a lekker team. We're going to be seeing a lot of them and they definitely punch above their weight... And besides Biniam, they have Taco too. honestly, what's not to like?

As for Pozzivivo, that was the unlikeliest of unlikely leadouts we'll ever see. Girmay won, and so did cycling.

A billion Bells to you sir.

I hope Intermarche gave Girmay a faaaaat increase on the resign - he has almost single handedly converted an alsoran team into the darling of the peleton.

Official statement and decision to be released at the start today apparently.

The ophthalmologist will assess just before the start. Her report says no permanent damage and all 'should' be ok but his vision may be impaired for a few days. 

So they will check that before the start and make a call.

Well that's what I read in an interview with her.