Giro D'Italia 2024: Chirps, Buzz and Updates

'Dale

14 minutes ago, NickGM said:

https://www.gazzetta.it/Giroditalia/18-05-2022/girmay-ritira-giro-tappo-spumante-440559274899.shtml

If this article and google translate are to be believed, that's the end of Bini's tour. Given that the article also says he beat "Jesi Van Der Poel" then maybe the jury is still out.

Jesi was the town they finished in. Me thinks they added Jesi by mistake when it says “beating Jesi Van der Poel at the end of a breathtaking sprint”.

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great win for Africa but... did MvdP get told to sit up through his earpiece? In the overhead he seemed to be closing then suddenly checks his pace... I'm just asking? 😇

MvdP had a bike change, and has no power data showing after that change. Seems to beat him, the sprint needs to be a long one.

His Strava file also shows this title:4CB541C6-196D-410B-8B0B-BFC6173A48C7.png.67466f4d5c848c132b5b04e753d5fc27.png28B3E881-5198-4672-8F84-E67C9EDE344D.jpeg.f6344c41f2a8511848a14953fb47d5df.jpeg

Am not an expert on HR readings, but 1st stage MvdP maxed at 201rpm on the uphill sprint to edge Girmay.

On yesterday's stage 10, he maxed at 205rpm. These are incredible numbers!

Screenshot_20220518_095850.jpg.d9f72a6aae65af800706c36a32c2a2da.jpgScreenshot_20220518_100118.jpg.eec5f13fcbe13d78324f93720bb8db70.jpg

That average HR is low.

wonder what his resting HR is; giving him a large HR reserve (maxHR - restHR). 

50 minutes ago, Frosty said:

That average HR is low.

wonder what his resting HR is; giving him a large HR reserve (maxHR - restHR). 

they had his Whoop data on yesterday and seems it's ~37... i can't help but think that riding CX for most of his life has taught his body to recover really fast, though does one actually recover during a CX race? I can't be certain as I reach my VO2max just watching it...

Just now, lechatnoir said:

they had his Whoop data on yesterday and seems it's ~37... i can't help but think that riding CX for most of his life has taught his body to recover really fast, though does one actually recover during a CX race? I can't be certain as I reach my VO2max just watching it...

205 - 37 = 168 (that's a big range).
His AeT must be extremely high.

Based on Joe Friel's article on this, and other terms, AeT is about 70% of maxHR.
https://joefrieltraining.com/common-but-confusing-training-terms/

Stephen Seiler refers to 75% of maxHR as true LIT
https://twitter.com/StephenSeiler/status/1076474694621192192/photo/1

Using the above, which is for an average amongst the population, and not the extremes (Elites to the far right), that puts MvdP at 143.5bpm for his estimated Aerobic Threshold (AeT).

His average HR yesterday was 112bpm, so stage 10 was effectively a LIT ride with some interval work nearer the pointy end (about 7 pointy bits looking at the Hr graph posted above).

Truly amazing watching the best compete.

In Eritrean culture: unlike in Western tradition where the surname is the last name, Girmay is his father’s name and father will have his father’s name as him last name. 
IWG at Tour de France? Could that be Bini’s TdF debut in his first year as a PRO at the age of 21?

52 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

In Eritrean culture: unlike in Western tradition where the surname is the last name, Girmay is his father’s name and father will have his father’s name as him last name. 
IWG at Tour de France? Could that be Bini’s TdF debut in his first year as a PRO at the age of 21?

IWG page says they bought CCCs WT license, so yes... at the tour. letour site confirms. And not just Biniam, but Taco too... that's a nice 1-2 punch

also, he's 22... just

5 hours ago, BuffsVintageBikes said:

Great win for Africa but... did MvdP get told to sit up through his earpiece? In the overhead he seemed to be closing then suddenly checks his pace... I'm just asking? 😇

I didn't want to take the shine off a remarkable rider and a remarkable win but since you've bravely pulled off the band aid, it looked to my untrained and highly unqualified eye the MVDP who always gives it his all, didn't

before drawing your swords, please take it from whence it came, a middle aged, unskinny, armchair non expert with absolutely no scientific proof

4 hours ago, ZamaK said:

Am not an expert on HR readings, but 1st stage MvdP maxed at 201rpm on the uphill sprint to edge Girmay.

On yesterday's stage 10, he maxed at 205rpm. These are incredible numbers!

Screenshot_20220518_095850.jpg.d9f72a6aae65af800706c36a32c2a2da.jpgScreenshot_20220518_100118.jpg.eec5f13fcbe13d78324f93720bb8db70.jpg

herein disproving my theory of him giving up the win

3 minutes ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

I didn't want to take the shine off a remarkable rider and a remarkable win but since you've bravely pulled off the band aid, it looked to my untrained and highly unqualified eye the MVDP who always gives it his all, didn't

before drawing your swords, please take it from whence it came, a middle aged, unskinny, armchair non expert with absolutely no scientific proof

i doubt MVDP sat up and let the win go. he's done it before where it seems his legs just go 'nuh uh' and he pack it in - he did in Vlaanders last year with Asgreen. I reckon if he gave up the win, his team would flay him alive

1 minute ago, lechatnoir said:

i doubt MVDP sat up and let the win go. he's done it before where it seems his legs just go 'nuh uh' and he pack it in - he did in Vlaanders last year with Asgreen. I reckon if he gave up the win, his team would flay him alive

plus the data further down the thread showed he laid down the kind of effort I do when I see a puff adder

1 hour ago, 'Dale said:

30 minutes ago, lechatnoir said:

IWG page says they bought CCCs WT license, so yes... at the tour. letour site confirms. And not just Biniam, but Taco too... that's a nice 1-2 punch

also, he's 22... just

Silver lining from all the drama of the damage to his eye: He can go recover and build up again to be in peak form for Le Tour... giving the other puncheur-sprinters a hard time on the biggest cycling platform there is. :)