Winelands Regional Board - 9 ride areas on one bike board

Karakoram

I attended the launch of the re-branding of the Wannabees Cycling club in Somerset West, now known as the Winelands Cycling Club. Significantly, the event also included the launch of a regional permit allowing access to 9 ride areas, namely: 

• Winelands Cycling Club Trails (Old Wannabee Trails) 
  • A to Z Grabouw
  • Helderberg Trails 
  • Stellenbosch Trail Fund Trails
  • MTO Jonkershoek
  • Banhoek Conservancy
  • Franschhoek trails 
  • Paarl trails 
  • Wellington: wild boar and scouts

Sounds like other ride-areas in the greater winelands district are also keen to participate (2023).

winelands_board.png.a4a08c21cbab92a79524396893321f57.png

The cost of the Winelands Regional Permit is:

Adult                           R 1500-00

Senior (> 65 years)     R 1250-00

Youth (<18 years>      R 1250-00

Each of the local trail networks will retain and sell their own local membership / permit offers for those that only want to ride a local network.  

The regional permits will attract riders from all over the winelands region, which requires that the boards must be available for collection at collection points closer to a rider's home-base. The participating ride areas have set up a variety of collection point for the regional boards. No need to ride all the way to Somerset West to collect your board from elsewhere. Riders will be able to select a preferred collection point whilst completing an on-line registration and payment. 

The new Winelands Cycling Club website is available at the following URL: https://www.winelandscyclingclub.co.za/

Edited by Karakoram
correction

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There has already been a "Winelands" trail pass this year which included Banhoek, Franschhoek, Paarl and Wellington. Great that they've expanded the network.

I prefer not to have my money go to STB trail fund or wannabees.  I`l be sticking to the jonker famaly pass and helderbeg.

I like the idea of supporting the trails i use and enjoy

Edited by phenning

30 minutes ago, phenning said:

I refuse to have my money go to STB trail fund or wannabees.  I`l be sticking to the jonker famaly pass and helderbeg.

Care to elaborate? ????

37 minutes ago, mikkelz said:

Care to elaborate? ????

Comes down to the quality and type of trails they produce, wanabees trails are mainly dirt roads through farms and the trail fund have dumbed down trails in Ededn and surrounds,  have men sweeping the  forest floor with brooms and burming every turn.

42 minutes ago, milky4130 said:

As a matter on interest what does this cost?

Jonkers family pass for 4pl is now R1300.

I can see that for current wannabee members its attractive, it opens a lot more riding  venues for the same price as the combined wannabee and helderberg permit cost.

Edited by phenning

I like this! 

But Tygerberg and Tokai not included? Would be awesome to have one pass which covers all the trails in the greater Cape Town area. 

Tygerberg has a special on at the moment where you can get full membership for the club and a 50% reduction on the Winelands LOCAL board which means you get two boards for around R1500.00 or thereabouts. Final prices still to be confirmed.

image.png.32c5180b6e2f8c1f7e2222f9eab3682a.png

1 minute ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Tygerberg has a special on at the moment where you can get full membership for the club and a 50% reduction on the Winelands LOCAL board which means you get two boards for around R1500.00 or thereabouts. Final prices still to be confirmed.

image.png.32c5180b6e2f8c1f7e2222f9eab3682a.png

Final price has been confirmed. A Tygerberg adult membership is R950.

Just now, HenryS said:

Final price has been confirmed. A Tygerberg adult membership is R950.

Thanks. I just saw that now too.

So then it is R1500 for the 2 boards. Not a bad deal considering I ride Banhoek and Plaisir often enough as well. I reckon I'd get value for my money this way.

From the TMTBC news letter received this morning:

For 2022, exclusive to TMTBC Members, you can do a “top up” on your TMTBC membership, and take out a Winelands LOCAL membership, reduced by 50 %. This will give you full access to all the various trails and routes, included in their LOCAL Membership :

- Paarl (Specialized Trail Zone, Rhebokskloof, Spice Route, Diamant Estate, Laborie, Paarl Reserve)
- Banhoek (Plaisir De Merle, Old Bethlehem, Boschendal, Bartinney)
- Wellington (Wild Boar Trails, Scouts) - note, these trails are excluded from the normal TMTBC membership from 2022.
- Franschhoek Wine Valley Trails (Berg River Dam)