Winelands Regional Board - 9 ride areas on one bike board

Karakoram

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wish I could find the time to go ride that side often enough to make it worth ! Unfortunately in the last 3 years I think I went to jonkershoek 3 times, g spot 3 or 4 times, banhoek once, boschendal once… I haven’t even ridden tygerberg much lately either now that we can’t really cycle to the trails anymore… will still take the family pass for Tygerberg though, if I come to regret not taking the winelands pass that’s good news, means I’m finding time to enjoy the awesome trails over there !

18 minutes ago, Grease_Monkey said:

Had the wrong info when I replied to your message. Wish there was a way to delete a post rather than just editing. 

no worries - for once I missed a post ????

no harm, no foul

4 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Wish I could find the time to go ride that side often enough to make it worth ! Unfortunately in the last 3 years I think I went to jonkershoek 3 times, g spot 3 or 4 times, banhoek once, boschendal once… I haven’t even ridden tygerberg much lately either now that we can’t really cycle to the trails anymore… will still take the family pass for Tygerberg though, if I come to regret not taking the winelands pass that’s good news, means I’m finding time to enjoy the awesome trails over there !

I did the maffs yesterday and noticed that had I added up all the times I rode Tygerberg, Jonkers, Banhoek and Plaisir this year up to the day I broke my leg I have spent more on trail access (which includes the annual fee for Tygerberg) than the R1500 for both Tygerberg and Winelands next year.

To me its a no-brainer. Thanks to both clubs for this benefit. I intend to make full use of it.

Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread, but I'm looking for some technical trails to try this December.

Plaisir and Rhebokskloof are my default rides this side, where can I find similar or more technical trails?

Tygerberg? Jonkers? Banhoek?

14 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I did the maffs yesterday and noticed that had I added up all the times I rode Tygerberg, Jonkers, Banhoek and Plaisir this year up to the day I broke my leg I have spent more on trail access (which includes the annual fee for Tygerberg) than the R1500 for both Tygerberg and Winelands next year.

To me its a no-brainer. Thanks to both clubs for this benefit. I intend to make full use of it.

Just note that it does not include Jonkershoek.

In other news, the Tulbagh trails are now included as part of the standard membership.

Just now, Trashy said:

Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread, but I'm looking for some technical trails to try this December.

Plaisir and Rhebokskloof are my default rides this side, where can I find similar or more technical trails?

Jonkershoek - probably the most technical, if your not going to Table Mountain.

Contermanskloof - has a nice mix of fairly technical and not so technical.

Bloemendal - The XCO track (believe its called Veer Factor now) is sweet. The new flow line is lekker, although I wouldn't say it's technical.

Coetzenburg? - I haven't ridden there this year, but it used to have a few nice technical features.

Just now, HenryS said:

Just note that it does not include Jonkershoek.

In other news, the Tulbagh trails are now included as part of the standard membership.

I noticed that, yes. But my point was more towards the fact that even as a Tygerberg member there is enough that side of the world to make me visit at least once a month. I have to say I really enjoy the variety of trails on offer, and with the board now opening up even more trails around Paarl etc. I would say this is a awesome time to be a Cape Town based mountain biker. We truly are spoilt for choice.

And its also as if the trail builders are starting to outdo one another on the quality side of what's on offer.

19 minutes ago, Trashy said:

Living that side of the world and you mention Jonkers and Banhoek as seemingly unridden?

(insert comic sans font here) - what's wrong with you? ????

Jonkers has proper tech and jank - more so than Contermanskloof. Banhoek is just sublime. I have to say, although its by no means what I would call technical (it has its moments), but just in terms of pure fun and flow, to me it rates high up on the chart of top trails in the Cape.

If you're after variety, Tygerberg is a worthy destination for a change of scenery. Contermans / Hoogekraal are about the comparative trails to Rhebokskloof. If you want more tech, Conters has some, but Jonkers is the top of pile for that. There you can ride Armageddon, Red Phoenix and Fire Hut which is a notch up from what you're used to. Plumber and Iron Monkey are another notch up from them and finally you have Status Quo which is something I watch others ride on YouTube seeing as I have reached the point where my responsible side says I need to pay the bills come month end, and that trail puts the ability to do that at risk.

I did the maths and something does not add up.

Tygerberg mentions that you get the Winelands local membership at 50% off. then continues to say it costs R550.  But on the Winelands site, the local membership costs R750, so 50% off should be R375, not R550. Mmmmm 

22 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Living that side of the world and you mention Jonkers and Banhoek as seemingly unridden?

(insert comic sans font here) - what's wrong with you? ????

Jonkers has proper tech and jank - more so than Contermanskloof. Banhoek is just sublime. I have to say, although its by no means what I would call technical (it has its moments), but just in terms of pure fun and flow, to me it rates high up on the chart of top trails in the Cape.

If you're after variety, Tygerberg is a worthy destination for a change of scenery. Contermans / Hoogekraal are about the comparative trails to Rhebokskloof. If you want more tech, Conters has some, but Jonkers is the top of pile for that. There you can ride Armageddon, Red Phoenix and Fire Hut which is a notch up from what you're used to. Plumber and Iron Monkey are another notch up from them and finally you have Status Quo which is something I watch others ride on YouTube seeing as I have reached the point where my responsible side says I need to pay the bills come month end, and that trail puts the ability to do that at risk.

It is shameful, I know.

Unfortunately, due to work and family commitments, I am restricted to weekday rides that I can fit around my work schedule.

This means I seldom have time to drive further than the immediately surrounding trails.

Looking to change that though, so your feedback as well as Rock Guy's has fueled my desire to get to Banhoek and Jonkers.

3 minutes ago, Menno Schagen said:

I did the maths and something does not add up.

Tygerberg mentions that you get the Winelands local membership at 50% off. then continues to say it costs R550.  But on the Winelands site, the local membership costs R750, so 50% off should be R375, not R550. Mmmmm 

Not sure where you saw that. If you go to the Winelands website, an adult membership is R1000 for the year.

They did reduce it to R750 from about July, but that was a half year discount.

22 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Tygerberg has a special on at the moment where you can get full membership for the club and a 50% reduction on the Winelands LOCAL board which means you get two boards for around R1500.00 or thereabouts. Final prices still to be confirmed.

image.png.32c5180b6e2f8c1f7e2222f9eab3682a.png

Hopefully Bottelary can make a similar deal to get Winelands discounted!

1 hour ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Ad this is the conundrum .....

Like JBR I have not used those trails in the past ..... but with this multi-board .....

VERY tempting ....

Now to figure out how many of these "new trails" are kids friendly .... do I take out this multi-board for both Maritz and I ?  He DID like G-Spot !  Parking spots?  Damn, now I feel like a newbie all over again .... 

3 minutes ago, JayLow said:

Hopefully Bottelary can make a similar deal to get Winelands discounted!

THIS I would go for.

I actually live closer to Bottelary than Tygerberg trails.