Winelands Regional Board - 9 ride areas on one bike board

Karakoram

7 minutes ago, The Captain said:

Afternoon - sorry if I missed some answers here already.  The discounted rate (R550) we negotiated for our club members and available as a "top up" to their normal TMTBC membership, are for the Winelands LOCAL permit for 2022, which will have a normal price for non TMTBC members of R1000.   

https://winelandstrails.com/shop/annual-permits/adult-membership/

Screenshot_20211124-184402_Chrome.jpg

Would be nice if Nicky could confirm the kids rates as well in the next email.

The list in HenriS post might be handy to some club members. (Or some of it...)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Would be nice if Nicky could confirm the kids rates as well in the next email.

The list in HenriS post might be handy to some club members. (Or some of it...)

The Agreement reached was only for the adult memberships @ R550, for the Winelands LOCAL permit, and as such the only one available to our (TMTBC) members - this membership can be used by adults and kids alike (if you want to do the order via TMTBC).

One would of course be able to buy a kids membership directly with / from Winelands Trails, which will be R400. Note this will be a membership (kids) directly with Winelands Trails and you will liaise / order directly with them herein, and arrange to collect directly from them. 

Edited by The Captain

1 minute ago, The Captain said:

The Agreement reached was only for the adult memberships @ R550, for the Winelands LOCAL permit, and as such the only one available to our (TMTBC) members.

One would of course be able to buy a kids membership directly with / from Winelands Trails, which will be R400. Note this will be a membership (kids) directly with Winelands Trails and you will liaise / order directly with them herein, and arrange to collect directly from them. 

Thank you for all the hard work in putting this together.

6 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Had to go look .... 2017 we had our year end function at Rheeboksloof.  Couple of us went earlier, had a lekka ride, a shower and then the work function.

Maritz was 6 years old then, and ENJOYED the short route.  If memory serves me right we did two loops of it.

Rhebok-16.jpg.c4287086cc2c7d644650c6cc9cc22535.jpg

Rhebok-21.jpg.a0bf129ff511ce2ee56e1fb1a020f88c.jpg

Safe parking, a nice restaurant for the Boss to relax while we ride .... 

I rode there in 2019 and there were showers then too . . . which is a HUGE win for me driving all the way from Sunningdale. I do not enjoy driving home all sweaty. There are some stonker climbs at Rhebokskloof and the trail (then) was very fun and nothing over the top techy. Maritz being a spritely 10 y.o. now, or there abouts, should have no issue if you don't stonk it up the hills striking matches. 

Come to think of it I am just talking myself into a ride there again once my ankle is over its drama...

The view from the top is worth the effort and quite rewarding.

Edited by Robbie Stewart

As a TMTBC member - if they can add the following 2 things my mtb life would be perfect

- Add Bottelary to the top up option (I assume politics preventing this for now ????)

- Implement one day pass for all the Tygerberg trails - the current pay for each farm separately & member-only corridors makes it an absolute pain to invite friends from outside the area to do a proper ride.

If Bottelary hills and muratie can be added i am fully sold! take my money. I bet it will be the same for all the guys living in stellies/brackenfell/kuilsrivier.

Edited by varkie2

• 4 weeks later...

Newbie question: I am interested in the regional pass for 2022

Do I first have to be a club member (previously called Wannabees) before I can purchase the pass? I am unable to register on the site and you are required to login before you can purchase the pass.

27 minutes ago, vanniri said:

Newbie question: I am interested in the regional pass for 2022

Do I first have to be a club member (previously called Wannabees) before I can purchase the pass? I am unable to register on the site and you are required to login before you can purchase the pass.

You don't need to logon first. You register an account after you click on Checkout

https://wcc.alumnet.co.za/Shop

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/18/2021 at 10:06 AM, phenning said:

I prefer not to have my money go to STB trail fund or wannabees.  I`l be sticking to the jonker famaly pass and helderbeg.

I like the idea of supporting the trails i use and enjoy

You obviously either live under a rock or you have no idea the extent to which Stellenbosch Trail Fund contribute towards creating routes for cyclists, hikers, joggers etc and the value it adds in vagrants finding other places to camp.

On 11/18/2021 at 11:37 AM, phenning said:

Comes down to the quality and type of trails they produce, wanabees trails are mainly dirt roads through farms and the trail fund have dumbed down trails in Ededn and surrounds,  have men sweeping the  forest floor with brooms and burming every turn.

You're missing the point - it's not about you and the types of trails you like to ride.

Trail building creates jobs, it creates cycling/hiking/jogging awareness and it creates a nicer outdoor space which increases the safety of that area and keeps unwanted dodgy characters out.

18 hours ago, M L said:

You obviously either live under a rock or you have no idea the extent to which Stellenbosch Trail Fund contribute towards creating routes for cyclists, hikers, joggers etc and the value it adds in vagrants finding other places to camp.

Au contraire. 

18 hours ago, M L said:

You're missing the point - it's not about you and the types of trails you like to ride.

Trail building creates jobs, it creates cycling/hiking/jogging awareness and it creates a nicer outdoor space which increases the safety of that area and keeps unwanted dodgy characters out.

You are missing phenning's point. Or just dismissing it. 

He is choosing with his wallet and putting money where he sees it adding value. You are trying to impose what you find value in, on someone who really doesn't care about what's important to you. When it comes to HIM paying HIS money, it is about him and the trails he wants to ride. 

The trails in Eden was better 10 years ago, flip, it was better 15 years ago. And it was a better outdoor space then too. STF has just formalised what has always been there (not a bad thing) and dumbed down the trails to a lower common denominator ito skills (definitely a bad thing.) They haven't added any new trails in Eden. Just built subpar berms and jumps where it wasn't necessary. They have built a bit of trail next to the river, but if (like phhenning) you don't live in Stellenbosch, so it's much of a muchness. 

I am a Winelands Regional member, but I would have joined anyway if the STF wasn't part of it. Getting Wannabees, Helderberg, Paarl, Franschoek and Wellington on one plate is 👌

Edited by PhilipV

43 minutes ago, PhilipV said:

Au contraire. 

You are missing phenning's point. Or just dismissing it. 

He is choosing with his wallet and putting money where he sees it adding value. You are trying to impose what you find value in, on someone who really doesn't care about what's important to you. When it comes to HIM paying HIS money, it is about him and the trails he wants to ride. 

The trails in Eden was better 10 years ago, flip, it was better 15 years ago. And it was a better outdoor space then too. STF has just formalised what has always been there (not a bad thing) and dumbed down the trails to a lower common denominator ito skills (definitely a bad thing.) They haven't added any new trails in Eden. Just built subpar berms and jumps where it wasn't necessary. They have built a bit of trail next to the river, but if (like phhenning) you don't live in Stellenbosch, so it's much of a muchness. 

I am a Winelands Regional member, but I would have joined anyway if the STF wasn't part of it. Getting Wannabees, Helderberg, Paarl, Franschoek and Wellington on one plate is 👌

It's all about us yes. Please don't impose anything on anyone - we should all be free to choose whatever we want. Especially if it is our money.

This is basically everything that's wrong with society. We've come to believe the lie that it's all about me.

I live in Stellenbosch and when I came back from riding the W2W, I rode through Eden, Paradyskloof and Gspot and realised just how privileged we are to have some of the best mountain biking trails in the country. 

The team from STF, who works on donations btw, work endlessly to maintain trails and a general outdoor routes and areas for everyone. Not just mountain bikers. They've managed to make Konoliesland safe again and they've managed to dramatically improve the safety of Botmaskop.

It's a fantastic organisation that does more for mountain biking and general outdoor activities than I could ever do. And using their trails doesn't cost a cent. 

27 minutes ago, M L said:

It's all about us yes. Please don't impose anything on anyone - we should all be free to choose whatever we want. Especially if it is our money.

This is basically everything that's wrong with society. We've come to believe the lie that it's all about me.

I live in Stellenbosch and when I came back from riding the W2W, I rode through Eden, Paradyskloof and Gspot and realised just how privileged we are to have some of the best mountain biking trails in the country. 

The team from STF, who works on donations btw, work endlessly to maintain trails and a general outdoor routes and areas for everyone. Not just mountain bikers. They've managed to make Konoliesland safe again and they've managed to dramatically improve the safety of Botmaskop.

It's a fantastic organisation that does more for mountain biking and general outdoor activities than I could ever do. And using their trails doesn't cost a cent. 

You can't expect phhenning to contribute to STF because it's for the greater good of the community that he isn't a part of.  Especially if he doesn't agree with their modus operandi. 

You also obviously don't know him personally .  He has built up enough trail equity through drainage improvements, brush cutting and maintenance every winter. The type of guy who goes for a ride in the morning, and then hikes out in the afternoon with a spade and a saw to go fix the latest storm damage. 

But hey, he doesn't agree with you, so he is what's wrong with society. 

22 minutes ago, PhilipV said:

You can't expect phhenning to contribute to STF because it's for the greater good of the community that he isn't a part of.  Especially if he doesn't agree with their modus operandi. 

You also obviously don't know him personally .  He has built up enough trail equity through drainage improvements, brush cutting and maintenance every winter. The type of guy who goes for a ride in the morning, and then hikes out in the afternoon with a spade and a saw to go fix the latest storm damage. 

But hey, he doesn't agree with you, so he is what's wrong with society. 

I never said he doesn’t do his part but bad mouthing an organisation that does great work is not on. 

But I think the issue is that they only run on funding from outside and they cater for everyone not just mountain bikers. But that comes back to the point of if you don’t support them or give them your feedback and get the other side of the story then don’t bad mouth them on a public forum. And if you don’t ride their trails then I’m not sure why he commented at all. 

Edited by M L