Advice on what used MTB to buy

Jannie Louw

I'm 72 years old and I have a slight back problem. Chiropractor recommended that I keep active and has no problem with riding a MTB but suggest a dual suspension bike. I've seen very nice and well specced 26" L frame bikes in my price range and one of these is a Cannondale carbon frame with XT components throughout. R9000. I've been told by cyclist to rather go for a 29" bike, but they are a lot more expensive in dual suspension.  My budget is R10000 max. Do you think I should go for bike I mentioned or wait for something else in my price range. To date I haven't seen anything close. Advice would be welcome

Kind regards,

Jannie L

Hi Jannie, a 29” would be a better buy and Dual suspension would be better with your back,but if you intend to tar/gravel riding mostly,a 29” hard tail would be fine.

Theres nothing wrong with a 26er, unless you want to go fast, theres no reason to get a 29er
Would definitely go for a 26er

Hey Jannie, to me it is all about what the bike will be required to do. Let me explain quickly what my thoughts are: 

You're looking for a dual sus because of back issues and to keep active, you're not going to consider doing a bike park like Wolwe or any other extremely technical route. Also, you're not going to consider doing the Munga or C2T or 36One. Therefore all the benefits of a 29er is irrelevant because of your intended use. With that being said: I would go for a 26er dual sus. 

PS: I do have a few frames we could build up to get you sorted (not carbon but alu) 

The value you'll get on a 26er will far outweigh what you'll find in 29. Just make sure the frame is in good condition. If you could find something like a Morwood Zula in your size that would be a win. It's a great looking and functioning  bike compared to many of the older designs and is easy to maintain.

Considering your age, the intended use and your budget, a 26inch will do just fine. 

If you can find a 29inch duel suspension under R10k, it will likely be a piece of junk. You may, if course, find that once in a lifetime bargain, but everyone else is also looking for that. 

What you need to consider is size. An incorrect size bike may do your back more harm than good. 

Also, 26inch FS bikes are getting old. Numerous parts can be pretty worn. If you can take someone with who knows bikes and can check it out for you. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/24/2021 at 5:58 AM, ChrisF said:

Jannie a decent 26" will serve you well.

For a similar condition 29" the price far exceed your budget.

Thank you for your advice. I realised that I wouldn't get one at budget, so I upped the budget. Managed to get a 29" dual Giant Advanced carbon frame with XT components. For R19500. I think I did well. Bike is on its own

On 11/24/2021 at 6:02 AM, RobertWhitehead said:

Hey Jannie, to me it is all about what the bike will be required to do. Let me explain quickly what my thoughts are: 

You're looking for a dual sus because of back issues and to keep active, you're not going to consider doing a bike park like Wolwe or any other extremely technical route. Also, you're not going to consider doing the Munga or C2T or 36One. Therefore all the benefits of a 29er is irrelevant because of your intended use. With that being said: I would go for a 26er dual sus. 

PS: I do have a few frames we could build up to get you sorted (not carbon but alu) 

Thank you for your advice. I realised that I wouldn't get one at budget, so I upped the budget. Managed to get a 29" dual Giant Advanced carbon frame with XT components. For R19500. I think I did well. Bike is on its own

On 11/24/2021 at 6:52 AM, Eugene said:

Considering your age, the intended use and your budget, a 26inch will do just fine. 

If you can find a 29inch duel suspension under R10k, it will likely be a piece of junk. You may, if course, find that once in a lifetime bargain, but everyone else is also looking for that. 

What you need to consider is size. An incorrect size bike may do your back more harm than good. 

Also, 26inch FS bikes are getting old. Numerous parts can be pretty worn. If you can take someone with who knows bikes and can check it out for you. 

Thank you for your advice. I realised that I wouldn't get one at budget, so I upped the budget. Managed to get a 29" dual Giant Advanced carbon frame with XT components. For R19500. I think I did well. Bike is on its way.

On 11/24/2021 at 6:44 AM, Headshot said:

The value you'll get on a 26er will far outweigh what you'll find in 29. Just make sure the frame is in good condition. If you could find something like a Morwood Zula in your size that would be a win. It's a great looking and functioning  bike compared to many of the older designs and is easy to maintain.

Thank you for your advice. I realised that I wouldn't get one at budget, so I upped the budget. Managed to get a 29" dual Giant Advanced carbon frame with XT components. For R19500. I think I did well. Bike is on its own

On 11/24/2021 at 6:00 AM, AkwA said:

Theres nothing wrong with a 26er, unless you want to go fast, theres no reason to get a 29er
Would definitely go for a 26er

Thank you for your advice. I realised that I wouldn't get one at budget, so I upped the budget. Managed to get a 29" dual Giant Advanced carbon frame with XT components. For R19500. I think I did well. Bike is on its way

• 1 month later...