Wahoo Tickr not working

GRG

Fellow hubbers!

I bought a new Tickr less than a year ago, few months in and a few battery changes, it still is giving me irregular heart rate reading, or just failing to detect during a ride.

Before anyone asks, I do wet the strap etc before riding with it. I connect to a Garmin forerunner 735XT watch..

Anyone else have these issues? Below are some examples!

Cheers

Screenshot_20211124_121043_com.strava.jpg

Screenshot_20211124_121021_com.strava (1).jpg

Looks like there is a problem with the unit.

As it is less than a year old, it should be under warranty. 

Contact the Wahoo agents (iKhambi). My previous tickr was replaced under warranty and I received excellent service in the process.

17 minutes ago, gerriemtb said:

Contact the Wahoo agents (iKhambi). My previous tickr was replaced under warranty and I received excellent service in the process.

HI Gerrie, thanks, and no issues with the new one?

1 minute ago, GRG said:

HI Gerrie, thanks, and no issues with the new one?

No issues with the new one. The old unit started to act up when it was about 10/11 months old. 

The one I have now has been going strong for longer than a year without any issues. 

5 hours ago, gerriemtb said:

Hi GRG, you can also remove battery and insert backwards for 3 seconds and do a hard reset. Lastly you  can also connect through a wahoo device and perform a software update. 

I've had a terrible experience with Wahoo TICKRs. Had the original TICKR X. Worked for about a year then wouldnt pair. 

The new model just released, so bought a new TICKR (let's call this one TICKR#2). Lasted 3 months. It would just get stuck at 225 bpm from the get-go. iKhambi did a great job to replace it for me under warranty. Excellent service from them which can't be faulted. TICKR#3 then lasted about 4 months. Same thing as TICKR#2 happened. Took videos, did multiple tests, sent results back to iKhambi. Did all the usual troubleshooting steps again. Firmware upgrades. Battery upside down reset. No luck. So I had to smash TICKR#3 and they replaced it again. So now we're onto TICKR#4.

TICKR#4 lasted 3 months again. Issues again. Erratic readings. Get's stuck on a certain bpm. Was still under the original warranty, but by then I couldn't handle it anymore. 

Bought a Garmin HRM-Dual. Happy days ever since.

In summary, exceptional service from the importer/distributor (very very good), but a horrible product (or I'm just cursed).

Edited by AJB76
spelling

1 hour ago, AJB76 said:

I've had a terrible experience with Wahoo TICKRs. Had the original TICKR X. Worked for about a year then wouldnt pair. 

The new model just released, so bought a new TICKR (let's call this one TICKR#2). Lasted 3 months. It would just get stuck at 225 bpm from the get-go. iKhambi did a great job to replace it for me under warranty. Excellent service from them which can't be faulted. TICKR#3 then lasted about 4 months. Same thing as TICKR#2 happened. Took videos, did multiple tests, sent results back to iKhambi. Did all the usual troubleshooting steps again. Firmware upgrades. Battery upside down reset. No luck. So I had to smash TICKR#3 and they replaced it again. So now we're onto TICKR#4.

TICKR#4 lasted 3 months again. Issues again. Erratic readings. Get's stuck on a certain bpm. Was still under the original warranty, but by then I couldn't handle it anymore. 

Bought a Garmin HRM-Dual. Happy days ever since.

In summary, exceptional service from the importer/distributor (very very good), but a horrible product (or I'm just cursed).

Hi AJB76

Apart from actually going the warranty route, your story is similar to the struggles I have had. I am keen on juts getting the Garmin and moving on, haven't heard of such issues on their units.

1 hour ago, AJB76 said:

I've had a terrible experience with Wahoo TICKRs.........

THIS!!!

After numerous warranty and even out of warranty replacements (and smashing of units), the current Tickr 2 will be my last Wahoo product.  There is no use having a HR monitor you cannot trust (you must see the HR graphs!).   

It will be back to the new Garmin HRM if I ever have to again or just a Garmin with a OHRM in the future.

11 minutes ago, Jackes said:

(and smashing of units)

that was the only satisfying part about my experience with Wahoo TICKRs ????

Some of the CR 2032 batteries have a coating that makes them unpleasant for kids to put in their mouths.

This coating appears to mess with the working of the HRM.

My Tickr was completely unreliable until I changed to a cheap non-coated kid-unfriendly battery. Now it works perfectly.

Edited by Spirog
Spelling

Interesting replies. I count myself lucky then, as my tickr has been working without any issues for almost 3 years now. I have been using it with my elemnt bolt and ipad (zwift) without any stability or connection issues. It only dies when the battery is kaput, change of battery and all good again.

With which head units are the issues with?

• 2 weeks later...

Another example from this mornings' run.  It is normally a LOT worse when it is cold, but this was nothing but cold.

The wahoo tickr 2 strap paired with a forerunner 230, compared to my wife's forerunner 45 on the other wrist. 

cb35f64d-b3a3-47a9-8488-680ed56752fa.JPG

8d22ba82-65b2-4073-acff-088649bc51aa.JPG

On 11/25/2021 at 3:30 PM, W@nted said:

With which head units are the issues with?

The issues are not with the head units; it's with the strap/HRM. I had the same result irrespective of what devices it was paired with. Could be a Garmin Forerunner 935, Garmin Edge 530, TrainerRoad running on an iPad or Zwift running on a Windows laptop; same result.