Brake Rotors - quality/performance vs price

Bjorn881

I have decided I want to also run a 200mm rotor on the rear of my Enduro bike, I'm currently using Sram Code RSC brakes. When looking at the price of rotors, Shimano and TRP are similar in price however Sram is about 50% more than the aforementioned brands, are the Sram rotors worth the extra cash? Do they perform better/last longer? Alternatively is there another brand I should look at?

Look at Braking and Hope 

Former is much much easier to get(local stock levels( but both are just another level up from shimano pr sram imo 

I weigh 103kg and work my brakes hard. I use non OEM metallic pads with mostly Sram/Avid rotors. I've never had an issue with the Sram rotors but haven't ridden Shimano. I currently ride both at 180mm. Up front I'm trying a Galfer but I far prefer the slotting on Avid....just my 50c

Hope gets my money every time. Current set is at least 8 years old and going strong. Always used metallic pads. 

Braking performance is spectacular compared to SRAM on the other bike. While not the same brakes, both are 4 pot calipers and 203/180 discs

I've found the discs that are cut, rather than being pressed are much better. SRAM Centreline, Shimano IceTec and the Giant ones all work will for me. The pressed Shimano ones always left a lot be be desired even with metal pads. Running 200mm Centreline discs front and rear on my Pyga Hyrax with Code RSC brakes and sintered pads. Slows down the bike in a hurry!

Never had an issue with the SRAM rotors and pads either. Performance is race level. Longevity is also really good. Rear rotor is 3yrs old and only now coming up for replacement as it’s in the wear limit.

The cheaper shimano rotors work well but don’t last. The deore xt level rotors are superb just not the icetech

Some of the Hope rotors don't mate well with some brakes. The bolts joining the spider to the brake surface don't clear the caliper housing properly and they either doef doef or ting ting or just don't spin.

I'm a fan of the Shimano XT floating rotors.

Also watching...

Got a cheaper Shimano stamped 203mm (metallic compatible) rotor up front I want to replace, as I feel its letting down the braking performance.

16 minutes ago, thebob said:

Shimano don't make floating rotors. The braking surface can't move independently of the spider they are mounted to, unlike the Hope rotors

Sorry, the 2 piece jobby

rotor.jpg

17 minutes ago, thebob said:

Shimano don't make floating rotors. The braking surface can't move independently of the spider they are mounted to, unlike the Hope rotors

no they're not intended to be floating but the pins holding the braking disc to the alloy carrier wear so quickly the rotor is a floating indexed rotor within 1000km

21 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

no they're not intended to be floating but the pins holding the braking disc to the alloy carrier wear so quickly the rotor is a floating indexed rotor within 1000km

I have also found this. I prefer them to the hope ones as they have less compatibility issues and they work.

I'm not really a 'bling' pikey, so if it's black, rad. If it's black, even better

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

Some of the Hope rotors don't mate well with some brakes. The bolts joining the spider to the brake surface don't clear the caliper housing properly and they either doef doef or ting ting or just don't spin.

I'm a fan of the Shimano XT floating rotors.

Must be an advantage in puddles .......