First MTB race next year any tips?(35km)

Evelxte

As with most things it all depends.

Minimum is a mountain bike, waterbottle and a helmet. I have seen a few okes doing longer races like 40 km just with normal pedals and tekkies.

You can perhaps elaborate more on what you are aiming for. Is it a specific race, or a specific type of race you want to do  (like the Nissan trailseeker 70 km marathon or such). It gives other people a better idea of how to help you. Budget is also important, especially if you still need to buy a bike.

I dont know your level of fitness but I suggest you start slow and keep a decent pace. Lots of people blast off at the start of the race and gets overtaken later looking exhausted

What the others said. If you are moderately fit, you should be able to finish 35km route with less that 1000m elevation if you pace yourself. You won't enjoy it. But you'll survive. 

In order to look forward to and enjoy.... if starting from scratch, do 5-10km (150-200m elevation) ride 3xweek (use strava on your phone to guage) for 2 weeks. Then 10-15km/2-3xweek (200-350m)for 2 weeks ...etc. Untill doing a 20km ride without rests becomes very manageable. 

Equipment. (assuming you're a complete noob) . Reliable mtb. Hardtail 29er (26er if you're on the short side) is a safe bet with tubeless conversion. 2 waterbottles and holders. 2 energy bars. 2 gels. One bottle electrolyte/sugary drink, one ice water. Lekker bib short that you're gonna train and race in. Chamois cream (since you need it anyways). Good helmet, sunnies, gloves (short fingers are fine). Shoes that you're used to. Tekke/flat shoes and broad platform flat pedals are fine. Sunscreen, breathable cycling top. You're set. Oh ja. Plugs, small pump. Tyre lever, tube, multitool with chain breaker and masterlink (gooi all in saddlebag and know how to use them). 

Train (sommer 5am voor werk) with all the kit you plan to do the race in. Come rain come wind come scorching sun, you're gonna have a lekker day whilst many other cramp their way from the 15km mark. 

Do a few 30 to 40km trails in your area.  Gear and fitnes sorted.

Agree with Burger555 ..... DONT go out to hot !!  Been there, done that, cramped that .... :cursing:

For a first race .... start at the back and gradually make your way to the front.  If for no reason other than you are in control of your safety.  I have been on the front, with some youngster FLYING past me at the first corner.  They were going so fast they did not even make the corner and ended in the bushes on the side of the road.  

One thing to consider.  "distance" is just one part of it.  CHECK the elevation, make sure that your prep rides include similar .... 972m of climbing in 30km at Fine Breede have caught many off guard .... :P

Mostly ENJOY !!

2 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Do a few 30 to 40km trails in your area.  Gear and fitnes sorted.

Agree with Burger555 ..... DONT go out to hot !!  Been there, done that, cramped that .... :cursing:

For a first race .... start at the back and gradually make your way to the front.  If for no reason other than you are in control of your safety.  I have been on the front, with some youngster FLYING past me at the first corner.  They were going so fast they did not even make the corner and ended in the bushes on the side of the road.  

One thing to consider.  "distance" is just one part of it.  CHECK the elevation, make sure that your prep rides include similar .... 972m of climbing in 30km at Fine Breede have caught many off guard .... :P

Mostly ENJOY !!

Nice way to ease yourself into the racing circuit for the beginning of the year, you only need one race one word

Attakwas, you’re welcome ????

3 hours ago, MTBeer said:

top tip. don't do races. there are better ways to enjoy a mountain bike.

hint: check out Copperhead's posts

My heart and my brain is conflicted about you post ....  then again, my brain is fried after this week ....

YES, so much to enjoy with the multitude of trails.

And yet, some of the super Boland trails we can only get access to on race day ....  SO looking forward to being able to do the Stanford Classic one day ...

On 11/25/2021 at 7:21 PM, Evelxte said:

Hi I'm asking for tips or things I need to get for mountain biking

Don't try to approach it too scientifically. Just ride your bike 3-5 days a week on whatever terrain you can. 

35kms will take you around 2hrs. Padded shorts is a must. 

At least one water bottle, with your choice of energy drink. 

Some kind of pump, and maybe a multi tool with you. 

Wear a quality helmet (you should have this by now) 

Make sure your bike is properly maintained. 

My first mtb event I walked a good few hills. Held up some people on singletrack. Dismounted and spent some time contemplating a bloody knee and wondered what discovery would charge to airlift me out of the valley and learned its harder to walk down a switchback than it is to ride it. 

Hope yours is as much fun

8 hours ago, Mamil said:

My first mtb event I walked a good few hills. Held up some people on singletrack. Dismounted and spent some time contemplating a bloody knee and wondered what discovery would charge to airlift me out of the valley and learned its harder to walk down a switchback than it is to ride it. 

Hope yours is as much fun

The harder race day is ... the better the war stories.

Starting tooooo fast in Napier led to an "interesting day" .... cant wait to go back.