Why is it so difficult to buy or convert a bike to an EBIKE

FrogeyeSAJohn

For the last four weeks, I have been trying to get one of the EBike agents/distributors/ manufacturers to respond to queries on doing business with them with little success. Maybe the weather in the Cape is always Chilled and hence they are in hibernation.

Living in Gauteng does not help because all EBikes seem to be centered around Western Cape.

Short of spending up to R 100K on one of the recognised brands where does one go?

Feedback is appreciated.

John Reidy

I agree with the Chilled problem in Cape Town \.

Have you tried eBike Café in Joburg.  Speak to Graham.  One of the most understanding person in the eBike game.

Got my motor etc from him and did my own installation, Piece 'o Pie. and have never looked back.

7 hours ago, FrogeyeSA said:

For the last four weeks, I have been trying to get one of the EBike agents/distributors/ manufacturers to respond to queries on doing business with them with little success. Maybe the weather in the Cape is always Chilled and hence they are in hibernation.

Living in Gauteng does not help because all EBikes seem to be centered around Western Cape.

Short of spending up to R 100K on one of the recognised brands where does one go?

Feedback is appreciated.

John Reidy

What type of ebike ?

- road bike ? .... couple of affordable options

- MTB hard tail ? ---- R45k and rising sharply ...  I managed to get a demo from Darrvin for R25k

- MTB full suspension ? .... prices are stupidly expensive.

Then what type of motor?

- Hub drive (motor in the rear wheel) ?

- Mid mount (motor at the pedals) ?

The hub drive conversions MUST be done with a quick release wheel .... just the way they wire up the motor.  So if you are starting with a through axle frame this option is off the table.

I was advised that the mid mount has a number of advantages in power delivery and battery consumption.   The hub mount is a quick solution for commuters - big generalisation, but you get the point

Then you need to know how you want to mount the battery ..... inside the triangle, or a frame at the back (this is why you need to start with the type of bike, as this directs your options.

Now for the bit you find out tooooooo late .... you will want a second battery ...... and this quickly changes the total cost !!!!  Giant, Specialized etc are in excess of R20k for a second battery.  R2k for the same capacity battery at Darrvin and a few other lesser known brands.

Affordable new/demo - contact Darrvin - https://darrvinshop.com/

For conversions ..... most LBS outlets have tried their hand at it.  For one reason or another few stay the course with this.  The company that truly knows their stuff with this is Chilled Squirrel - https://www.chilledsquirrel.com/

Having gone down this rabibt hole earlier this year:

- if you have a bike, then it makes sense to go the Chilled Squirrel route

- if not, a demo from Darrvin worked out cheaper and zero shlep to get going.  I have since done almost 1 500km on the Darrvin Connect.  VERY happy with this bike.  The only change I have made was to the gearing ... it just did not have the granny for doing Franschoek pass.

Edited by ChrisF

Feedback is appreciated.

John Reidy

Where you based ? 

Got A large powerfly 5 on my floor 

But another +1 for chilled squirrel if you want to convert an existing bike 

Feedback is appreciated.

John Reidy

Powerfly4 , whoops ????

1 hour ago, BaGearA said:

Where you based ? 

Got A large powerfly 5 on my floor 

But another +1 for chilled squirrel if you want to convert an existing bike 

Based in Edenvale but the whole of Gauteng is great.

Just managed to find someone to convert my Dual Susp MTB

8 hours ago, Sepia said:

I agree with the Chilled problem in Cape Town \.

Have you tried eBike Café in Joburg.  Speak to Graham.  One of the most understanding person in the eBike game.

Got my motor etc from him and did my own installation, Piece 'o Pie. and have never looked back.

Thanks. I have my wife's bike with Graham at the moment for a conversion. Super guy. I was going down the road of doing it myself but his charge of R 2500 to do the job didn't warrant it.

What motor did you go for and what type of bike is it?

I bought a Moustache about six weeks ago and could not be happier.

Regards

John Reidy

082 789-6555

Moustache.jpg

6 hours ago, ChrisF said:

What type of ebike ?

- road bike ? .... couple of affordable options

- MTB hard tail ? ---- R45k and rising sharply ...  I managed to get a demo from Darrvin for R25k

- MTB full suspension ? .... prices are stupidly expensive.

Then what type of motor?

- Hub drive (motor in the rear wheel) ?

- Mid mount (motor at the pedals) ?

The hub drive conversions MUST be done with a quick release wheel .... just the way they wire up the motor.  So if you are starting with a through axle frame this option is off the table.

I was advised that the mid mount has a number of advantages in power delivery and battery consumption.   The hub mount is a quick solution for commuters - big generalisation, but you get the point

Then you need to know how you want to mount the battery ..... inside the triangle, or a frame at the back (this is why you need to start with the type of bike, as this directs your options.

Now for the bit you find out tooooooo late .... you will want a second battery ...... and this quickly changes the total cost !!!!  Giant, Specialized etc are in excess of R20k for a second battery.  R2k for the same capacity battery at Darrvin and a few other lesser known brands.

Affordable new/demo - contact Darrvin - https://darrvinshop.com/

For conversions ..... most LBS outlets have tried their hand at it.  For one reason or another few stay the course with this.  The company that truly knows their stuff with this is Chilled Squirrel - https://www.chilledsquirrel.com/

Having gone down this rabibt hole earlier this year:

- if you have a bike, then it makes sense to go the Chilled Squirrel route

- if not, a demo from Darrvin worked out cheaper and zero shlep to get going.  I have since done almost 1 500km on the Darrvin Connect.  VERY happy with this bike.  The only change I have made was to the gearing ... it just did not have the granny for doing Franschoek pass.

Hi Chris

Thanks for your thoughts. The Chilled guys from Cape Town are obviously very busy as It's two weeks since I last asked a question, no reply. A week since I requested to upgrade a bike. Not even the curtesy of a reply.

I found EBike Cafe at Kyalami who are now doing a conversion on a small dual suspension MTB for my wife. Mid mount Bafang motor. Graham, who runs the show, is very helpful and nothing seems to be too much effort for him.

Regards

John

082 789-6555

13 hours ago, FrogeyeSA said:

Feedback is appreciated.

John Reidy

13 minutes ago, FrogeyeSA said:

Thanks. I have my wife's bike with Graham at the moment for a conversion. Super guy. I was going down the road of doing it myself but his charge of R 2500 to do the job didn't warrant it.

What motor did you go for and what type of bike is it?

I bought a Moustache about six weeks ago and could not be happier.

Regards

John Reidy

082 789-6555

Moustache.jpg

sounds like you already answered your own question!!!!

26 minutes ago, FrogeyeSA said:

Hi Chris

Thanks for your thoughts. The Chilled guys from Cape Town are obviously very busy as It's two weeks since I last asked a question, no reply. A week since I requested to upgrade a bike. Not even the curtesy of a reply.

I found EBike Cafe at Kyalami who are now doing a conversion on a small dual suspension MTB for my wife. Mid mount Bafang motor. Graham, who runs the show, is very helpful and nothing seems to be too much effort for him.

Regards

John

082 789-6555

Being a local helped, as I could walk into their store .... got most of my answers during that visit.

My second email asking more questions was never answered ..... :cursing:  Seems comms is not their strong point.

But their work certainly is right up there :thumbup:

1 hour ago, Shebeen said:

sounds like you already answered your own question!!!!

It sometimes helps to share experiences with others, even after the fact. John

28 minutes ago, FrogeyeSA said:

Why would they look awful? As an ultimate rubber, your comment is not really appropriate.

You're a bit of a hoot. As an ultimate hubber, I declare your rookie comment, inappropriate . So there. ????