Low Cost Electric Commuter

JayLow

I took the plunge and got myself a @Titan Racing Bikes e-Transporter Amsterdam from @Chris Willemse Cycles on Saturday. I was very impressed with what it looked like in real life (it's pretty!), plus they had my size (XL for 1.92m). So I took it for a test ride and the 350W hub motor was a notable extra puff for my 92kgs. As soon as I got home I tested it out on the one climb that's on my way to work. It's 2km long and climbs about 100m, the rest of the way is downhill and I can almost freewheel. On the ebike i was able to go up the hill without working up a sweat. Usually I spin up for 10min at 150bpm, and with max assistance from the ebike it was 5min at 130bpm. So twice as fast and half as difficult - perfection! 

So this morning I used it to get to work, only to have the motor cut out on me as soon as I crested the hill. Phoned CWC and Steven arranged to collect the bike - apparently there's a faulty sensor known issue. I'm due to get the bike back tomorrow and will keep you posted on the experience.

I feel like this bike is excellent value for money - R21k for 350W and a good looker, with local representation and good support from the store too. There's also a fair bit of warranty coverage from Titan, which gives peace of mind. I specified it on my insurance and got a lock so I am basically going to avoid my thirsty vintage SUV for 90% of my daily driving needs.

Currently @BIKE ADDICT has them on special for under R22k, and CWC will match prices (as they did for me, after the fact!

I know it's early days but so far I am happy, despite the fault. 

https://titanracingbikes.com/bikes/transporter-amsterdam/

https://bike-addict.co.za/collections/bicycles?filter.p.product_type=E-Bike&filter.p.vendor=Titan

Edited by JayLow

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, JayLow said:

I took the plunge and got myself a @Titan Racing Bikes e-Transporter Amsterdam from @Chris Willemse Cycles on Saturday. I was very impressed with what it looked like in real life (it's pretty!), plus they had my size (XL for 1.92m). So I took it for a test ride and the 350W hub motor was a notable extra puff for my 92kgs. As soon as I got home I tested it out on the one climb that's on my way to work. It's 2km long and climbs about 100m, the rest of the way is downhill and I can almost freewheel. On the ebike i was able to go up the hill without working up a sweat. Usually I spin up for 10min at 150bpm, and with max assistance from the ebike it was 5min at 130bpm. So twice as fast and half as difficult - perfection! 

So this morning I used it to get to work, only to have the motor cut out on me as soon as I crested the hill. Phoned CWC and Steven arranged to collect the bike - apparently there's a faulty sensor known issue. I'm due to get the bike back tomorrow and will keep you posted on the experience.

I feel like this bike is excellent value for money - R21k for 350W and a good looker, with local representation and good support from the store too. There's also a fair bit of warranty coverage from Titan, which gives peace of mind. I specified it on my insurance and got a lock so I am basically going to avoid my thirsty vintage SUV for 90% of my daily driving needs.

Currently @BIKE ADDICT has them on special for under R22k, and CWC will match prices (as they did for me, after the fact!

https://bike-addict.co.za/collections/bicycles?filter.p.product_type=E-Bike&filter.p.vendor=Titan

Thanks for your support. Remember to please register the bike for the additional warranty, and let us know if you're not sorted. Although, no doubt CWC will sort you out. 

• 4 weeks later...

Okay so for those interested, I've now had this Titan commuter for a month, and it has been perfect. The contact fault that slipped through assembly QC was repaired within a few days and CWC was kind enough to deliver it to me.

I highly recommend it for anyone with a commute that's not crazy hilly.

My commute is around 12 km, with 120m of climbing, mostly at around 6% with a max gradient of 10%, so the 350W hub motor is not out of it's depth (I also weigh 92kg, which does not make its job easier on those 10% bumps). My average speed is about 26km/h, if I optimise for maximum assistance (HR at about 60% of max all the way, like a brisk walk). If I ride any faster than 28km/h (25km/h on the computer) then the motor cuts out and I start working. My optimal commute time is less than 30min, so I would not really use this bike for a longer commute, but that's just me.

Once the chain wears out I'll probably drop the FD to switch to a 36t 1x8 setup, since that will be perfect for my commute profile - my cruising speed is 18km/h on the 6% climbs and 28km/h on the flats (or slight climbs), and these ratios will work just right.

I will probably upgrade to a tubeless setup when the current tyres are worn out, and maybe even try to install drop bars to turn it into a gravel e-bike, especially if Titan starts selling higher capacity batteries. The bike is light for an ebike, weighing only 20kg with the battery.

Anyway, very chuffed with my purchase. Already saved about R500 in car costs this month, and it makes me feel good, and it facilitates active recovery

• 8 months later...
14 hours ago, Zebra said:

…any update for us, JayLow?

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris! Thanks for asking.

I am still super impressed with this bike. I've now put more than 1000km of commuting on it, which is about 50 commutes over the last 9 months or so, averaging more than once a week. It's amazing to cruise past stationary traffic at 28km/h at the start or end of a work day. That doesn't get old.

Battery still lasts as per spec, and the 350W puff still keeps me sweatless (and I am a big perspirator). Except when the temp is 35'C, then no one will be sweatless.

I am looking to sell it though, because I changed jobs about 5 months ago and now I no longer have to commute to an office, as the job is fully remote.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2022 at 3:11 PM, JayLow said:

I am having a similar issue on my new charge E two. Does your screen stay on when the cutout occurs? My screen stays on, but there is just no motor on pedal assist 5 and going below even 20 km/h. Is this not perhaps the problem? @Titan Racing Bikes ? @Zebra tagging you here cause you responded to my message. 

43 minutes ago, vir0za said:

I am having a similar issue on my new charge E two. Does your screen stay on when the cutout occurs? My screen stays on, but there is just no motor on pedal assist 5 and going below even 20 km/h. Is this not perhaps the problem? @Titan Racing Bikes ? @Zebra tagging you here cause you responded to my message. 

Yep, my screen stayed on but the motor cut out. It was just a minor wire connection or sensor issue that @Cyclelab Cwc resolved for no charge. Pedal assist 5 should help up to 25km/h (flat road) and cadence above 80. When cadence drops too low the motor also seems to drop out, which has to do with lack of torque, I think.