Headset bearings supplier

NJW23

Hi guys. Looking to get some information from the tribal knowledge in this forum. I've been lurking a while but never posted.

I recently started pulling my relatively recently acquired BMC Fourstroke 26er apart, and it's becoming apparent the previous owner did not keep up maintenance...

The lower headset bearing is completely shot. I removed the seals and repacked it with grease. It runs better but definitely needs to be replaced.

Where is a reliable local to SA shop to source good quality headset bearings? The local shops in Cape Town near me I've contacted seems to only stock the cheap Chinese stuff. I can find FSA etc online shipping from EU, but I'm currently waiting week 5 on tyres bought from overseas coming in through DHL due to customs backlog, so would like to avoid that if I can.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

headset bearings are angular contact bearings - you won't find them from a non-cycling source. i.e. it's your LBS or nothing..

You might have some luck trying a bike shop with a big store room - e.g. Westdene or Northcliff in Joburg who might be able to find you some old stock in the store room.

You can ask your shop to get you Enduro, Cane Creek and possibly others.  Depending on the one you are looking for you may have to go Chinese or import yourself.

39 minutes ago, 100Tours said:

headset bearings are angular contact bearings - you won't find them from a non-cycling source. i.e. it's your LBS or nothing..

You might have some luck trying a bike shop with a big store room - e.g. Westdene or Northcliff in Joburg who might be able to find you some old stock in the store room.

LBS is fine, don't mind supporting them if they stock decent stuff, just seems the local guys here are stocking the cheap stuff which I'm trying to avoid.

Will give Westdene a shout thanks for the suggestion

14 minutes ago, FirstV8 said:

Try TVS in Kempton Park . Speak to Thomas 0825453717 . They carry a lot of hardly used spares . 

Thanks for the suggestion! Will give him a shout thanks

14 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

what size is the required bearing?

Don't have one one me now but recall them having the standard 1 1/8th inch dimensions. 42x30x6

Headset bearings are a minefield. We stock Cure Industries bearings, which we've found to be decent quality, because they have all the sizes - to try and stock OE bearings for every kind of headset you'll need accounts with about 10 different suppliers.

If they're standard Cane Creek 36/45 we've got OE as well.

31 minutes ago, droo said:

Headset bearings are a minefield. We stock Cure Industries bearings, which we've found to be decent quality, because they have all the sizes - to try and stock OE bearings for every kind of headset you'll need accounts with about 10 different suppliers.

If they're standard Cane Creek 36/45 we've got OE as well.

I'll send you a DM

41 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Do you have the cane creek 1.5 45/36 degree headset bearings?

How many do you need?