Which Ebike Hardtail budget 40k

Mamil

Once again consulting the hive mind of the bike hub

Which hardtail E-bike in the 40 to max 50k bracket for a beginner female cyclist (Size small) to ride on gravel and once the intial wobbles are sorted on very elementary single track and who is VERY unlikely to want to do anything riskier or more hardcore than that.

Suggestions please.

Giant LIV ?  Being punted as a "female specific"  bike it either sells itself or woman walk away on principle .... (have seen both)

Giant also have a couple entry level e-HT options.

Specialized "had" nice Levo options .... 2020 models got horrible downgraded with NX and SX components.    Okay, in fairness, the Scott also had NX or SX (cant remember which)

The Scott e-bike looks .... uhm ja .... I LOVED my Scott Spark, but just cant stand the look of the Scott ebike.

Trek had something on their web, but three trips to Best Bikes had me no closer to getting any details on these ....

At the time TITAN did not have an ebike, they do now.

3 500 km later on the Giant :

- LOVE the bike !!

- seriously dissapointed in the after sales service. 

- motor re-built at about 2 000km, bearings collapsed.  (had to book the bike in 4 times, even had to take a video before they acknowledged there was an issue) 

- R20k+ for a second battery

- Brakes were cr@p .... until I took the bike to Mark.  More than 2 000km later no issues  (crappy giant dealership workshop)

- Did I mention, I LOVE this bike !!!  It just puts a smile on my face.

- Small practical issue ... the triangle gets very small with the battery in the bottom tube .... so fitting a water bottle is an issue on many ebikes.  I can barely fit a 600ml in the medium frame, needed a Woolf spacer to make it work.

Moving away from the "main stream" bikes.  Well worth looking at Darrvin, based in Paarden Island.  They have some nice commuter based HT bikes.  They also do tourist rental bikes, and I managed to buy one of these second hand.  Done 1 500km on it in the last 8 months.  Damn good value for money !!!!  And only R2k for a second battery.  And YES, these batteries have the same range as the Giant batteries (properly tested on many 100+km days)

Darrvin now also have a "nicer looking" bike.  Frankly very similar to most of the main line bikes.  But this comes in at a higher price point, some might say too close to the main stream bikes.  Not sure what their batteries cost  Now if you could get a demo model of their new bike .... :)

As for answering your questions ..... with the lack of stock prices have gone ape .....  it may come down to a LOT of calls and emails to find out who has what, and at what cost.  Here is one number to get you started - Gert at Darrvin - 

Gert Stander

+27 78 0142090

Edited by ChrisF

25 minutes ago, Hairy said:

A friend of mine has put a good couple of thousand km on her Darwin using it as a commuter.

Your referral steered me their way ... :thumbup:

18 hours ago, Mamil said:

Once again consulting the hive mind of the bike hub

Which hardtail E-bike in the 40 to max 50k bracket for a beginner female cyclist (Size small) to ride on gravel and once the intial wobbles are sorted on very elementary single track and who is VERY unlikely to want to do anything riskier or more hardcore than that.

Suggestions please.

Hi, I have a demo Titan Nitric for sale on The Hub Classifieds, its from Valencia VBike in Nelspruit, it was used by the Boss daughter to do the Argus and then put back on the floor, check it out. Its a great spec - small frame, will let it go for R40k.

On 12/1/2021 at 11:32 AM, Brett MTBer said:

Hi, I have a demo Titan Nitric for sale on The Hub Classifieds, its from Valencia VBike in Nelspruit, it was used by the Boss daughter to do the Argus and then put back on the floor, check it out. Its a great spec - small frame, will let it go for R40k.

Pulled the trigger on this. Delivery next week. Thanks Brett